The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Marc Michaelis | #56 | LW/C

GoldenAlien

10 hours ago, aGENT said:

Sure... But then we just have a hole to fill on the defensive forward/pk side.

Beagle isn't the place to move cap IMO. Roussel, Virtanen, Gaudette, Sutter, Benn... Sure. Our 4th line should stay pretty much as is IMO. If you want more scoring, the third line is where we need to look (see: theTierney discussion) as well as re-signing Toffoli.

Yeah, I forgot about Baer for a minute there! Tierney would likely cost them a hair under what both Baer and Gaudette would cost and give them two middle 6 forwards. Baer is a short one year term to not block kids coming up and Gaudette is younger and cheaper than Tierney. Maybe have to toss in a 'B' prospect to make it happen but worth the cost IMO.

I don't see Tanev going anywhere but yeah I have a hard time seeing why Markstrom would re-up. We can't offer him competitive security.

Agree on Motte.

Ideally we could work something for an Erriksson, Virtanen and Stecher for Stralman deal as well. 

4 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

You bring in more offense by improving the 3rd line. Sad thing is Gaudette just doesn't have the all around game to hang on the 3rd line. Although he did take some strides in the playoffs. I'll give him one more season to show he can be a good 3rd line option. But as it stands now moving out Beagle hurts more than it helps. Him and Motter were by far our best bottom 6 players in the playoffs, and Beagle has arguably been a massive anchor on the PK. A lot to dump on a college kid fresh into the league. Beagle at the very least needs to be on this team this season, and potentially the next to really bring along a replacement.

As for improving bottom 6 scoring we need to add a legit 3rd line center or hope Gaudette can take major strides this coming season and become that 3rd line center. Dumping Beagle would be a major loss to the defensive side of the game that our team already is piss poor at given all the shots against.

Yep, I've been on the upgrade Gaudette side of things for a while now. Hopefully we can get that figured out sooner than later.

• Cheers 3

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

That’s good news. Michaelis hasn’t played competitive hockey for quite a while, so he needs to get back on the ice while he awaits the opening of the NHL/AHL season. I think the DEL starts their preseason tournament next week.

I see Michaelis as the forward counterpart of Rafferty - older, and more complete, more mature than the average player competing for an NHL job. As a forward, he is like Motte, a character guy ready to play in the NHL in the role of the players who don’t get a lot of glory - killing penalties, defensive coverage, but who also brings a lot of skill. This team could always use another Motte.

On 11/10/2020 at 12:33 AM, Ray_Cathode said:

I see Michaelis as the forward counterpart of Rafferty - older, and more complete, more mature than the average player competing for an NHL job. As a forward, he is like Motte, a character guy ready to play in the NHL in the role of the players who don’t get a lot of glory - killing penalties, defensive coverage, but who also brings a lot of skill. This team could always use another Motte.

I think Michaelis is going to be a good NHLer. I ran through a lot of comparable players and a guy like Carl Hagelin is someone I could see as Michaelis' upside

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

I think Michaelis is going to be a good NHLer. I ran through a lot of comparable players and a guy like Carl Hagelin is someone I could see as Michaelis' upside

Yeah, I agree with the Hagelin comparison - a very sound third or fourth liner at a reasonable cost. Michaelis was very productive offensively in college, so maybe a little more upside depending on his deployment - but translation of offense into the NHL is difficult - though I think that Motte has more offensive upside still to come - he is not unskilled.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/7/2021 at 8:34 PM, AbrasiveAjax said:

Wondering if anyone thats seen scrimmages can offer an assessment of Michaelis?

Thanks

They had Jeff Pattersson on the radio, and mentioned other than Hoglander of the forward group, Michaelis has really stood out. Always noticeable. I dunno if hes going to make the team though but any free prospect that has a good showing in camp is never a bad thing. Like someone said earlier in this thread, probably the Comets 1st or 2nd line C

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Michaelis has a shot at the taxi squad IMO. Very complete game and pretty much “fully cooked” as a prospect. Has shown well at camp, and offers a lot of options as a spare piece.

I was wondering the same thing. I wonder if time in Utica would benefit him at all. Might just be better to have him hanging around pro's and learning from the NHL coaching staff.

• 1 month later...

Thought he played a pretty good game last night.  Had  a few good looks in the offensive zone, and didn't make any glaring mistakes.  He could be a pretty nice AHL/NHL tweener who gets the call when there are injuries.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't loved or hated his game. 

More so wondering what exactly is he as a player.  Is he an energy line guy? or is there more? He kinda leaves me wondering what the bottom line is with him as a player. He has looked fairly okay the last few games, would like him to get more touches on the puck to see what exactly his skills are. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Haven't loved or hated his game. 

More so wondering what exactly is he as a player.  Is he an energy line guy? or is there more? He kinda leaves me wondering what the bottom line is with him as a player. He has looked fairly okay the last few games, would like him to get more touches on the puck to see what exactly his skills are. 

Would rather see Bailey back in the lineup as soon as he's healthy.  You don't have to wait long to see his skills.  They're pretty obvious, at least in flashes, in most games he plays.