The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Could Coronavirus Lead to the Return of Compliance Buyouts?

If teams were given a compliance buyout it just may give us the cap to solidify the team's needs. I'm thinking buyout Loui, let Stetch walk or trade rights if possible. Retain Tanev, Markstrom and Toffoli. Demko is tradeable in the future, in a perfect world we would be able to keep both Marky and Demko but I am hoping for the best. Reality would be one of them would be left exposed if we weren't able to receive something back in return for the stronger chance at a cup.

• Cheers 1

On 5/8/2020 at 1:45 PM, Ryan Strome said:

Scott Gomez, Chris Drury, Wade Redden, just off the top of my head.

Yeah, those are some pretty bad ones too. Eriksson, while his contract isn't the greatest, is far from being the worse in NHL history. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

On 5/3/2020 at 8:22 PM, Brock Botanen said:

Buy out Louie please.. 

I was a huge fan of this signing, but at this point this might be the most disappointing UFA signing in not only Canucks history, but NHL history. Feels like we just gave him a big fat retirement check. Or like I like to call them... the Yankee contract LOL

You obviously weren't alive for Messier disgracing the Canucks uniform.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, King Heffy said:

You obviously weren't alive for Messier disgracing the Canucks uniform.

I was alive but I actually used to be a Canadiens fan as a young kid. Kind of forced on me. Been a die hard Canucks fan since the Naslund/Bertuzzi days

6 hours ago, Brock Botanen said:

I was alive but I actually used to be a Canadiens fan as a young kid. Kind of forced on me. Been a die hard Canucks fan since the Naslund/Bertuzzi days

I have to agree with King Heffy that Messier takes the cake. He probably didn't even eat just one while he was here.

On 5/12/2020 at 5:55 PM, The Lock said:

I have to agree with King Heffy that Messier takes the cake. He probably didn't even eat just one while he was here.

Ugh. Messier. 

Those were truly one of the darkest seasons in Canucks history. What kind of leader was he? He didn't really do much for this franchise when he came here. Näslund says a lot of good things about Messier, but I think that says more about Näslund than it does about Messier. Canuck fans have long been privileged with such classy, upright leaders (minus Messier, obviously) from Smyl, to Linden, to Näslund, Sedins, and now Horvat and his crew. 

But what would have happened if Gretzky and Messier had come to the Canucks? Would we have a Cup by now already? 

On 5/15/2020 at 3:39 PM, N4ZZY said:

Ugh. Messier. 

Those were truly one of the darkest seasons in Canucks history. What kind of leader was he? He didn't really do much for this franchise when he came here. Näslund says a lot of good things about Messier, but I think that says more about Näslund than it does about Messier. Canuck fans have long been privileged with such classy, upright leaders (minus Messier, obviously) from Smyl, to Linden, to Näslund, Sedins, and now Horvat and his crew. 

But what would have happened if Gretzky and Messier had come to the Canucks? Would we have a Cup by now already? 

Gretzky cancels out Messier at best.  Pretty hard to win a cup with a cancer in the room.

On 5/15/2020 at 3:39 PM, N4ZZY said:

Ugh. Messier. 

Gretzky would have kept Messier in check. By that I mean give it all. Messier gave us very little effort. I could care less about the captaincy thing or the number 11. To me it was about winning and trying hard. Neither of which happened.

I think Gretzky would have kept Messier honest in compete level and we definitely would have won a cup.

I think we will have compliance buyouts, it only makes sense considering the cap will shrink due to an unforeseen loss of revenue. Not sure if a team like ours will be able to capitalize much considering we will still have further to go once that cap is lowered. 

4 hours ago, grandmaster said:

I think we will have compliance buyouts, it only makes sense considering the cap will shrink due to an unforeseen loss of revenue. Not sure if a team like ours will be able to capitalize much considering we will still have further to go once that cap is lowered. 

If the cap goes down. Then yes. There may be compliance buyouts.  But it’s been widely speculated that the cap will just remain flat.  In that case compliance buyouts are very unlikely.  Owners don’t want the extra expenses on top of the losses covid has already caused. 

13 hours ago, grandmaster said:

Gretzky would have kept Messier in check. By that I mean give it all. Messier gave us very little effort. I could care less about the captaincy thing or the number 11. To me it was about winning and trying hard. Neither of which happened.

I think Gretzky would have kept Messier honest in compete level and we definitely would have won a cup.

Because that worked so well when gretz joined the rangers?

Messier gave up once he got his millions from the NHL/ endorsements.

Wasn't he outside between periods hacking butts and hitting on 18-19 y.o men?

Every fan in of the NHL is dreaming of atleast one compliance buy out per team.

Van- Eriksson 

Cal- lucic

Ana- Backes or Kesler

Edm- Neal

Wpg was buff

Ott Ryan 

Tor doesnt count because they circumvent the cba anyways

Mtl alzner

Nyr- lundqvist

Nyi will be pageau 

Njd subban or Schneider 

Bos will be ??

