The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Judd Brackett

Rate this topic

Fred65

Although Vcr has offered Brackett a new contract I'm wondering if the delay centres around Brackett waiting to see if new GM appointments around the league can provide a better opportunity for career advancement. In particular if Gillis takes on the GM's job in NJ. Gillis did give him his first break and onvbously know Brackett fairly well. It would be a black eye for Vcr if Brackett ends up in NJ with Mike Gillis

• Vintage 1

or it could be good for vancouver's reputation

that it capably develops management people

to such an extent that they cannot possibly retain them all

and so allow such talented people

to explore options elsewhere to advance their careers

makes vancouver much more attractive to young highly skilled management types

who could view vancouver as an attractive organization

in which to develop their skills

knowing that they will not be held back if they develop solidly

it becomes a win win situation for the organization and younger talent

the organization can always target the true superstar then and do what it takes to retain that person

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think Brackett is as good as gone imo and that'll be a huge blow to this team.  The fact they haven't agreed on a contract yet is not a good sign.  I believe he is worthy of a promotion but doesn't look like Benning will give him one.  

I was wondering when we'd see another of these threads

Wouldn't be a black eye for Vancouver, the reality is that he's a professional and professionals in sports are often bouncing around organizations. That's just part of the business. Nobody retains everyone. Hell, Benning came here from Boston didn't he? 

Hard to say that's going on, for the most part hockey's come to a standstill entirely. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

Losing top job performers to promotions from other teams isn't new. As @Coconuts mentioned, it's exactly what happened with Benning. I'd love to keep Brackett, but it would be kind of horrible for the Canucks to prevent him from the opportunity to try his hand at being a full GM if that's what he wanted.

Maybe a black eye is the wrong turn of phrase. When JB promoted Chris Gear and no promotion for Brackett It struck me that he was toast. We don't know how much the drafting has been influenced by Brackett versus Benning but I think his input is surely important. Maybe it will be a big loss is better than a black eye. Every time I heard Brackett speak he just made sense. Amateur scouting has improved so much since Brackett was given the role of head of amateur scouting. Scouts like Brackett are not exactly in abundance. Earlier Gillis has said his vision of being GM was leaning towards departmentalizing the GM role and that would be the career opportunity Brackett is looking for

• Cheers 1

Got to think good teams not only do well at developing players, they foster a learning environment for staff and management. You simply can't keep all of your people, all of the time. If Brackett moves on it may be unfortunate however not an uncommon in the business of pro-sports.

If he leaves you can assume it wasn't over money as Aquaman has said over and over,  if he's to be believed,  that JB has full authority to spend at his discretion to make the franchise a winner.  

You can also assume that we'll be fine as a franchise.   People forget or refuse to acknowledge that Judd wasn't in Boston - that was JB building that monster over there and likey doing most of it himself behind the scenes as its subsequently been proven it wasn't Chia-pet.   

• Cheers 3

2 hours ago, Fanuck said:

If he leaves you can assume it wasn't over money as Aquaman has said over and over,  if he's to be believed,  that JB has full authority to spend at his discretion to make the franchise a winner.  

You can also assume that we'll be fine as a franchise.   People forget or refuse to acknowledge that Judd wasn't in Boston - that was JB building that monster over there and likey doing most of it himself behind the scenes as its subsequently been proven it wasn't Chia-pet.   

You realize the "management team" that Benning worked with in Boston during his era were all fired. Bostosn recent surge is a result of a new GM and new coach ….. all post Benning/ Chiarelli era

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

You realize the "management team" that Benning worked with in Boston during his era were all fired. Bostosn recent surge is a result of a new GM and new coach ….. all post Benning/ Chiarelli era

I'm talking about the team that was there when JB was directly responsible as assistant GM.  They had a cup win and a finals loss within 3 years....and we all know it wasn't Chia-Pet masterminding that squad. 

Doesn't matter who was fired, winning coaches/GM's get fired all the time - it's business after all, right? 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Fanuck said:

I'm talking about the team that was there when JB was directly responsible as assistant GM.  They had a cup win and a finals loss within 3 years....and we all know it wasn't Chia-Pet masterminding that squad. 

Doesn't matter who was fired, winning coaches/GM's get fired all the time - it's business after all, right? 

I just looked up the 2011 Bruins

Seguin

Zach Hamil

Jordan Caron

Jamie Arneil

are the players drafted during the Benning era

Maybe Jim had input on some trades, but that team was not built by Jim's drafting

It looks like Jeff Gorton, current Ranger GM had a lot to do with the 2011 Briuns. Gorton was intrim GM from March 25- July 15, 2006. He left a pretty big foot print in a very short time. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Gorton

Edited by lmm
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Brackett is overrated.

There, I said it.

I think I'd sign him as assistant GM with the view to move him into the GM job in the not to distant future

there I said that

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1