The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Marc Michaelis | #56 | LW/C

GoldenAlien

13 hours ago, Pete M said:

so....if this is a replacement for Madden... if Marc keeps pace with a Madden's development, then JB really only gave up a 2nd and a conditional 4th round pick for Toffoli ....and Schaller...not bad if this happens, and if Toffoli signs with the Canucks.

I really hope that Benji can keep Toffoli.....Lord knows what is going to happen cap-wise as the season winds down

• Cheers 2

In the mean time the Bruins have shown their hand for the future and signed  Nick Wolff.

Wolff grew up in Eagan, Minn., just southeast of Bloomington, and went undrafted in his senior year of high school. He is a big (6-5/229), rangy, left shot defenseman with some valued snarl. ,

“Genuinely aggressive,” said Kirk Luedeke, assistant GM of the USHL’s Omaha Lancers. "If you’re a Bruins fan who likes toughness, this is like hitting the lottery. Probably a year or two away from being in the NHL, but think of him as an Adam McQuaid type with a little more range to his game.”

:lol:

2 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I’d say he’s faster than most college players.

The skating thing is a bit of an odd take, but I’ve seen it popping up a fair amount lately. As far as I can track things, only JD Burke has really said that Michaelis is a poor skater. Pronman said he wasn’t sure if Michaelis was truly an NHL quality skater. Malloy said that Michaelis was a very good skater. And Benning and the Canucks cite this kid’s skating as one of his main strengths

From what I’ve seen, he’s plenty quick for the college game, showing good jump and acceleration, and easily achieving separation in footraces. I think it’s fair to say that there’s room for improvement, but that goes for everyone. As for his skating being a weakness, I don’t really see that issue in my viewings of this player.

Time will tell how well he matches up against pro level competition, but I don’t really think of Michaelis as a guy who we should expect to really struggle because of his skating.

EDIT: One last thing. Picked up this tidbit from Mayor’s Manor (LA Kings blog):

“From what we’ve gathered, Michaelis is the Kings No. 1 target. They were interested at this time last season before he decided to return for his senior season – and their interest remains high.”

https://mayorsmanor.com/2020/03/if-the-la-kings-dip-into-2020-college-free-agent-market/

Nice to see us steal the Kings’ #1 college free agency target out from under them, especially after us trading Madden. 

Also have read that quite a number of other teams were also very interested in Michaelis. Looks like a bit of a coup for Vancouver, given the level of interest from around the league.

Once again JD Burke keeps talking out of his ass. I believe he also said Costmar wasn't a great skater (I'd like to see Burke on skates with how judgemental he is to others of their skating ability), while there were clips of him blowing past players. I believe he also remains adamant that the Miller trade was a bad one.

As for the Kings part, I guess we can look at the trade as 2nd and Madden for Toffoli and Michaelis. Michaelis must've been sold on us getting closer to contention and are hopeful that he can fill a depth role for us getting there.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I’d say he’s faster than most college players.

The skating thing is a bit of an odd take, but I’ve seen it popping up a fair amount lately. As far as I can track things, only JD Burke has really said that Michaelis is a poor skater. Pronman said he wasn’t sure if Michaelis was truly an NHL quality skater. Malloy said that Michaelis was a very good skater. And Benning and the Canucks cite this kid’s skating as one of his main strengths

From what I’ve seen, he’s plenty quick for the college game, showing good jump and acceleration, and easily achieving separation in footraces. I think it’s fair to say that there’s room for improvement, but that goes for everyone. As for his skating being a weakness, I don’t really see that issue in my viewings of this player.

Time will tell how well he matches up against pro level competition, but I don’t really think of Michaelis as a guy who we should expect to really struggle because of his skating.

EDIT: One last thing. Picked up this tidbit from Mayor’s Manor (LA Kings blog):

“From what we’ve gathered, Michaelis is the Kings No. 1 target. They were interested at this time last season before he decided to return for his senior season – and their interest remains high.”

https://mayorsmanor.com/2020/03/if-the-la-kings-dip-into-2020-college-free-agent-market/

Nice to see us steal the Kings’ #1 college free agency target out from under them, especially after us trading Madden. 

Also have read that quite a number of other teams were also very interested in Michaelis. Looks like a bit of a coup for Vancouver, given the level of interest from around the league.

Thanks for the rundown...and now it sounds like he should be ready to go within a season or so...given his age and skills...maybe he can turn Goldie into the sniper we were hoping for and they can come up together to join Tryamkin on what could become a top 4 D corp in that same time frame.

At the very least he gives us some skill depth at center and left wing and effectively replaces Madden on the depth chart.

1 hour ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Thanks for the rundown...and now it sounds like he should be ready to go within a season or so...given his age and skills...maybe he can turn Goldie into the sniper we were hoping for and they can come up together to join Tryamkin on what could become a top 4 D corp in that same time frame.

At the very least he gives us some skill depth at center and left wing and effectively replaces Madden on the depth chart.

I would be surprised if goldy ever plays another game as a Canuck.

Why would you think otherwise?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Destined for Utica - good thing, too, we need some actual Canuck centres down there.