Tampa johnson

Wash leipsic

fla bobrovsky

Car Zucker

Min rask

Sjs name a few

Lak nothing left

Arz They have several 

Dal Hanzal 

Cbj Jenner/ dubinsky 

Buff skinner

Stl allen

Det howard

Chi seabrook

Pitts guddy/ johnson

Phil hayes/jvr

Vgk a big money f

Col johnson

Nash- bonino/ turris

Seattle could almost start the expansion draft early!

Eriksson Backes Lucic

Neal Pageau Johnson tampa

Skinner dubinsky turris

Jvr hanzel zucker 

Rask

Buff Johnson pitt

Seabrook Johnson col

Subban Alzner

Lundqvist 

Bobrovsky

Allen

3 minutes ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Seattle could almost start the expansion draft early!

Eriksson Backes Lucic

Neal Pageau Johnson tampa

Skinner dubinsky turris

Jvr hanzel zucker 

Rask

Buff Johnson pitt

Seabrook Johnson col

Subban Alzner

Lundqvist 

Bobrovsky

Allen

Am I the only one that thinks thats a playoff team?

Edited by DeNiro

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Am I the only one that thinks thats a playoff team?

Haha yeah, maybe 5 years ago.

Seabrook, backes, buff, subban, alzner, rask, hanzel, turris, lucic, Eriksson and zucker

Are either not the same due to injuries, age,  attitude or being in the AHL.

8 minutes ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Haha yeah, maybe 5 years ago.

Seabrook, backes, buff, subban, alzner, rask, hanzel, turris, lucic, Eriksson and zucker

Are either not the same due to injuries, age,  attitude or being in the AHL.

Well I think guys like Bobrovsky, Seabrook, Subban, Skinner, Turris, Johnson, and Zucker would have something to prove if they were bought out. Might factor into having bounce back seasons.

Probably not a playoff team in reality but a bounce back by Bobrovsky and a few others and a return to form by Buff and they could definitely challenge. Their goaltending alone could steal them games. 

Edited by DeNiro

15 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Well I think guys like Bobrovsky, Seabrook, Subban, Skinner, Turris, Johnson, and Zucker would have something to prove if they were bought out. Might factor into having bounce back seasons.

Probably not a playoff team in reality but a bounce back by Bobrovsky and a few others and a return to form by Buff and they could definitely challenge. Their goaltending alone could steal them games. 

Yeah, your right.

I also think some of their old beefs may rear their ugly heads.

Seabrook vs backes

Alzner vs lucic

Just to name a few.

Not too long ago I heard Elliot say the owners were the ones dead set against it. I think it was on his podcast. Sucks if that’s the case. It would be such a huge boost coming out of the pandemic to let everyone cut dead weight and maybe add a real solid player who was bought out. Wouldn’t the trickle down of teams getting to add guys like Sven or Lucic on affordable show me contracts improve the quality of the game overall? They should just allow it to a point anyways if only for that reason. Maybe you get one every 2 or 3 years but make it a tradable asset so small market teams benefit or well managed teams get rewarded For not needing it. 

It’s the best league in the world but it could be better if we didn’t make such a point of punishing teams for things they all do to some degree. The cap is great. Every team has an even chance every season to build a winner. That doesn’t change if you allow buy outs. Everyone still gets an even clean slate next year to try and contend. Nobody gets to sandbag the league like the avalanche 20yrs ago haha. Plus just think of how much better the deadlines/draft/July1st would be.

Legalize recreational buy outs! 

10 hours ago, thad said:

Not too long ago I heard Elliot say the owners were the ones dead set against it. I think it was on his podcast. 

As a compromise, I wouldn't hate the alternate idea I've heard that the league simply allow each team one contract that doesn't count against the cap.

Effectively the same result as the buyout to the cap but the player is still available if needed, the owners don't need to buy them out/pay someone to not play for them, player still gets paid...

12 minutes ago, aGENT said:

As a compromise, I wouldn't hate the alternate idea I've heard that the league simply allow each team one contract that doesn't count against the cap.

Effectively the same result as the buyout to the cap but the player is still available if needed, the owners don't need to buy them out/pay someone to not play for them, player still gets paid...

The owners are against buyouts because they don't want the extra cost.  This would cost them even more money.  

2 minutes ago, mll said:

The owners are against buyouts because they don't want the extra cost.  This would cost them even more money.  

Yeah... but then they're not paying the buyout plus the replacement player. I'd imagine it's largely a wash. Might even be cheaper with back diving contracts like Eriksson's (I'd have to do the math).

I'd also imagine it would be accompanied by some sort of salary percentage cut back to make it all work.

Those two things likely adjust the cap/revenue drop to the new reality. I'm not sure how else they make this work. I don't see how a percentage cut does it alone but I guess we'll find out soon enough.