The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL Season Suspended

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, kilgore said:

I had a thought that maybe some savvy geek could put together a system whereby Canuck fans, or any team playoff fans, could download an app specially built.  Fans could make noise, cheer when there's a goal for sure, into their iphones, and the sound would be sent to Rogers arena via the internet. And then, like a massive multi person Zoom, only strictly audio, the sounds are amalgamated and transmitted loudly through the stadium speakers.  Even if some fans are delayed a few seconds depending on how fast they get the TV signal, it would still be close. Fun to see if a chant could be made that way.

No one steal this. I'm going to be rich I tell ya!  :ph34r:

I wonder how many people will be farting into their phones.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, theo5789 said:

I wonder how many people will be farting into their phones.

That's why this idea would never work, too many people would be doing worse that fart into their phones with no repercussions. Censorship delays would be too time-costly to jive with the flow of the game.  

But hey, it's be cool to see as part of exhibition or practices on a provisional basis.  

Me? I'd rather hear the raw, on-ice, player chatter. Hell, I'd pay a subscription for unfiltered. 

• Cheers 2

On 4/23/2020 at 12:32 AM, mll said:

people can say what they want about Bettman but that was beautifully said. he is very smart and eloquent in his regards to the situation ... until maclean just turns into a typical sleeze dog, never realized how slimpy he was in my years  of watching coaches corner ... then again I also confused racism with stupidity

Per LeBrun - Minnesota, Edmonton, Toronto, Pittsburgh, Columbus and Dallas are among the 12 cities that are currently being vetted to be one of the centralised sites once/if the season resumes.  He believes that Buffalo and Carolina are out of the running.

They seem to be aiming for 4 sites but it could come down to only 2-3.  It won't necessarily be division or conference based.  

The Athletic writers ranked the cities by tier based on the criteria defined by the league and the Covid-19 situation.

Leaders - Columbus, Edmonton, Minnesota, Toronto

Strong possibilities - Dallas, Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay, Vegas

Fall back options - Arizona, Buffalo, Carolina, Colorado, Detroit, St Louis, Vancouver

Not happening - ANA, BOS, CGY, CHI, FLA, LAK, MTL, NSH, NJD, NYI, NYR, OTT, PHI, SJS, WSH, WPG 

13 hours ago, Green Building said:

That's why this idea would never work, too many people would be doing worse that fart into their phones with no repercussions. Censorship delays would be too time-costly to jive with the flow of the game.  

But hey, it's be cool to see as part of exhibition or practices on a provisional basis.  

Me? I'd rather hear the raw, on-ice, player chatter. Hell, I'd pay a subscription for unfiltered. 

I would argue that with thousands of fans participating, it would all just be a cacophony of noise.  You wouldn't be able to pick out individual fart noises etc.   Its more for the players than anyone else, just a roar of fan support going up and down as the play warrants. Imagine the uptake during a PP with half of fans shouting even if not in sync.   Of course  you'd get a fair amount of "Shoot the puck!!!"  which my annoying sister in law screamed the whole time Canucks were on the PP when we shared a game pack with them.  But I think overall the aural support would help them instead of going full cold turkey silence.

But yeah, if I had my druthers, you'd be able to order a second package for hockey games. Not just during the pandemic. Adults advisory warning. Where all you hear all the sounds on the ice, the colourful chatter, as well as the simple sounds of skates and pucks bouncing off the boards, and slap shots etc.  I loved it back when there was a strike at CBC and there were no PBP or colour men. Its more like you are right there at the arena.

Edited by kilgore
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kilgore said:

But yeah, if I had my druthers, you'd be able to order a second package for hockey games. Not just during the pandemic. Adults advisory warning. Where all you hear all the sounds on the ice, the colourful chatter, as well as the simple sounds of skates and pucks bouncing off the boards, and slap shots etc.  I loved it back when there was a strike at CBC and there were no PBP or colour men. Its more like you are right there at the arena.

Would be so much better.   HNIC's PBP crew would likely give heavy pushback though because no hockey fan in their right mind is going to voluntarily listen to Randorf or any of the other scumbags currently employed by Sportsnet.  Cheaper long-term, better atmosphere, and fans can feel good about knowing that Randorf has no prospects of employment.

10 hours ago, mll said:

Per LeBrun - Minnesota, Edmonton, Toronto, Pittsburgh, Columbus and Dallas are among the 12 cities that are currently being vetted to be one of the centralised sites once/if the season resumes.  He believes that Buffalo and Carolina are out of the running.

They seem to be aiming for 4 sites but it could come down to only 2-3.  It won't necessarily be division or conference based.  

The Athletic writers ranked the cities by tier based on the criteria defined by the league and the Covid-19 situation.