Honestly, this is a good signing, even if all Michaelis amounts to is a dependable top-6, or even top-9, centre for Utica. The Comets need help down the middle, and have for quite some time. If nothing else, a guy like Michaelis could help stabilize a forward line and help develop our winger prospects in the AHL.

The upside is that he is highly versatile, has good character and leadership ability, plays a tenacious style, and can drive play. Michaelis can easily swap into any of the three forward positions, can play a role at PK, PP, and evens, can move up and down a lineup, and can play either offensive or defensive focused hockey. He has the potential to be a very useful depth piece, and possibly even a regular NHLer, if all goes well with his pro transition and development. He’s also very close to being “fully cooked,” given his age, and him coming off a full 4 years as a core player in one of the better college programs.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Honestly, this is a good signing, even if all Michaelis amounts to is a dependable top-6, or even top-9, centre for Utica. The Comets need help down the middle, and have for quite some time. If nothing else, a guy like Michaelis could help stabilize a forward line and help develop our winger prospects in the AHL.

The upside is that he is highly versatile, has good character and leadership ability, plays a tenacious style, and can drive play. Michaelis can easily swap into any of the three forward positions, can play a role at PK, PP, and evens, can move up and down a lineup, and can play either offensive or defensive focused hockey. He has the potential to be a very useful depth piece, and possibly even regular NHLer, if all goes well with his pro transition and development. He’s also very close to being “fully cooked,” given his age, and him coming off a full 4 years as a core player in one of the better college programs.

If you're looking for a 2nd or 3rd line centre for Utica I'm sure you can find on through Free Agency

10 hours ago, ohmy said:

Mannnnn. You can't troll Sid, he's far to knowledgeable for that. I feel like you must follow JD Burke with that kind of take. 

Yeah, most of Fred's posts look like they were imported from HF boards; they don't really belong on a fan forum like CDC. But whining about a UFA signing because "you can find on through free agency" is pretty ridiculous even for him.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

14 hours ago, ohmy said:

Mannnnn. You can't troll Sid, he's far to knowledgeable for that. I feel like you must follow JD Burke with that kind of take. 

Hey every one is open to debate. Signing Michaelis because he might become a second or third line centre in Utica isn't a good reason. I'll be the first to say Sid does a lot of good posts and insights but if that's the reason for this signing then I'm not buying. As to HF board I doubt if I've read it in many many years. I'm not disputing the signing the kid might turn up trumps but the reason for the signing is suspect. Never the less every one is entitled to their opinion …. including myself and Sid

• Wat 2

37 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Hey every one is open to debate. Signing Michaelis because he might become a second or third line centre in Utica isn't a good reason. I'll be the first to say Sid does a lot of good posts and insights but if that's the reason for this signing then I'm not buying. As to HF board I doubt if I've read it in many many years. I'm not disputing the signing the kid might turn up trumps but the reason for the signing is suspect. Never the less every one is entitled to their opinion …. including myself and Sid

For the record, Fred, I’ve never felt you’re trolling. In fact, I often appreciate you for keeping me honest. You definitely let me know about it when you think I’m veering away from objective commentary into boosterism. There are times when I can use a gentle reminder to slip my rose coloured glasses back into their case. I don’t believe that’s needed with Michaelis, however. I feel like I’ve given a fair rundown in earlier posts on why this is a good signing. And, if you don’t buy into my takes, I believe there are quite a few NHL hockey operations departments out there that would offer a similar view of this player (as evidenced by the strong interest from several NHL teams in signing him).

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

22 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

For the record, Fred, I’ve never felt you’re trolling. In fact, I often appreciate you for keeping me honest. You definitely let me know about it when you think I’m veering away from objective commentary into boosterism. There are times when I can use a gentle reminder to slip my rose coloured glasses back into their case. I don’t believe that’s needed with Michaelis, however. I feel like I’ve given a fair rundown in earlier posts on why this is a good signing. And, if you don’t buy into my takes, I believe there are quite a few NHL hockey operations departments out there that would offer a similar view of this player (as evidenced by the strong interest from several NHL teams in signing him).

I bow to your inside info, how many clubs were supposedly making offers for the kid? My thinking was a 1 year deal indicated a lack of interest, although thinking about it maybe the one year was related to his age

On 3/28/2020 at 11:05 AM, Fred65 said:

I like anything in life that is free.  Sometimes it is an useless item, sometimes it's good like free food samples.  Sometimes it's a good fit that lasts a long time.

I think you have to try to obtain players from anywhere and hope they turn into NHL players.   

I remember one year, a college free agent (Tanev) started his NHL career by playing his first game in the NHL playoffs.  Stecher was another college free agent.

Another non-drafted free agent started in ECHL and came up here to help slay the dragon.  I can't remember his name.   

Junior free agent Zach McEwen is going to be our  Josh Anderson.....not drafted, not traded for...free agent.

Brogan was a college free agent who signed in 2018 and one of the top scoring D's in the AHL in his first year.  I hope he turns into a two way offensive D man for the Canucks.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/canucks-college-free-agents-veronneau-rafferty-2018

Edited by stanleysteamersmyl
add on
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2