The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Compliance Buyouts, You Get Two

Rate this topic

Tre Mac

38 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Geez no wonder Ivan Drago killed you so easily, you're too thin skinned - Luckily these professional athletes are not.  

This made me laugh! I really am, you aren't wrong... this side of me only comes out around my friends or CDC... the people I really care about! :P

If i'm socializing with outsiders; whether its work people or new friends im not as comfortable around, I try to be less "thin skinned". But that's probably because we aren't talking about the Canucks and I don't get triggered.

I try not to let things bother me as much as possible... because I've learned over the years, that holding on to thoughts like that will only give you depression... but I still sometimes get triggered...

Also I genuinely really like Myzee and it bothers me how often he's ridiculed when he actually has a very reasonable contract and is only 30 years old.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, apollo said:

He's always represented team Canada on the world stage. 

He's always lived in Kelowna, and played Jr for the rockets. The guy is as Canadian as it gets. 

He took a solid discount to come play for us and all I hear is people bashing him. Some armchair GMs that probably have 0 clue how to play hockey, 0 clue what Tyler is all about and likely either forming drunk or high thoughts. 

It's a shame Tyler has to deal with this. Whatever, hopefully he doesn't care about the opinion of some drunk / high fans that have unreasonable thoughts. 

I mean, a handful of fans does not represent us as a whole. He had a decent year. But you have to admit 6mil is a bit much for Myers. The idea of 6mil for him was the cap would go up, with the shutdown who knows what happens with the cap. Defensively he’s meh and his scoring totals are okay. Not saying I think he’s a buyout candidate. We are hurting for RD and he’s legit top 4 in my books. But I can see why some might view him as a buyout candidate.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

Why?  Five more years left, that contract will be bought out eventually.  I already made my points with regards to Myers and haven't heard a decent counter argument - 'he's played well or he's alright' doesn't cut it.  Not to mention how are you going to re-sign Hughes and Petey while not letting talent walk?  The other candidates have expiring contracts within 2 years so I am not as concerned about those cap hits, to be able to knock off as much as $10 mil of the books by replacing Myers with Tryamkin would put this team in the best position moving forward.  Myers is a 3rd pairing defenceman on a playoff team, he's not worth $6million imo.  

Okay you buy out Myers who do you replace him with?

tree? Well his a leftie and yes tree can play the right side but would be better suited for Hughes. 

So edler and Myers can take on the more D side. 

Also tree and woo are the only real threats to Myers cause Myers brings toughness / a lil bit of meanness. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, qwijibo said:

I seriously doubt there will be any compliance buyouts, let alone 2. 

1 hour ago, qwijibo said:

It’s not the GM’s that negotiate the CBA, it’s the board of governors. Ie. the owners.  I can’t see them compounding the losses they’re taking right now by giving their GM’s a blank cheque to pay players to not play for them.  The initial compliance buy outs were to get teams down under a new cap system.  They had no choice but to allow it. This is a different situation.  The season is being shortened by what? 12 games.  (Plus playoff revenue for the teams that were in).  They were expecting a fairly big jump in the cap next season.  The cancellation of the season will likely erase that, but the cap won’t drop significantly, if at all.  

I could be wrong, I certainly don’t have any inside information, but I don’t see owners willingly lining up to write huge cheque’s for buyouts when the GM’s will just go out and spend right back up to the cap. 

https://bestsport.news/the-nhl-and-the-players-may-lose-1-1-billion-agent-kucherov-about-the-situation-in-america/

https://nypost.com/2020/03/20/nhl-should-call-the-season-in-painful-coronavirus-conflict/

If the league didn’t play another game this season, the players would only collect about 65 percent of the face value of their deals. Quick math just said your $5 million deal just went to about $1-1.5 million in take-home money. That hurts, unless you had privileged information and sold some stock before the market crashed — sorry, sorry, it’s hard to stay solely on hockey during these troubled times.

It’s now become even more clear just how important the NHL playoffs are to the league’s bottom line: The projection was for about $1 billion in revenue to be made before the Stanley Cup was raised in June. That hockey-related revenue (HRR) is the overall number split 50-50 between the teams and the players, a tensely negotiated agreement that necessitates escrow in the first place. In theory, the money in escrow is given back to the players once all the math is done to make sure the split is even, but it’s estimated that they’ve lost between eight and 15 percent every year since 2012. No wonder why they hate it, and why it is the most important issue rumbling among their ranks — along with Olympic participation — that could lead to more labor unrest following the current collective bargaining agreement expiring following the 2021-22 season.

