Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Marc Michaelis | #56 | LW/C


Recommended Posts

On 3/25/2020 at 9:46 PM, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

 

Thanks for the rundown...and now it sounds like he should be ready to go within a season or so...given his age and skills...maybe he can turn Goldie into the sniper we were hoping for and they can come up together to join Tryamkin on what could become a top 4 D corp in that same time frame.

 

At the very least he gives us some skill depth at center and left wing and effectively replaces Madden on the depth chart.

 

 

On 3/25/2020 at 11:30 PM, Kanukfanatic said:

I would be surprised if goldy ever plays another game as a Canuck.

 

Why would you think otherwise?

Goldy has gown moldy. bye bye

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

This guy is very, very intriguing.

On the verge of 25, he's already fully matured.

Haven't seen anything of him but, it seems he's a great offensive producer and his two way game, apparently, makes him a great possibility as a penalty killer.

To get a player without having to give up anything is always good but this guy seems to have slipped through some cracks

I'm wondering why.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, komodo0921 said:

This guy is very, very intriguing.

On the verge of 25, he's already fully matured.

Haven't seen anything of him but, it seems he's a great offensive producer and his two way game, apparently, makes him a great possibility as a penalty killer.

To get a player without having to give up anything is always good but this guy seems to have slipped through some cracks

I'm wondering why.

I'm guessing but it probably had something to do with the fact that he was playing in Germany, on a Under 18 team in his first draft eligible season and was likely a pretty small player. He was a real offensive force in that league but never did much in International competition, didn't have an exceptional season at all in his 1st season in North America but became a real standout for all 4 years in college. I don't know if any team had tried to get him to leave college early or if he just wanted to get his degree.

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/19/2020 at 6:19 PM, YEGCanuck said:

Interesting Jimbo indicated he sees Marc as a penalty kill specialist. It also sounds like Marc is a person of character which is a characteristic the Canucks value.

My guess is that Benning sees him as a Motte replacement then.  He's most certainly not as physical as Motte, but started off his first two years of NCAA scoring at a much better rate that Motte.  Motte finally caught and surpassed Michaelis in scoring by his third and final NCAA year, but this might have been due to being on a stronger team.  Looks like a 4th line upgrade to me.

Edited by Captain Canuck #12
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

My guess is that Benning sees him as a Motte replacement then.  He's most certainly not as physical as Motte, but started off his first two years of NCAA scoring at a much better rate that Motte.  Motte finally caught and surpassed Michaelis in scoring by his third and final NCAA year, but this might have been due to being on a stronger team.  Looks like a 4th line upgrade to me.

maybe a sutter replacement. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to Marc Michaelis | LW/C
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Michaelis is a very complete player, capable of playing all three positions, and making an impact in all situations. Most likely, his best spot would be 4C (to start anyway), as he’s a solid two-way centreman, with plenty of skill and offensive upside, but also excellent positioning and defensive responsibility. He was a defensive force on the PK at the college level, and a dangerous short handed scoring threat. Also very strong on faceoffs. Skating could use a little work, but hopefully he’s on top of this, and using the time off to improve that element of his game. Michaelis certainly has the basics to his game to play a responsible two-way role in limited minutes, and also the skill to hopefully chip in some scoring at the pro level. 

This would put him in direct competition with Lukas Jasek when it comes to the skillset.  Jasek maybe more talented offensively and Michaelis more polished defensively?  

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, MrCanuck94 said:

Would be really nice for him to make Beagle expendable and add potentially more offensive touch to the bottom 6 and some needed cap space.

Beagle isn't the problem, we need a defensive, PK etc centre that plays hard minutes. 

 

What we need is to move Gaudette and some cap (Benn? Sutter?) for a solid 2 way guy like Tierney.

Edited by aGENT
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, aGENT said:

Beagle isn't the problem, we need a defensive, PK etc centre that plays hard minutes. 

 

What we need is to move Gaudette and some cap (Benn? Sutter?) for a solid 2 way guy like Tierney.

