The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Pius Suter waiting to sign with NHL team

https://swisshockeynews.ch/index.php/shn/13-international/north-america/nhl/19133-pius-suter-will-wait-until-after-july-1-to-sign-with-an-nhl-team

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/135775/pius-suter

Monstrous stats for the Swiss league. 23 y/o forward, undrafted. I wonder if the Canucks are among the teams interested. He played 2 years in the OHL, so he should know the North American game. 

Edited by Ossi Vaananen

I wonder if he’s looking to step directly into an NHL lineup or if he’s willing to go to the AHL?

He’d have to sign an ELC, so his AHL salary ($70K) would be a significant step down from the type of money top players can pull down in the NLA (~$500K).

That said, he is a decent enough player that he might have a chance to crack some teams out of camp, at least in a 4th line/depth role. He’s small and isn’t physical, but he battles hard and doesn’t lack in energy or compete.

Plays a solid all-around game and probably could step into a bottom-six role or 13th forward spot on a team with openings in their lineup.

Not sure that’s Vancouver, however.

And not saying he can’t be more than a 4th line/depth guy. He has the talent to potentially drive a third line at the NHL level.

He’s put up some really solid numbers, has a very complete game, and has already been coached by the likes of Scott Walker, Marc Crawford, and Rikard Grönborg. Has also attended a few NHL camps as an invite in previous years. And played OHL and was considered a decent prospect (ranked around the 3rd round at one point). He’s currently the NLA reigning scoring champ, with the 2019-20 lead in points and goals, and that’s playing in league with no shortage of former NHLers.

I think what places him in good stead to earn a shot from an NHL team is the fact that, while he’s certainly a bit undersized, he’s also not an absolute munchkin and he doesn’t play a the kind of one dimensional game you often see from some of these smaller guys who regularly figure among the European leagues’ scoring leaders. He’s very complete and can play up and down a lineup and in a variety of roles.

His production suggests he could be a guy who’d score maybe a dozen goals a season in the NHL as a skilled bottom-six C/W who plays solid D and brings good energy, compete, and work ethic every night.

Certainly a player worth a look and I expect he has quite a few NHL teams eyeballing him.

From the sounds of things, he’s got a few options but is waiting to see what kind of roster situation and direction teams are headed into for next season. I’d expect he’ll be looking for a team that promises him the best opportunity to crack the lineup and start his North American professional career at the NHL level (and bypassing the AHL). 

Again, I’m not sure that’s Vancouver.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Bypass the AHL? Must have character issues....or wait is that only true for Russians?

With that said, I don't know much about him, but something tells me he's like a Baertschi/Spooner type player. One of those guys that need to produce or they don't provide much else. Teams are willing to risk that he's got more because he would be on a cheap contract, so minimal risk with potential of decent reward.

• Upvote 1

He sounds like an interesting player. But like Sid said, if he's looking for NHL opportunity I'm not sure he's gonna get that in Vancouver. If we're looking for 3rd/4th line guy I see Benning taking a hard look at what he's already got in the system. And well, if he's gonna play at a lower level he may as well stay in Switzerland and make money while living in a beautiful country instead of busing through the US. 

If we didn't have Adam Gaudette manning the third line, he'd be a good pick up. Doubt he becomes a Canuck but if we lose Leivo/others to free agency/compliance buyouts, could be an option as a third line winger that could be a C when injuries happen. Still, Vancouver seems like a long shot. 

For some reason, I think he'll end up with Columbus. They have a few Swiss players on there team and he could probably get a spot on the team immediately. He seems like a player Columbus would target, dunno why. The Islanders also tend to sign NLA guys so he could end up there too. 

The Swiss players I'd hope the Canucks target are Yannick Rathgeb (24 year old right shot defenseman who briefly was in the NY Islanders system) and Gauthier Descloux (23 year old goalie who had the best goaltending numbers in the NLA this season. Would be a good replacement for Louis Dominigue when we don't re-sign him this summer lol).

4 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Bypass the AHL? Must have character issues....or wait is that only true for Russians?

With that said, I don't know much about him, but something tells me he's like a Baertschi/Spooner type player. One of those guys that need to produce or they don't provide much else. Teams are willing to risk that he's got more because he would be on a cheap contract, so minimal risk with potential of decent reward.

Time to lose the “hazing” and pre-conceived notion that the AHL  IS the only path to the NHL.

Any body watching the international game at any level can see in competition that the game is strong in every country,  and although those leagues are smaller in comparison, the talent  is found.

Every professional player that makes the NHL has had a different path, and journey..  some never make for many different reasons, 

somehow,  life gets in the way.   The same way it does with everyone else..  others still fight through militant countries having no trust in laws or governments to protect themselves and their families.  