That's a significant loss though, but yeah none of us fans know how this will play out.  Most teams are at the cap and none were warned that this would happen in advance so that's why I thought they might have CB's, at the very least it makes for an interesting discussion.  

1 hour ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Okay you buy out Myers who do you replace him with?

tree? Well his a leftie and yes tree can play the right side but would be better suited for Hughes. 

So edler and Myers can take on the more D side. 

Also tree and woo are the only real threats to Myers cause Myers brings toughness / a lil bit of meanness. 

Rather have Tryamkin and Tanev over Tryamkin and Myers.  Also I wouldn't be surprised if Myers gets bought out eventually(2-4years down the road) so why not do it now and free up the most cap?  With all the uncertainty I know one thing is certain - they're going to have to open the bank vault up for Hughes and Petey.

1 hour ago, apollo said:

This made me laugh! I really am, you aren't wrong... this side of me only comes out around my friends or CDC... the people I really care about! :P

If i'm socializing with outsiders; whether its work people or new friends im not as comfortable around, I try to be less "thin skinned". But that's probably because we aren't talking about the Canucks and I don't get triggered.

I try not to let things bother me as much as possible... because I've learned over the years, that holding on to thoughts like that will only give you depression... but I still sometimes get triggered...

Also I genuinely really like Myzee and it bothers me how often he's ridiculed when he actually has a very reasonable contract and is only 30 years old.

All good.

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Rather have Tryamkin and Tanev over Tryamkin and Myers.  Also I wouldn't be surprised if Myers gets bought out eventually(2-4years down the road) so why not do it now and free up the most cap?  With all the uncertainty I know one thing is certain - they're going to have to open the bank vault up for Hughes and Petey.

Because you need capable, NHL level players, to play in the mean time.

Whether you think he's 'mediocre' or 'overpaid' or not, he's a legit, top 4, right side NHL D.

I'd rather have Tanev, Myers AND Tryamkin personally.

• Cheers 4

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

GM's were already talking about having regular compliance buyouts negotiated in to the CBA before global economy collapsing and the league shutting down due to covid.

If the cap stays flat out goes down, it's a very strong possibility.

I really could see something like this happen. Too many teams will need some kind of relief particularly if the cap goes down.

• Cheers 2

9 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

Why?  Five more years left, that contract will be bought out eventually.  I already made my points with regards to Myers and haven't heard a decent counter argument - 'he's played well or he's alright' doesn't cut it.  Not to mention how are you going to re-sign Hughes and Petey while not letting talent walk?  The other candidates have expiring contracts within 2 years so I am not as concerned about those cap hits, to be able to knock off as much as $10 mil of the books by replacing Myers with Tryamkin would put this team in the best position moving forward.  Myers is a 3rd pairing defenceman on a playoff team, he's not worth $6million imo.  

Compliance buyouts are used to help get rid of players that hold no or negative value, not players who have value that can be traded for other assets.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

Because you need capable, NHL level players, to play in the mean time.

Whether you think he's 'mediocre' or 'overpaid' or not, he's a legit, top 4, right side NHL D.

I'd rather have Tanev, Myers AND Tryamkin personally.

Unless Bettman goes into league settings and disables the salary cap I just don't see a scenario were the Canucks retain all three UFA'S, add Tryamkin, plus have cap to re-sign Hughes and Petey for the following season.  Even with the cap rising Benning would've had to do some fiscal gymnastics to make it all work.  I don't think people are really looking at the contracts the next two years, they're just focus on next year -  If that was the case I'd keep Myers as well. 

Anyways thanks for the discussion guys, nice to talk about sports again.

26 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Unless Bettman goes into league settings and disables the salary cap I just don't see a scenario were the Canucks retain all three UFA'S, add Tryamkin, plus have cap to re-sign Hughes and Petey for the following season.  Even with the cap rising Benning would've had to do some fiscal gymnastics to make it all work.  I don't think people are really looking at the contracts the next two years, they're just focus on next year -  If that was the case I'd keep Myers as well. 

Anyways thanks for the discussion guys, nice to talk about sports again.

