The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Vancouver Canucks @ Arizona Coyotes | TBD | What's Interference? Edition

Rate this topic

Templeton Peck

4 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Rather best of 5, or even best of 3. 

Super short playoffs. 

Get everyone to the same number of games. 

If only they did best of 3 or best of 5 in 2011....

Edited by ruilin96
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

What are the chances of these games not being made back up and this is the season? Teams in now are the teams in the playoffs for when the season eventually starts up again. Canucks miss out with games in hand.

I don't think anyone knows tbh.

Just three days ago, no one was even entertaining the idea of cancellation. The apex of the crisis could very well be months ahead, it could also be better in a few weeks.

Regarding if the Canucks will miss the playoffs this way if the season resumes, I HIGHLY doubt it. If anything, the NHL will be forced to go off of point percentage I would think.

4 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

It sounds like they'll just pick up where they left off if/when they can resume?  Hockey in summer is fine by me...a responsible decision by all.  Wish our damn Gov't would get on board and take things more seriously too!   Cruise ships and travel should be out, completely.

All kind of logistics.

Contracts end

Free agency

The Draft

Clauses in trade deals

What ever they do, it has to be completed by July 1. Otherwise there is too much to do, some stuff just can't be delayed.

Playoffs ending in late August early September, players changing teams and then starting a few weeks later

Playoffs can be shortened but still have them.

First round a best of three or five with back to back games, one week and they are done.

Second round the same

One week off and then the conference finals with limited OT's and then 4 on 4 to shorten the games

Stanley cup finals just the regular series, best of seven with unlimited OT 5 on 5.

Then there would be the cap, with no games the cap goes down. For wome teams that is no big deal, even Toronto might have to jettison only one player to go down 4 million, they might have to let Barrie go.

But in Vancouver, 11 players needing raises? With only 8 to 11 million? Toffoli signs with LA or Anaheim who have loads of cap space now even if the Canucks let both Tanev, Stecher and Markstrom go for free they are still in cap hell, next year Pettersson and Hughes need an additional 14 million in cap space and that is conservative if they grind them down to 7 mil a season each.

Then this team is on the outside looking in depending upon the game number the league decides on, they might decide that game number 68 that all teams have played and then use tie breakers. This would be a failure to make the playoffs.

Hopefully they pause for no more than 3 weeks

All because of a wet market in China. They`ve really got to improve the health standards in some countries. Bats infecting animals and then sold as food? WTF? 

Anyway, I`m pi**ed, and becoming concerned for what the future holds, for all of us.

I`m really going to miss hockey, was just getting exciting and nerve-racking. Canucks were in a decent position to get into the playoffs. We got Toffoli and Boeser came back. What could`ve been. I am hoping that Toffoli signs with the Canucks, he`s a good player. I guess all we can do is take it day by day, hopefully they find a remedy and life gets back to normal. 

So what happens to our cap hit, if the league resumes and all our players are cleared to play? I guess Lievo could go on a conditioning stint in Utica? But I'm guessing Tanev likely won't be ready when(IF) the season resumes. These are just my assumptions.