The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Top 50 Canucks of All-Time - #11

Rate this topic

-AJ-

Top 50 Canucks of All-Time - #11  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the #11 Canuck of All-Time?

• T. Bertuzzi
    • M. Ohlund
    • R. Kesler
    • A. Burrows
    • T. Tanti
    • B. Morrison
    • J. Lumme
    • D. Lever
    • K. Bieksa
    • R. Brodeur

This poll is closed to new votes

2 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

I thought I'd put Hughes out there because I think there is a tendency for people look back more and forget at the supreme talent that is in front of their nose.  My last nomination was Boudrias because a lot of fans aren't old enough to remember the older stars either.  That's kind of my perspective on this anyways.  My nomination is kind of a reminder to people.  

Great idea for a series of threads btw AJ

Cheers. I do think that a lot of people forget the newer players, but it often happens that once they remember, they get a lot of favouritism. I remember doing this list way back in 2011 and guys like Kesler and Burrows were getting in as soon as they were nominated, probably because a lot of newer fans saw the name and went "Oh I know that guy!".

I'm actually pleased we have so many apologists for the older players because the last time this list was done, I felt like the 80s and 70s guys got left behind a bit too much.

I do think there is a place for some of even our current stars, but Hughes has just one season, so I don't even have him in my Top 50 as of now. I do have our other young guns at some place in the Top 50, but not for a while yet, as their careers have just started.

• Cheers 1

41 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

I thought I'd put Hughes out there because I think there is a tendency for people look back more and forget at the supreme talent that is in front of their nose.  My last nomination was Boudrias because a lot of fans aren't old enough to remember the older stars either.  That's kind of my perspective on this anyways.  My nomination is kind of a reminder to people.  

Great idea for a series of threads btw AJ

If you are ready to put Hughes in the mix already, I would at least suggest that you also then consider someone like Dale Tallon, who was our first star rookie and our first star defenseman.  In the Canucks' first season, 1970-71, he had 56 points as a rookie blueliner.  And finished in the top five in Calder voting...he got the shaft not being a finalist, as two of the forwards ahead of him were only in the 60s in poiints.  He got killed by the Eastern bias in voting, and by the Canucks being a brand new team.

I bring him up, first to point out his accomplishment.  But I suppose also to suggest being a bit wary of jumping the gun.  Nobody but me really cares these days about Dale Tallon's accomplishments in a Canuck uniform as far as I can tell.  I expect bigger things for Quinn Hughes, but he still has to actually do them.

Just like Barry Pederson is unfairly maligned for not being Cam Neely, Dale Tallon is unjustly maligned for not being Gilbert Perreault.

So...Dale Tallon for Top 50!

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

If you are ready to put Hughes in the mix already, I would at least suggest that you also then consider someone like Dale Tallon, who was our first star rookie and our first star defenseman.  In the Canucks' first season, 1970-71, he had 56 points as a rookie blueliner.  And finished in the top five in Calder voting...he got the shaft not being a finalist, as two of the forwards ahead of him were only in the 60s in poiints.  He got killed by the Eastern bias in voting, and by the Canucks being a brand new team.

I bring him up, first to point out his accomplishment.  But I suppose also to suggest being a bit wary of jumping the gun.  Nobody but me really cares these days about Dale Tallon's accomplishments in a Canuck uniform as far as I can tell.  I expect bigger things for Quinn Hughes, but he still has to actually do them.

So...Dale Tallon for Top 50!

Funny that you mention Tallon. I have Tallon at 63 on my list and Hughes at 64 right behind him. If Hughes has another year like the one he just had, I'd suspect he'll jump up to around 50 or so. I prepared a top 70 list for this so I know where I have every player in advance.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Funny that you mention Tallon. I have Tallon at 63 on my list and Hughes at 64 right behind him. If Hughes has another year like the one he just had, I'd suspect he'll jump up to around 50 or so. I prepared a top 70 list for this so I know where I have every player in advance.

Yeah, I made a few minor revisions since my original publication of The Biestra News official rankings.  My man @IBatch convinced me that I was doing Jovocop a little dirty.

I have a couple guys sitting right outside the top 50 that I was certain would be in there and it makes me feel like a scurvy dog.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Yeah, I made a few minor revisions since my original publication of The Biestra News official rankings.  My man @IBatch convinced me that I was doing Jovocop a little dirty.

I have a couple guys sitting right outside the top 50 that I was certain would be in there and it makes me feel like a scurvy dog.

I found that I had a lot of guys sitting around 40 that felt so wrong, but the top 30 just seems so hard to break into.

11 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I'm voting for Big Bert again and nominating Andre Boudrias, the first consistent star of the Canucks.

Boudrais is coming soon on my nomination list too - got to be one of Snepsts, Lidster, or Boudrais at this point .... then a little later  Jovo, Kearns,  Sundtstrom, Mogilny....

• Like 1

9 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Cheers. I do think that a lot of people forget the newer players, but it often happens that once they remember, they get a lot of favouritism. I remember doing this list way back in 2011 and guys like Kesler and Burrows were getting in as soon as they were nominated, probably because a lot of newer fans saw the name and went "Oh I know that guy!".

I'm actually pleased we have so many apologists for the older players because the last time this list was done, I felt like the 80s and 70s guys got left behind a bit too much.

I do think there is a place for some of even our current stars, but Hughes has just one season, so I don't even have him in my Top 50 as of now. I do have our other young guns at some place in the Top 50, but not for a while yet, as their careers have just started.

Im curious as to what this list might look like in five years or so.  Something tells me we will have some guys we have now that have played a few years (or one in Hughes), moving up the list quite a bit.  Horvat is one for sure -EP, Hughes and Miller too.  Once current players get into the 300-400 game range there will be some former guys moving down ... the guys in the 20-40 range should have guys like Horvat and Miller represented - EP and Hughes who knows quite yet - could be quite high by then, especially if they remain relatively healthy BB thats you im talking about.  

10 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

This is proving to be more enjoyable then most topics on the CDC right now - stupid virus.  I find it very interesting what other fans on here's viewpoints are about the greatest ever - bringing up Talon earlier was really valid as a Hughes comparison - also have to consider Reinhardt too when it comes to a couple guys that were here only a short time.  Five years from now some of the " Horvat" members likely will be in the 300-700 range which will change the top fifty considerably.  Horvat, EP, Hughes, BB and Tanev should be in there somewhere - and possibly someone who' not even on the team yet ( a lot of guys in the 250-350 game range that currently take spots in the top fifty like Courtnal, Adams, Ronning etc will move around a little to make room).   

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2