Nope, definitely looking past this year, we'll be fine. Next year is our only real pinch. Otherwise we have lots of cap expiring, the cap will go up, we lose someone in the ED etc.

I don't think YOU'VE seriously looked in to it if you think we have any major, insurmountable issues.

On 3/26/2020 at 5:46 PM, Kevin Biestra said:

Petterson and Hughes are pretty expensive.  I say cut bait and start fresh.

They’re worth a conditional 5th combined anyways.

I mean... they’ve been scratched for how many games now? lol

Edited by Me_

4 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

So tram and edler and Hughes and tanev are to soft. 

Also myers balances edler pretty good and formed a solid second pairing, tram doesn't add Myers skill and Myers can play top four minutes and not look out of place and we have no idea what tram will be like and like I mentioned I think Hughes and tram makes the most sense and edler and Myers can play the hard minutes also just not every night. That gives balance and also rathbone plays a similar game as edler so Myers could be the perfect guy to help get the best out of our prospects. 

I agree we will have to pay petey and Hughes big but I don't mcdavid money , they want to win more then that. 

On 3/27/2020 at 2:51 AM, Canuck Surfer said:

Luo  & Louie

$9 m cap right  there!

I'll second that....

If Luongos recapture can be bought out, that should follow Eriksson. The rest can either play, or their contracts expire earlier than Luongos contract. If Luo can't be bought out, it depends on whether Ferland can play again or not...

Edited by spook007

i honestly don't see the league giving compliance buyout to any teams unless the cap goes down lol. if it stays the same then why would they offer you compliance buyout? u fitted all the players under the cap the previous season so why would they let teams off the hooks? compliance buy out was part of the CBA it was negotiated.. it wasn't like the league all of a sudden decided oh we will give you a compliance buyout.. it was a chance for teams to fix their issue back when they were abusing it. majority of the league don't have much issue with their current contracts so obviously they will vote no to compliance buy out.. as it would benefits a few teams that they are competing against. bobrovsky weber etc would all be candidates. i don't see majority of the league would want to help those teams out.. nor would the NHLPA agree for teams to buy out their players 

On 3/26/2020 at 9:35 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

Eriksson and Roussel for me.  Eriksson is obvious and if Ferland can come back healthy next year then he will take Roussel's spot in the lineup.  Sutter is a good insurance policy if Beagle goes down and has less term than Roussel.  Baer is in the minors so his cap hit isn't huge and it's only for one more year.  Beagle is our only quality 4th line centre so not sure why people want to get rid of him. 

Not sure why people would want to get rid of Myers, he's been solid in a lot of games although inconsistent this season.  I'd partner him with Tryamkin next year and let the big Russian do the dirty work on that pairing. Even with 2 compliance buyouts I still don't think we re-sign Tanev.  I'd rather focus on Markstrom and Toffoli and perhaps get another right shot defenceman through a trade or free agency.

People want Myers gone because he's not smaller and super fast but that's fine for the regular season but in the playoffs that's going to get run over and go nowhere near Stanley.. simple short sightednews but thankfully JB made it known it caught his attention to the need for size and toughness which has been the usual in Vancouver for years with an exception or 2 so they forget about that.. that's why JB went after Guddy, had he worked out into a top 4 pairing guy to put with Hughes would have rocked the show but your right we still need that and hope we get one.. however I'm glad we have size in Myers and hopefully soon Tryamkin.. 

The other comment in the same idea is our new additions of JT and TT, both have skill but also some grit.. glad it's not just on the back end, not saying their fighters or anything but their not pussies either but at least not the butter soft team we had that was fun to watch until we got pummeled and ousted every year come playoff time which was always heart breaking for buck fans... 

On 3/26/2020 at 3:35 PM, apollo said:

Believe it or not Myers left money on the table and took a discount to play in his home town.

Makes me sick when people rag on him.

Tyler Myers is going to be a long time succesful Canuck.

That all being said, I don't see how we get compliance buyouts again... those came in because the system was broken and there was many contracts that had abused teams before they changed the rules so to speak.

No rules were changed here, our season had to be paused due to a once in a life time pandemic.

Playoffs in August... buckle up Canucks fans!

THANK YOU! Its almost like people dont watch hockey and come on here and take a dump on players they know nothing about. Boggles the mind. Myers is awesome, flawed but awesome.

Edited by Shirotashi