The past is not far from the present.

Ever wonder why we did not see Tretchiak play in the NHL?

Peter Statsny’s journey to North America is an incredible one..  I used to work with Peters brother, who was grateful for Peter to break through the barriers to arrive in Canada.  

When our conversations turned to hockey , he spoke of the players he had seen at home who were better than Peter.

The ones who never made the journey here because they could not.

Peter arrived in Quebec as a 22 yr old and immediately put up 8 consecutive seasons of around 120 pts per year?

Im happy to hear that the KHL and NHL will be seriously discussing a better relationship this off season..  agreements will give a more fluid arrangement for players to transpire as the best.. and protect the teams to rightful contracts, with clauses to share rights.

Imagine being granted access to Podolzkin for a few games a season, or Tryamkin over the last 3.

The AHL is fine,

but it can not handle the surge of all players who might be NHL worthy to play in its league, or to get quality ice time to develop and perform.

The AHL is not a “hazing” right to the NHL,.   nor the Center of the Universe for Development.. it’s an option that works for some, not for others.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

he could also be a pope if hockey doesn't work out. Pope Pius Suter the 2nd. 

This totally makes me picture that opening sequence from The New Pope. But instead of Jude Law strutting past a bunch of volleyball playing girls, it’s Pius Suter walking past all the NHL teams interested in his services.

• Haha 1

There are a few bottom 6s we have he could, keyword being could, be an upgrade on. Listed as center/winger too according to Elite Prospects. Gives more options depending on his faceoff prowess. But he may not be interested in us because of the sheer amount of bottom 6 depth we have. 

Rooster - Hockey Gaud - Shotgun Jake (3rd Line)

Motter - Beags - Sutter (4th Line)

Eriksson, MacEwen, Leivo, Ferland, Baertschi, Lind as other depth options for bottom 6. Even if we let Leivo walk that's a lot of people he'd have to contend with. Not even including Hoglander as a potential add this offseason.

40 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

There are a few bottom 6s we have he could, keyword being could, be an upgrade on. Listed as center/winger too according to Elite Prospects. Gives more options depending on his faceoff prowess. But he may not be interested in us because of the sheer amount of bottom 6 depth we have. 

Rooster - Hockey Gaud - Shotgun Jake (3rd Line)

Motter - Beags - Sutter (4th Line)

Eriksson, MacEwen, Leivo, Ferland, Baertschi, Lind as other depth options for bottom 6. Even if we let Leivo walk that's a lot of people he'd have to contend with. Not even including Hoglander as a potential add this offseason.

If he's an offensive player he'd probably would be in the top 6. Pearson can drop which would give us some pretty good depth at LW if Suter could make the jump well.

Pearson would do well while Jake/Gaud develop their checking sides.

2 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

If he's an offensive player he'd probably would be in the top 6. Pearson can drop which would give us some pretty good depth at LW if Suter could make the jump well.

Pearson would do well while Jake/Gaud develop their checking sides.

Yeah, I didn't really notice he was pretty undersized. Seems like he is another Baer, slightly less effective defensively but no concussion history (that I know of) like Baer. I like Pearson and Bo together.  Tough for me to sign off on that but it does improve our 3rd line drastically having Pearson there.

It'd be really nice to have another JT Miller for the 3rd line though, by that I mean a centerman that can play left wing. Gaudette is atrocious at faceoffs and in my opinion that is the biggest weakness on the line. Pearson doesn't really help with that. Maybe the hope is Gaudette naturally develops in the faceoff dot. 

9 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Yeah, I didn't really notice he was pretty undersized. Seems like he is another Baer, slightly less effective defensively but no concussion history (that I know of) like Baer. I like Pearson and Bo together.  Tough for me to sign off on that but it does improve our 3rd line drastically having Pearson there.

It'd be really nice to have another JT Miller for the 3rd line though, by that I mean a centerman that can play left wing. Gaudette is atrocious at faceoffs and in my opinion that is the biggest weakness on the line. Pearson doesn't really help with that. Maybe the hope is Gaudette naturally develops in the faceoff dot. 

He isn't good at D yet too either. That's why someone like Pearson would do well.

We'd need another top 6 forward to drop him down thoug. Suter's a question mark.

Nevertheless I do think we need an upgrade on our 3rd line LW. Hope Ferland comes back healthy.

• Upvote 1

Top NLA player the year before was Kubalik, and he's worked out quite well for Chicago.

But yeah, lots of competition in Van, not only on the roster but also in the system, plus now Michaelis. Probably will have a better opportunity elsewhere.