Sorry didn't mean it as a diss to Beagle, just as a way to free up cap and bring in potentially more offence.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, aGENT said:

Beagle isn't the problem, we need a defensive, PK etc centre that plays hard minutes. 

 

What we need is to move Gaudette and some cap (Benn? Sutter?) for a solid 2 way guy like Tierney.

Ottawa has 3 forwards signed for next year.  I wonder if they are even going to ice an entire team for the coming season.  Tierney is an RFA with arbitration rights so he's probably a guy they don't want to re-sign.  Gaudette would be way cheaper for them so Ottawa may entertain that deal.  I don't see Gaudette as a long term solution at 3C, and Tierney would be a perfect fit for this team.  Maybe Ottawa would take on Baertschi's contract, at least he would fill a roster spot for them and could even play in their top 6.  

 

If Benning could get a 3C who can play a 200' game and kill penalties and add a top 4 Dman to pair with Hughes that would complete our roster for the most part.  I don't see either Tanev or Markstrom coming back next year.  I can see Benning signing Toffoli to complete our top 6 while letting the other two walk and using the extra cap to get a 1B for Demko and a guy like Tierney and a young Dman to play with Hughes.  Re-signing Motte should be a priority as well.

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, MrCanuck94 said:

Sorry didn't mean it as a diss to Beagle, just as a way to free up cap and bring in potentially more offence.

Sure... But then we just have a hole to fill on the defensive forward/pk side.

 

Beagle isn't the place to move cap IMO. Roussel, Virtanen, Gaudette, Sutter, Benn... Sure. Our 4th line should stay pretty much as is IMO. If you want more scoring, the third line is where we need to look (see: theTierney discussion) as well as re-signing Toffoli.

 

7 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Ottawa has 3 forwards signed for next year.  I wonder if they are even going to ice an entire team for the coming season.  Tierney is an RFA with arbitration rights so he's probably a guy they don't want to re-sign.  Gaudette would be way cheaper for them so Ottawa may entertain that deal.  I don't see Gaudette as a long term solution at 3C, and Tierney would be a perfect fit for this team.  Maybe Ottawa would take on Baertschi's contract, at least he would fill a roster spot for them and could even play in their top 6.  

 

If Benning could get a 3C who can play a 200' game and kill penalties and add a top 4 Dman to pair with Hughes that would complete our roster for the most part.  I don't see either Tanev or Markstrom coming back next year.  I can see Benning signing Toffoli to complete our top 6 while letting the other two walk and using the extra cap to get a 1B for Demko and a guy like Tierney and a young Dman to play with Hughes.  Re-signing Motte should be a priority as well.

Yeah, I forgot about Baer for a minute there! Tierney would likely cost them a hair under what both Baer and Gaudette would cost and give them two middle 6 forwards. Baer is a short one year term to not block kids coming up and Gaudette is younger and cheaper than Tierney. Maybe have to toss in a 'B' prospect to make it happen but worth the cost IMO.

 

I don't see Tanev going anywhere but yeah I have a hard time seeing why Markstrom would re-up. We can't offer him competitive security.

 

Agree on Motte.

 

Ideally we could work something for an Erriksson, Virtanen and Stecher for Stralman deal as well. 

 

 

  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, MrCanuck94 said:

Sorry didn't mean it as a diss to Beagle, just as a way to free up cap and bring in potentially more offence.

You bring in more offense by improving the 3rd line. Sad thing is Gaudette just doesn't have the all around game to hang on the 3rd line. Although he did take some strides in the playoffs. I'll give him one more season to show he can be a good 3rd line option. But as it stands now moving out Beagle hurts more than it helps. Him and Motter were by far our best bottom 6 players in the playoffs, and Beagle has arguably been a massive anchor on the PK. A lot to dump on a college kid fresh into the league. Beagle at the very least needs to be on this team this season, and potentially the next to really bring along a replacement.

 

As for improving bottom 6 scoring we need to add a legit 3rd line center or hope Gaudette can take major strides this coming season and become that 3rd line center. Dumping Beagle would be a major loss to the defensive side of the game that our team already is piss poor at given all the shots against.

  • Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...