The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL Season Suspended

Rate this topic

1 minute ago, NaveJoseph said:

With coronavirus, I think the hype is disproportionate to the threat. More people die from the flu in the same time period than coronavirus. Most of the people dying from coronavirus are elderly people with underlying medical conditions. However, that is not to say it shouldn't be taken seriously. It has become a pandemic. It's just that people are acting irrationally in response to it. If you wash your hands, and don't touch your face, you will probably be fine. Even if you catch it you will probably be fire, especially if you are a healthy young person. Going to Costco to get as much toilet paper as you can get, and self-isolating, is kind of overreacting. 

As for the NBA season being suspended, and the NHL most likely not being far behind, this is unprecedented. Is it an overreaction? Maybe. But it's important to remember that human life is more important than a game. If even a few deaths can be prevented by doing this, it would be worth it. We don't want coronavirus to affect loved ones who already have serious medical conditions or are up there in age. 

Just for the heck of it spread a substance on your face and try going 24hrs without touching your face....good luck.

1 minute ago, spur1 said:

Just for the heck of it spread a substance on your face and try going 24hrs without touching your face....good luck.

I've been washing my hands every time I need to touch my face. If there's an unbearable itch that won't go away, I will stop what I'm doing and wash my hands thoroughly before touching my face. Same thing goes for picking my nose, or putting my fingers in my mouth. I'm not too worried about coronavirus, but it's important to exercise caution and practice constraint.

5 minutes ago, NaveJoseph said:

I've been washing my hands every time I need to touch my face. If there's an unbearable itch that won't go away, I will stop what I'm doing and wash my hands thoroughly before touching my face. Same thing goes for picking my nose, or putting my fingers in my mouth. I'm not too worried about coronavirus, but it's important to exercise caution and practice constraint.

Nice way to live eh.......,

18 minutes ago, NaveJoseph said:

With coronavirus, I think the hype is disproportionate to the threat. More people die from the flu in the same time period than coronavirus. Most of the people dying from coronavirus are elderly people with underlying medical conditions. However, that is not to say it shouldn't be taken seriously. It has become a pandemic. It's just that people are acting irrationally in response to it. If you wash your hands, and don't touch your face, you will probably be fine. Even if you catch it you will probably be fire, especially if you are a healthy young person. Going to Costco to get as much toilet paper as you can get, and self-isolating, is kind of overreacting. 

As for the NBA season being suspended, and the NHL most likely not being far behind, this is unprecedented. Is it an overreaction? Maybe. But it's important to remember that human life is more important than a game. If even a few deaths can be prevented by doing this, it would be worth it. We don't want coronavirus to affect loved ones who already have serious medical conditions or are up there in age. 

completely and utterly false

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, spur1 said:

Is this over blown...hard to say for sure but it is looking like the death rate is much higher in countries that have open and honest reporting unlike China and Iran.

US is saying it is 10 times worse than the flu at 0.1 percent but China is saying 3.5% (all figures approx.) which means it is 35 times worse and the European numbers are suggesting it may be as high as 10% which means 100 times worse instead of the 10 times the US is reporting.

If the death rate truly is 10% then I can't help but think that hockey may be the least of our worries this year. I sincerely hope the rate is lower and this sorts it self out quickly however my optimism is waning quickly to the point I am way more optimistic about the Canucks. 

the death rate in Italy is 6.5-7%.  827 deaths in 12000 cases........according to the CDC that will double in 5-7 days, then double again in 5-7 days, then again in 5-7 days etc etc

8 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I don't imagine things would be pushed back. They'd play in empty arenas before that happened. Even without ticket sales there's still playoff revenue, and the NHLPA would likely balk at games encroaching on the offseason. Players love their time off and time to train for the following season. 

They are not going to play in empty arenas. The NHL is a gate revenue league the cost of flying players from city to city, the cost of accommodations, meals and anything else that is part of the cost will make the owners suspend the league. IMHO, the suspension of any league will mean the suspension of the rest of the season.

The cost to the players, league revenue will fall and they will loss all of their escrow payments, which at this point of the season they would be playing for free

Then there is the health cost, players fly charter planes but they board those planes by international airports, they then stay at hotels many thousands of people visit, and eat food that dozens of people prepare

All this adds up to not worth it

Rumours are that one of the options the nhl is looking at is to end the reg season and start playoffs based on either points or points percentage....Canucks for example under points would be out, but on % would be 3rd in pacific and facing the oilers. 

They are also looking at a full suspension/postponement

3 minutes ago, FutureFilm said:

Rumours are that one of the options the nhl is looking at is to end the reg season and start playoffs based on either points or points percentage....Canucks for example under points would be out, but on % would be 3rd in pacific and facing the oilers. 

They are also looking at a full suspension/postponement

On % we're tied with NSH, we lose on 2nd tie break being ROW. We'd miss the play-offs if the cancel tomorrow. 

Just now, Ossi Vaananen said:

On % we're tied with NSH, we lose on 2nd tie break being ROW. We'd miss the play-offs if the cancel tomorrow. 

I think most players and their families would rather not play anymore. I think especially teams ranked low ie; wild card spots know they will be out in 1st or 2nd round , those players likely would rather not risk it and not play in playoffs..

Pretty much not huge incentive to make playoffs and keep playing..this is bigger than sports, peoples lives are at stake.

1 minute ago, WHL rocks said:

I think most players and their families would rather not play anymore. I think especially teams ranked low ie; wild card spots know they will be out in 1st or 2nd round , those players likely would rather not risk it and not play in playoffs..

Pretty much not huge incentive to make playoffs and keep playing..this is bigger than sports, peoples lives are at stake.

OK, no one is going to disagree with your last statement.

I think it's awful that our season is going to be decided by this. We no longer have control of our own fate, that is a frustrating thing. 

17 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

They are not going to play in empty arenas. The NHL is a gate revenue league the cost of flying players from city to city, the cost of accommodations, meals and anything else that is part of the cost will make the owners suspend the league. IMHO, the suspension of any league will mean the suspension of the rest of the season.

The cost to the players, league revenue will fall and they will loss all of their escrow payments, which at this point of the season they would be playing for free

Then there is the health cost, players fly charter planes but they board those planes by international airports, they then stay at hotels many thousands of people visit, and eat food that dozens of people prepare

4 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I stand corrected, if a bigger league like the NBA suspended their season there's a very real possibility we don't see games or playoffs soon

11 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

That's interesting. I was thinking it'd include wild card, division we might be ok. 

They have 1 more point, but played 1 more game.   Canucks earn 1.13 points per game , we got them by 0.13 ponts.  They get wc2 edging out winnipeg by the same amount.  We get the Oilers. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Arrow 1983 said:

If it was primarily a gate revenue league they would not keep a team in Arizona or Florida yet they don't want to move out of those markets.  The largest income comes from sponsorship and market penetration rate takes priority over gate revenue.   

The league probably prefers to play in empty arenas than suspend or cancel the season.  Health concerns might not give them a choice.