The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If the season ended today, does Hughes win the Calder?

Rate this topic

smokes

Hughes and the Calder  

141 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

42 minutes ago, ABNucksfan said:

The coronavirus thread is that way...

image.gif.832d0a66b33dc864cab921a795109bc1.gif

There's no season being ended. It's silly. 

They're gonna finish the 82 games, QH43 will be crowned. 

The same maniacs stocking up on TP are the ones thinking the world is coming to an end and the hockey season (and all other sports) won't finish. 

There's too much money involved for the owners not to finish out all 82 games. 

Let's not be silly. 

If season didnt stop Canucks would of finished and be rolling with 106 points going into the playoffs and Quinn with his advantage ice would of put up tons of more points.

theres no doubt Mighty Quinn Huggy Bear Hughes should win the Calder.

Are posters confusing the Calder with the Hart?

I think so, judging by the team comments. This is an individual award, not an award for impact on the team. 

Look at the stats. 
Makar leads in almost every category except PP points. 

Hughes is right there, but Makar deserves more respect in here than he’s been given thus far. Two star D kids doing their thing makes it a bit tough, but stats help. 

I’d chose Makar.

If I was building a team and had to pick one of the two, id pick Makar as well.

If your entire assessment is based on watching Canuck games and NHL highlights, how can you possibly assess Makar? 

Just now, 189lb enforcers? said:

I think so, judging by the team comments. This is an individual award, not an award for impact on the team. 

Look at the stats. 

Hughes is right there, but Makar deserves more respect in here than he’s been given thus far. Two star D kids doing their thing makes it a bit tough, but stats help. 

I’d chose Makar.

If your entire assessment is based on watching Canuck games and NHL highlights, how can you possibly assess Makar? 

I like Makar too, but Hughes controls the game better.  IMO Makar will win the Calder though.  Although I believe Huggy Bear to be the better player, because he controls the game better.  

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I like Makar too, but Hughes controls the game better.  IMO Makar will win the Calder though.  Although I believe Huggy Bear to be the better player, because he controls the game better.  

Not at 5-5 he doesn’t. 

Irregardlessly, :bigblush:, I value defensemen’s defensive capacity more than I do their points, so voting based upon who has more points for rookies, just like the Norris seems to be these days, isn’t how I’d do it. 

Makar will win because he has better numbers almost across the board, plus it’s not a homer vote, so neither market will act as some kind of swing vote. 

It’s a matter of splitting hairs over two offensive Dmen for this year’s Calder.

It would be cool to see a poll, not on here of course lol, on which player the GMs would select to build a core with. Like I said, I’d take Makar because I think he is more dynamic or effective without the puck. I can’t see QH ever killing a penalty, but Makar, yes. 

Anyways, hope Hughes wins because he’s a Canuck and it’d be cool to win another Calder, or two or four in a row. 

• Cheers 2

A bit of a sidenote to this thread....

But on the point of preferring D who play a defensive/two way game.

Colorado has another pretty outstanding, somewhat under-the-radar 'rookie'/sophomore.

Ryan Graves - who Sakic borderline stole from the Rags - is having an unreal season.

9 goals

26 pts = all at even strength, with the exception of two shorthanded pts.

19 minutes a game.

49.7% ozone starts, 50.5% corsi (arguably better 'underlying numbers' than Makar).

150 blocks, 112 hits.

2nd leading penalty killer at nearly 3 minutes a night.

And +40  - on fairly level ice (if not hard minutes).

He's a bit older at 24 yrs, but WOW - what an unreal season - at any age/stage of development.  Played 26 games last year - so he's technically not a 'rookie' - the cutoff is 25 games - but he's as borderline a 'rookie'/sophomore as they come (imo should likely still be considered a rookie at a mere 26 games of NHL experience entering the season).

And to think, they still have Timmins - and Bryram on the way.

Sakic got Graves as an "AHL" swap for Chris Bigras.

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Hughes is playing a bigger role, playing better defensively, and on a weaker team, while being one full year younger.

Makar is ripping it up on a stacked team.  Defensively he has more issues, but his 50 points in 53 games over hughes 53 points in 68 games, stats scouts will jump onto that without probably ever seeing both play. Hughes play a better rounded defensive game at this point and have already been playing shut down minutes. 

