The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Virtanen+ for DeAngelo(NYR)

If we try and hopefully keep Toffoli, what about this as a potential trade idea...

Jake Virtanen- pending rfa

Stecher- pending rfa

Juolevi

for

Tony DeAngelo- pending rfa

2021 Buffalo 3rd round pick- or do we take a chance on Lias Andersson-the whiney Swede...

Trading Jake is tough but our top 6 would set with Brock and Toff. I know DeAngelo is having a career year, so some may say this offer may not be enough? NYR are loaded on the RHD with Trouba, Fox then add Stecher to the bottom pair? Rolling the dice on OJ as well

Edited by Canuckster86

Interesting.  Personally he's an intriguing asset but factoring in the team's make-up at this point though I don't see us doing it.

For Vancouver, as a hockey asset DeAngelo's value is undeniable (young RHD, who scored as much as all 3 assets going back have put up combined!).  However, even Tort's fave beat writer Brooksie wrote about Tony just two days ago, saying that he'll ask for a big raise as only John Carlson, Roman Josi and Victor Hedman  have scored more than him this year.  He's also known to not battle hard in his own end, and his Twitter "sarcasm" (he posted a video of himself saying "what is this b.s." in response to the quarantine) has gotten him in trouble.  Of course I'd be down to acquire him but we'd also need to shore up on the defensive end and we'd need to move Myers to 1) give him enough ice time and 2) so as to not have two defensive liabilities on the right side.  Money's also a big factor, as the cap may come down and of course Pete/ Toffy/ Markstrom/ Hughes/ Gaudette all need new deals.  TD might take up half of that himself.

The Rangers probably would as Brooksie also noted how they're looking for top-9 winger help, but I wonder are the really?  Panarin/ Buchnevich/ Kreider and a developing Kakko (who knows how hard he'll train now) would probably be ready to be a dynamic top 6, and Jesper Fast is pretty good too.  He'd be an expensive though valuable wing to add.  Maybe Stecher's enough to sweeten the pot to get it done?  (I think both Lias and Juolevi are a wash in value).

If he had more term maybe I'd like to add Tony and it's fun as a thought experiment but the actual numbers likely don't work out.      

Edited by Phil_314

No way, even if the Rangers were willing the numbers wouldn't work. Dude put up 53 points and is a pending RFA at 24, dude's gonna get paid regardless of whether some folks question his defensive play or not. 

Cap is likely to flatten or even decrease, we've already been speculating about what we'd do with 1-2 compliance buyouts and we've got Toffoli, Tanev, and Marky as pending ufa's and a few RFA's thrown in for good measure. We wouldn't have space to bring in yet another big contract to go into next season with.

4 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

If we try and hopefully keep Toffoli, what about this as a potential trade idea...

Jake Virtanen- pending rfa

Stecher- pending rfa

Juolevi

for

Tony DeAngelo- pending rfa

2021 Buffalo 3rd round pick- or do we take a chance on Lias Andersson-the whiney Swede...

Trading Jake is tough but our top 6 would set with Brock and Toff. I know DeAngelo is having a career year, so some may say this offer may not be enough? NYR are loaded on the RHD with Trouba, Fox then add Stecher to the bottom pair? Rolling the dice on OJ as well

i wouldnt trade stecher alone for deangelo let alone  a 20-25 goal scoring in jake that drives play or a potential top 4 dman in oli  hell to the no 

Edited by canuktravella
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ever playoff teams need Big Jakes in there line up..His natural skill 220lbs excellent speed driving to the next causes havoc and many scoring chance..

I really fell Jake will turn into the big power forward like 22-25 G - 44-52 points making room for skilled players he plays with when he plays his solid 200 foot game...Very exciting and only 23 years old...Top 7 forward, play up and down line up depending on team there playing..

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Don't think we need another smallish D.  We got Quinn and Rathbone is gonna be a beauty.  Rafferty is also in play on the right side.  I'd rather we spend those assets on a big strong top 4 Dman who can play with Quinn.  I'd do that package for Brandon Carlo. 

I wouldn't. I haven't given up on Juolevi. I think it would be asinine to trade him before he fully recovers and see what we have. You save those assets by simply adding Tryamkin for size and a stay at home Dman. He can play the right side if need be. And as wildcam mentioned, every team needs guys like Jake in the playoffs. 

I think Jake is probably the odd man out in a numbers game and has a good chance of getting traded (especially if we manage to res-sign Toffoli).  There just aren't that many spaces on that side, and it gets worse next year when Podkolzin will almost certainly be on the team.  Virtanen gets a solid asset back and will become less of a deal on his new contract.

2020-21:  Toffoli, Boeser, Leivo, MacEwan on RW
2021-22: Toffoli, Boeser, Podkolzin, MacEwan.. Leivo gets pushed to depth guy or can also easily play LW.

I don't think that is the right target though... the long rumoured Ristolainen move would be a lot more suitable for our needs.  You get your top pairing all situations RD to go with Edler (though you don't want to play Risto the 25 minutes a game he was playing some years in Buffalo as he isn't that player)... it makes all the pairings work out properly and replaces Tanev for similar money and a lot younger.  There are probably other targets out there, but we basically need an Edler for the right side... or a Tanev who is several years younger.  We need decent size, good 5 on 5 defensive ability... add in a pinch of physicality and that would be ideal.  Dumba is always talked about, we probably missed the boat on guys like Philipe Myers from Philly and Marcus Petterson... they should have been targets instead of signing our Myers.  Severson from Jersey would be dandy, but expensive considering his age and contract.

The list isn't crazy long for someone to shore up our right side.  Stecher and Tanev aren't too far down the list of guys that could be available to be gotten... and we could just re-sign them.  Maybe you try to sign one of them to a shorter term deal and punt the ball down a year or two and see if one of our internal guys like Tryamkin works out.  Hopefully Benning has some magic up his sleeve to find a player because we don't currently have a good succession plan to make up pairing in a way Green likes to deploy them

Edited by Provost

The problem with this is that TD doesn't kill penalties. If he was on the team that would be 2/6 defensemen (along with QH) that don't PK. WHat happens when one of your regular PKers takes a penalty (will happen often/most games) or gets injured? Not sure if they want either of these guys killing penalties regularly.

He's a bit the same as Hughes really, doesn't kill penalties but racks up points on the PP and is a righty. I think we need a more all-round defenceman in our future top-4, Severson would be nice but I'm a bit cautious about his defensive play. We still might have the guy we want in Rafferty or Juolevi anyway. I would do Virt + Stech + Brisebois for DeAngelo if they'd be interested.

Going forward, Hughes-Myers and Tryamkin-DeAngelo would be fun to watch.