Leaders - Columbus, Edmonton, Minnesota, Toronto

Strong possibilities - Dallas, Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay, Vegas

Fall back options - Arizona, Buffalo, Carolina, Colorado, Detroit, St Louis, Vancouver

Not happening - ANA, BOS, CGY, CHI, FLA, LAK, MTL, NSH, NJD, NYI, NYR, OTT, PHI, SJS, WSH, WPG 

Not really understanding that list unless Bettman has already talked with the NBA and determined they won’t be playing in Toronto or Dallas. One of the requirements is that it’s not a shared facility.

Also Dallas in July and August adds more of a challenge to ice maintenance.

Minnesota, Edmonton, Pittsburgh and Toronto would make the most sense to me.

On 4/17/2020 at 7:12 AM, ABNuck said:

I'd say it's time to bite the bullet so that this mess doesn't spill over (delayed draft, delayed start to next season, delayed expansion draft...continual ripple effect). My proposal:

Start the playoffs now with top 8 teams...top 8 teams right now are also the same 8 teams with the best winning percentage (BOS / STL / COL / TBL / WSH / PHI / PIT / VGK)...in all likelihood these are the 8 teams that would stand the best chance to run through to 2nd round anyways.

Go with neutral sites: Saskatoon SK & Grand Forks ND for Round 1 at least (can revert to team arenas if lockdown gets removed for RD2 / RD3).

Round 1 is Best-of-five (seed teams 1 thru 8), round 2 & 3 best-of-seven. Award the SC this year...if we can start this tournament by May 1st then round 1 would be done by May 10th, round 2 would be May 13th to 26th. SCF runs May 30th to June 12th max.

Hold draft lottery on June 15th (bottom 10 teams in lottery for #1 pick, bottom 15 teams in lottery for #2 pick, bottom 20 teams for #3, then everyone else falls into place). Hold the virtual draft (if needed) on June 23rd.

Let's be done with this mess sooner rather than later so that we can all move forward with 2020-21 season as normal.

I like your draft lottery

they should use that method in future if they insist on keeping the lottery,

which I disagree with but I don't see them changing

Edited by lmm

On 4/30/2020 at 2:49 PM, Timbermen said:

Really sick of reading " i have no interest in hockey in July". Shut up and don't watch it then, why should the rest of us miss it because you're not a real fan. If they can find a way they will, if you don't like it, P off.

Because maybe people rather enjoy the sun or do outdoor activities, and not be stuck in the house longer than they should be, once this pandemic is over. 

I’m sorry, but to some people life doesn’t revolve around hockey. It doesn’t make them less of a fan than others. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

On 5/5/2020 at 6:31 AM, shiznak said:

I’m sorry, but to some people life doesn’t revolve around hockey. It doesn’t make them less of a fan than others. 

Dunno, that sounds pretty contradictory to me.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 5/5/2020 at 6:31 AM, shiznak said:

Because maybe people rather enjoy the sun or do outdoor activities, and not be stuck in the house longer than they should be, once this pandemic is over. 

Lol. A Canuck game is 2.5 hours every second day and you can choose not to watch it. If there were games in July, sometimes I'd watch them and sometimes I wouldn't. But I wouldn't cry about the fact that a game was on. I would love for hockey to be on in July so that I can at least have the option to watch a game or not. 

The last line of your post makes zero sense. I don't really think that my life revolves around hockey. By definition, that makes me less of a fan than others. 

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Kragar said:

Dunno, that sounds pretty contradictory to me.

1 hour ago, Down by the River said:

Lol. A Canuck game is 2.5 hours every second day and you can choose not to watch it. If there were games in July, sometimes I'd watch them and sometimes I wouldn't. But I wouldn't cry about the fact that a game was on. I would love for hockey to be on in July so that I can at least have the option to watch a game or not. 

The last line of your post makes zero sense. I don't really think that my life revolves around hockey. By definition, that makes me less of a fan than others. 

The original post said hockey games/fans. Therefore, you wouldn’t be just watching Canucks’ games, but other teams’ games as well. Which will probably take at least 6 hours a day, everyday. 

You also have to assume schools and businesses are re-opening by then. People have jobs/school to attend that practically wastes their entire day. Or what if, you’re already out enjoying the outdoors having too much fun, and you just realize there’s a Canucks game in a few hours. Now you’re in a dilemma......do you rush back to catch the game or just stay out? 

As for the “life doesn’t revolve around hockey.”. Let’s put it this, NHL players are probably the BIGGEST hockey fans out there. Their lives revolve around hockey. If the season had not been suspended, do you think they watch/talk about hockey once their season is over, during the summer? Doubt it.

Edited by shiznak

@shiznak My only point was that your comment was contradictory: if someone was willing to forego the nicer, summer weather to stay inside and watch a game, that could make them more of a fan than someone else who would rather skip the game for something else.  All other things being equal, of course.  Doesn't matter to me either way.  I don't care what someone thinks of my, or anyone else's level of "fandom", and if anyone chooses to do something outside instead of watching the game, good for them.  That part of it is a pointless debate.

