The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

issues

Rate this topic

smithers joe

Cap issues.  If the cap goes down hopefully they allow one compliance buyout for Loui but tbh the Canucks could use 2 or 3 of those buyouts.  Second would be the 3 UFA's: Toffoli, Marky and Tanev.  Lastly would be the Pepsi contract - they suck with pepsi, coke was were it's at - I don't even drink pop anymore but this fact cannot be disputed.  

• Cheers 2

defence. Whats the plan going forward? outside of Hughes-Tanev it was pretty bad a lot of the time, and its not clear (to me anyway) how much of it was coaching and how much was personnel. There's some key decisions to be made there - do they keep Tanev or try to find a value contract UFA? given how things are shaping up there could be some real bargains out there. Do we replace Stecher with Tryamkn? Is Juolevi ready? Can the new guys be successful under Baumer? 

The cap issues are very important but there are a couple of buyout options to make it work out for 1 more year and still field a competitive team. 

Is Jacob Markstrom going to be the starting goalie here next year?   If so, what will be his term/salary/clauses?  All other issues can, to some degree imo, be solved after this concern is resolved. 

• Cheers 1

Cap issues as previously mentioned, it's hard to tell what happens with the cap but if it stays the same or drops the Canucks will be in tough. Hoping for a compliance buyout or two around the league. 

Assistant coaches. Defense was a weak point more often than it probably should have been, but was that the players or the coaching? Or some combination of both? I'm more inclined to point fingers at Baumgartner. I wasn't thrilled with our powerplay either, one can point at where it sits leaguewide but it's inflated by the odd big game. Our powerplay often seemed feast or famine and it's inconsistency likely cost us games. I don't mind Green, but he could do with some better assistants. 

Edited by Coconuts

Good topic.  I think that Tre Mac got it - most of the other things we need are affected by this.

That said the following are trouble areas that need work:

1.  Defense - and this a team issue as well.   I like that TG lets the guys take risks - like Crow before him it makes for exciting hockey - however we simply can't continue allowing free range in our own zone.   A big part of this is who we currently have in the back end.  Myers faces a lot of criticism- but he's a huge upgrade over Gudranson and Del Zotto.   A big reason it Edler and Tanev finally got the relief they needed and played mostly healthy.  Myers was decent/good when Edler went down too. 

That said we need one more Myers like upgrade - and I'm hoping that's Tree.   He's huge, and will absolutely make things more difficult in our own end.   It also helps offset QHs size -  that said nothing wrong with him at all ...

Like to see more forwards coming back to help too.

2.  Offense.   BB needs to be the player we all know he can be and light it up next year - match or improve on his rookie GPG campaign.  Think all this time off is going to help him more then anyone get healthy .... and he's at year four now which is where most players breakout.   

Bear needs to go to make room for TT.   And possibly  Roussel which ties into what Tre Mac already pointed out.   There is no reason we can't sign TT unless he doesn't want to play here - a little tweaking and a modest cap dump and we should fit him in.

EP also needs to work on his conditioning so his game doesn't slide when we need him the most .... QHs .... just wow keep it up!   Adding TT our right side is sorted for years.   JV should be given a Bear like show me deal ... he's on the rise too.  Overall if these things happen we will have a dangerous offense.   It's already pretty good and should only get better.

3.  Team toughness.   Admittedly it's a lot better then it has been the past four years - however it's not there yet.  Love that McEwen has won a spot - and the possibly Tree is coming.  Regardless the team needs to stick up for each other and especially the Stars

4. Coaching.   Not sure this actually is an issue - don't think TG has lost the room.  However it's time this teams up and down crazy cycles get smaller.  Maybe the assistants maybe they entire staff - don't think the rope will have as much slack in it if we end up mired in a losing streak in say November with a healthy team...

edit: 5 Covid19 vaccination...the US is all over the map on how serious they are taking this ... could still be an issue next season - hopefully not 

Edited by IBatch
  • Upvote 1

Well, I kind of agree with all above

1. Cap will be an important issue, if we are wanting to keep and sign all that are important

2. Defense, is the big positional focus. My question is how do you transition from old to new.....I would like to see Juolevi, Rafferty and Tryamkin all playing next year

3. Coaching.....I do not like our special teams, as I believe we are scoring/defending on skill and not system.....I like Green, but he is rather old school

4. Development of prospects......call ups and playing time when called up is part of development, and I see it as the Canucks play for today, with no thought about tomorrow.

Cap issues are the biggest issue to me. Eriksson has got to go, one way or the other. One of Sutter, Beagle or Baer needs to be cut loose also, at least.

Next is defense. Hughes and Tanev are the foundation of the D, Edler and Myers are ok, but the remainder including Stetch are just overmatched, at least some of the time. Maybe Tree can upgrade Fantenburg/Benn and Rafferty can upgrade Stetch. Might also need to see if we can upgrade the D coach from Baumer

Next is consistency. We have the O to compete, but it's the night in and out consistency that screws us. I know the 9-3 win over Boston was just one of those games, but it also shows the upper end capability. Given that, then one of the losses to the Devils, the last loss to the Sens and at least one of either the Pittsburgh or Washington come-from-behind losses are not excusable. Coaching to blame a little here?

2 minutes ago, Father Ryan said:

Cap issues are the biggest issue to me. Eriksson has got to go, one way or the other. One of Sutter, Beagle or Baer needs to be cut loose also, at least.

even if that 'one way or the other' is losing a 1st round pick? because thats the cost to move him based on other cap dump deals. I think a buyout is better, even if it only saves 500k the first year, and then 2.5 after that. Lots of talk around another compliance buyout which of course is ideal. 

32 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

even if that 'one way or the other' is losing a 1st round pick? because thats the cost to move him based on other cap dump deals. I think a buyout is better, even if it only saves 500k the first year, and then 2.5 after that. Lots of talk around another compliance buyout which of course is ideal. 

That might be the one option to not explore. That would potentially rob us of two consecutive 1st round picks...which I would consider to be unacceptable. I was mainly thinking of a buyout, or waiving him after his (I think) July 15 roster bonus is applied. To a team needing to get to the cap floor, WITHOUT having to pay the full salary, I would believe it could be an enticing option. But if the NHL offers a freebie buyout this summer, I would hope Benning can imitate "The Flash" in getting Eriksson paperwork outta here expedited!