• R. Luongo
    • M. Ohlund
    • K. McLean
    • S. Smyl
    • T. Bertuzzi
    • T. Gradin
    • A. Edler

This poll is closed to new votes

This one was not terribly interesting, as we all knew Danny would very likely win. Now it gets interesting again. Edler dominated the nominations with 14 nominations and was added as an option.

Reminder to both vote and nominate another player to be added as a voting option!

For those of you who haven't seen these kinds of polls before, the way they work is you vote for who you think is the greatest/top Canuck at the position. As for what is meant by "Greatest" or "Top", I will leave that to each individual. I have my own interpretations, but others may define it differently.

The List:

#1 - H. Sedin

#2 - D. Sedin

• Thanks 1

This is where is gets tough. I'm torn between Bure, Linden, and Luongo.

Bure was an exceptional talent, and Linden was a warrior, but I'm leaning towards Lu.

It's tough comparing forwards to goalies, but I consider Lu a top 5 goalie to ever play the game, and he played his prime years in Vancouver. 

If I were to pick one of these guys to build a franchise with, it'd be Luongo.

Nominating Kesler.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Master Mind said:

This is where is gets tough. I'm torn between Bure, Linden, and Luongo.

Bure was an exceptional talent, and Linden was a warrior, but I'm leaning towards Lu.

It's tough comparing forwards to goalies, but I consider Lu a top 5 goalie to ever play the game, and he played his prime years in Vancouver.

Damn, that's some serious praise.  I wouldn't have anyone ahead of Roy, Martin Brodeur, Plante and Sawchuk.  But Lu at #5 means he's ahead of Dryden, Hasek, Hainsworth, Vezina, Parent, Cheevers, Fuhr, Esposito, Billy Smith, Ed Belfour, Glenn Hall, Clint Benedict...  Not necessarily saying he isn't but those are some heavy hitters.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Damn, that's some serious praise.  I wouldn't have anyone ahead of Roy, Martin Brodeur, Plante and Sawchuk.  But Lu at #5 means he's ahead of Dryden, Hasek, Hainsworth, Vezina, Parent, Cheevers, Fuhr, Esposito, Billy Smith, Ed Belfour, Glenn Hall, Clint Benedict...  Not necessarily saying he isn't but those are some heavy hitters.

I would have Bill Durnan (last goalie captain before Lui) and maybe Henrik Lundquist ahead of Lui as well. If we go outside of the NHL you would also have to consider Tretiak.

14 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

It's certainly debatable. I have Roy, Brodeur, and Hasek ahead of Luongo.

I think the talent pool of skaters has increased over the years, meaning Luongo faced overall the toughest competition of the bunch. 

Not easy to compare eras or situations especially for goalies. But based on what I've seen, that's where he ranks for me.

Still rating best player. Physically, no one compared, no one could stop Pavel Bure. The most dominating skater ever to step foot on Vancouver ice.

If they were throwing stick in the circle...

Still nominating Kesler.

Same theory.  

5 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Voting Linden, nominating Naslund 

Naslund's already on the list of options, so he doesn't need to be nominated. Do you have a nomination of a player not on the list of voting options yet?

15 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

It's certainly debatable. I have Roy, Brodeur, and Hasek ahead of Luongo.

I think the talent pool of skaters has increased over the years, meaning Luongo faced overall the toughest competition of the bunch. 

Not easy to compare eras or situations especially for goalies. But based on what I've seen, that's where he ranks for me.

Problem with Lou and many of those comparisons?

They dominated, were the best player on the ice when it mattered most.

20 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Problem with Lou and many of those comparisons?

They dominated, were the best player on the ice when it mattered most.

Lu dominated too. You don't get multiple shutouts in a SCF by accident.

People tend to focus more heavily on the negative. I suspect if Luongo had the Bruins defense in front of him he'd win the cup and Conn Smythe.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

Lu dominated too. You don't get multiple shutouts in a SCF by accident.

People tend to focus more heavily on the negative. I suspect if Luongo had the Bruins defense in front of him he'd win the cup and Conn Smythe.

Lou was the highest paid player in the world that year.

Wasn't even the best goalie in that series.

I'd say its fair Linden left more on the ice at the SCF in a losing cause.