Hughes for me, but I don't really give a damn anymore.

On 3/14/2020 at 2:40 PM, oldnews said:

A bit of a sidenote to this thread....

But on the point of preferring D who play a defensive/two way game.

Colorado has another pretty outstanding, somewhat under-the-radar 'rookie'/sophomore.

Ryan Graves - who Sakic borderline stole from the Rags - is having an unreal season.

9 goals

26 pts = all at even strength, with the exception of two shorthanded pts.

19 minutes a game.

49.7% ozone starts, 50.5% corsi (arguably better 'underlying numbers' than Makar).

150 blocks, 112 hits.

2nd leading penalty killer at nearly 3 minutes a night.

And +40  - on fairly level ice (if not hard minutes).

He's a bit older at 24 yrs, but WOW - what an unreal season - at any age/stage of development.  Played 26 games last year - so he's technically not a 'rookie' - the cutoff is 25 games - but he's as borderline a 'rookie'/sophomore as they come (imo should likely still be considered a rookie at a mere 26 games of NHL experience entering the season).

And to think, they still have Timmins - and Bryram on the way.

Sakic got Graves as an "AHL" swap for Chris Bigras.

Most years this would be Calder finalist stuff (Ohlund style) or at least be getting substantial attention.

It has just been a crazy rookie year with two Phil Housley / Larry Murphy-esque guys emerging at the same time (either of whom would own the Calder most years).  It's kind of like that goalie season where Luongo and Brodeur both tied or beat Bernie Parent's win record, but had the bad luck to do it in the same year, so neither won the Hart and Lu didn't even get the Vezina.

One of Hughes or Makar will get robbed...  And a guy like Graves doesn't even get on the radar.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

On 3/14/2020 at 5:27 AM, Kevin Biestra said:

If you look at the careers of many a Calder winner, it's not like they decided there was nothing more to accomplish in the game and called it a day...

Dale Hawerchuk, Bobby Orr, Dave Keon, Boom Boom Geoffrion, Gump Worsley, Terry Sawchuk, Syl Apps, Luc Robitaille, Mario Lemieux, Tom Barrasso, Brian Leetch, Joe Nieuwendyk, Mike Bossy, Ray Bourque, Bobby Smith, Peter Stastny, Denis Potvin, Ken Dryden, Gil Perreault, Tony Esposito, Ed Belfour, Teemu Selanne, Peter Forsberg, Martin Brodeur, Pavel Bure, Ovechkin, Kane, Malkin, etc...

Elias Pettersson.....:ph34r::)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 3/14/2020 at 11:56 AM, NUCKER67 said:

Didn't see a "The NHL Awards are canceled, and no winners this year" option, so I chose Yes.

Where would COL be without Makar and VAN without Hughes? I think VAN would be worse off. 

Had the 2 players been reversed drafted Nucker67, I am sure you would be making the same case for Makar

They are both good players that are important to their teams and both are deserving of the award

That being said, I don't get excited about individual awards on a team game, a goalie can make a defenceman look good, forwards scoring can help a dmans stats etc, they all contribute to each others success, and the success i am into most into is team success

4 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Most years this would be Calder finalist stuff (Ohlund style) or at least be getting substantial attention.

It has just been a crazy rookie year with two Phil Housley / Larry Murphy-esque guys emerging at the same time (either of whom would own the Calder most years).  It's kind of like that goalie season where Luongo and Brodeur both tied or beat Bernie Parent's win record, but had the bad luck to do it in the same year, so neither won the Hart and Lu didn't even get the Vezina.

One of Hughes or Makar will get robbed...  And a guy like Graves doesn't even get on the radar.

The reason why graves isn’t even on the radar is because graves is not a rookie.  

On 3/14/2020 at 1:51 PM, 189lb enforcers? said:

Look at the stats. 

I’d chose Makar.

I agree with a lot of stuffs you said except for the highlighted. Hughes is basically a full year younger than Makar and he is already very close to him in terms of production and play. I would say Hughes is a lot better than you give credit for.

• Cheers 1