Anyhow, IMO, as long as the summer weather doesn't impact the ice quality, and the players can get in shape enough so we don't have a ton of pulled groins starting things off, I say let 'em play.  How many vets would retire this year, so this would be their last kick at the can?  For our boys' sake, I'd love to see them get some playoff time in, to better prepare them for next year.

5 hours ago, shiznak said:

The original post said hockey games/fans. 1-Therefore, you wouldn’t be just watching Canucks’ games, but other teams’ games as well. Which will probably take at least 6 hours a day, everyday. 

You also have to assume schools and businesses are re-opening by then. People have jobs/school to attend that practically wastes their entire day. 2-Or what if, you’re already out enjoying the outdoors having too much fun, and you just realize there’s a Canucks game in a few hours. Now you’re in a dilemma......do you rush back to catch the game or just stay out? 

As for the “life doesn’t revolve around hockey.”. Let’s put it this, NHL players are probably the BIGGEST hockey fans out there. Their lives revolve around hockey. If the season had not been suspended, do you think they watch/talk about hockey once their season is over, during the summer? Doubt it.

1-Why wouldn't you just watch the Canucks games and a few key matchups like before. unless you have NHL package you won't get all the games anyway. If they do broadcast every game, great!! Free hockey, take it or leave it.

2-I haven't watched a game without PVR in years. I set the Canucks games up a every week and wait at least an hour before watching it. Unless it's a playoff game, why watch it live and suffer through an hour of mind numbing commercials. It's at least a full hour of commercials during the entire game. So that means it only takes up about 1.5-2 hours each game and you can watch at your own convenience.

• Upvote 1

Latest update:  https://www.tsn.ca/insider-trading-sixteen-20-24-team-playoff-scenarios-are-all-options-1.1473696

What could the league look like if it comes back?

If the NHL can finish its 2019-20 season – and it’s a big if – is there a leading format for what the league’s structure could look like?

LeBrun: Well I think what’s starting to happen is perhaps some momentum. Now, what’s happened this week is Monday on the Board of Governers call, Gary Bettman, I’m told said that ‘Listen. Sixteen teams, 20 teams, or 24 teams are all options for a playoff format at this point.’ Now, again on Wednesday, in the Return to Play Committee call, I’m told that 16, 20 and 24 were again talked about as options. But of those three from talking to people around the league both on the team side and also on the players’ side, 24 teams seems to be gathering a bit of traction. The idea of a playoff format with 24 teams. Now, it’s not everyone’s cup of tea. I’ve spoken to some people who said well suddenly 24 teams that means you bring in a Montreal on the eastern side, you bring in Chicago on the west, the two 12th-place teams. Those two teams were sellers at the trade deadline and now you’re inviting them in potentially to a playoff play-in. It’s not for everyone. There’s going to be debate right until the end here but what we’re really seeing is the idea that after really really wanting to play out the regular season and involving all 31 teams, that perhaps those bottom-seven teams, who clearly wouldn’t have a lot of motivation to come back and play some regular season games and then shut it down again, might be discarded which would be just fine with them. But again, let me stress. Nothing is decided. These are just the conversations that are being had between both sides this week.

Dreger: There’s a lot of that conversation, you’re right. And you could easily adopt a play-in format that trims 24 down to the traditional 16 playoff teams. And by doing that you don’t have regular season games. You have three to six play-in games. And that means you can get through the process more quickly. And the reason behind that would be the preparation for a second wave of COVID-19. If the NHL once again has to shut down in September, maybe October, maybe drift into November, there’s a built-in break, and then they reset and get going on the 2020-21 season again as late as December. Now the other issue here the players’ association and the NHL are working through is what is testing going to look like? How is this all going to work? Who is going to be tested? How many tests are going to be required? I mean it could be a mammoth number of tests that are needed by the NHL and the NHLPA. And how quickly can you turn those test results around? So testing right now is an open issue for sure.

What are the financials of something like that?

It’s going to cost lots of money to restart the season regardless of how it’s done. Considering fans will not be able to attend games and therefore no revenue from ticket sales, is it even worth it for the league to proceed with the 2019-20 season?

Seravalli: Well that’s going to be the key question moving forward. A cost-benefit analysis that the NHL and the NHLPA have undergone. Look, when you talk about testing, two teams told me today that it could cost up to $20 per test to have a player or staff member tested. The question is how many teams are going to be involved when you start to do this math, how many people are going to need to be tested? How often? If it’s daily, it’s pretty easy to see these tests wind up in the millions if not in the tens of millions of dollars to conduct. And then in addition to that, how much does it cost to sanitize the locker rooms, the arenas that you’re going to need to play in? Teams were telling me $15,000 per dressing room to be sanitized per day. They’re still trying to figure out how the rest of the facility would need to be sanitized, but these are all mounting expenses. So far, to this point the NHL has determined that the juice would be worth the squeeze but we’ll see as these continue to add up.