The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL Season Suspended

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, RRypien37 said:

How's that Ebola panic going this days? Or Sars? Oh, wait.

I'll meet you at the underground bunker in an hour!

Nobody is saying this is the end of the world. It will pass just like H1N1, Sars, Ebola, but that doesn't mean that it isn't serious. If it does come here, which is likely at this point, it may affect people that we know, which may change some people's tune

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Nobody is saying this is the end of the world. It will pass just like H1N1, Sars, Ebola, but that doesn't mean that it isn't serious. If it does come here, which is likely at this point, it may affect people that we know, which may change some people's tune

No doubt about that. The fatality rate still remains the same. My thoughts are with those effected and wish them a speedy recovery. 

• Huggy Bear 1

I guess we Canuck fans can de stress.

As has been said, NBA suspended season. So NHL will too.  The billionaires are lemmings. Don't want to look bad.

The NBA players looked pissed that coach shut it down. But that 'coach' obviously had been told by THOSE ON HIGH to do it.

What an overreaction to an aggressive flu.

Well I gotta go....going to buy $2345 worth of toilet paper...not sure why....

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

Right back at you. One day you will learn young one. The best way to control the masses is through fear.

You want to be worried about a serious medical issue? 1 in 2 people in Canada are expected to develop Cancer in their life times. The fatality rate? 1 in 4. 

Weird how there is no panic over those monstrously scary stats eh?

Rather than grabbing that head of yours, you should educate it. 

Cancer isn't a wolrdwide contagious airborne illness that is doubling in size every 4 days. But you wouldn't realize that. You can't even tell the difference between the common flu and coronavirus. 

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

6 minutes ago, ItsAllOursBoys said:

I would suggest you take your own advice and educate yourself. No one is suggesting that this strain isn't more easily contracted than strains, nor is anyone implying that COVIND-19 doesn't pose a threat. Those are really straw-man arguments that employ half-truths, the theoretical unknown and peer pressure to brow-beat opposition into silent submission. In such an environment, a balanced perspective is as hard to find as finding chastity in a brothel.

According to the CDC, since Oct 1, 2019, 34-49 million cases of the common flu world-wide and upwards of 20,000 - 52,000 people have died it. On average 45,000-50,000 people die every month from the common flu.

With this COVIND-19 strain, over the last 6 weeks or so, there's been 126,000 *reported* cases with 4,600 corresponding deaths. This initially seems to indicate that COVIND-19 has a higher death rate per capita than the common flue, but it must be remembered however that most of those deaths are occurring in China and the developing world.  If Chinese reports are to be accepted as authoritative, 96% of all deaths from this virus has occurred in Wuhan. Outside Wuhan, the death rate drops to .04%. Even with common flu vaccines readily available, more people have died from the flu over the 6 weeks than COVIND-19. 

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/preliminary-in-season-estimates.htm

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/index.htm

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/east-asia/mainland-china-reports-139-new-coronavirus-cases

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-04/coronavirus-spread-in-china-slows-drastically-but-doubt-remains

So stay alert, wash your hands, touch your face, take your head out of the sand and educate yourself.

Excuse me if I take the word of an internationally recognized expert in infectious disease epidemiology instead of a random CDC poster.

As for your death rate outside of wuhan? The death rate outside of china is at 3% right now. Pretty much in line with the worldwide number of 3.6%

.04% is way off base

Screenshot_20200311-192259_Drive.jpg

31 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

Right back at you. One day you will learn young one. The best way to control the masses is through fear.

You want to be worried about a serious medical issue? 1 in 2 people in Canada are expected to develop Cancer in their life times. The fatality rate? 1 in 4. 

Weird how there is no panic over those monstrously scary stats eh?

Rather than grabbing that head of yours, you should educate it. 

Where were you educated?

• Haha 3

when the nhl is suspended

the conference leaders

will send their captains

for the bettman coin flip

winner's team is awarded the stanley cup

there will be no parade route

no parade

each winning team player get the cup for a day

with a 2 day break in between for complete sanitizing before moving on to the next player

since all communications will by necessity be via cell phone or internet

the extremely heavy use will cause the infrastructures of both to fail

and people will need to say at home at distance from their family members

and books will be back in fashion and high demand

good thing i still have a collection

can reread them all if the crisis is long

have not read any of them in years now

2 hours ago, GritGrinder said:

If they put a cap on the season and then took 2-3 weeks off and then started the playoffs would be wild. Imagine if they announced that once each team has played their 72nd, 73rd, 74th, 75th (whatever # they decide on) game then thats the standings for the playoffs. Would make the next 10 days or so quite a ride.

Capture.JPG

So, look on the bright side if his happens.....NHL comes back, our team is healthy again!!! :)

5 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

So, look on the bright side if his happens.....NHL comes back, our team is healthy again!!! :)

Makes you wonder how they'll decide things though, if things go too long they may just skip straight to playoffs 

Could depend on the playoff picture of a particular day