The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Judd Brackett

Rate this topic

Fred65

On 4/29/2020 at 3:48 PM, ruilin96 said:

That would happen, but if you miss year after year after year like we did with Nonis and Gillis, then something is wrong with the process. JB's worst draft is 2016 (not talking about picking Juolevi too high) I am talking about overall, the later round picks just don't seem to have much of a chance of making the NHL even when they got drafted initially. Unlike the 2017, 2018 and 2019 draft, you can see where some of these later round picks could end up as NHLers at the time they got drafted, but you never get that sense with the later round picks in 2016. For later round picks, I am referring to picks after the 3rd round.

other than maybe Rathbone, who do you see in 17-18-19 that you think can make the NHL?

1 hour ago, lmm said:

other than maybe Rathbone, who do you see in 17-18-19 that you think can make the NHL?

The error I think I he used making is that the newest toys are always the shiniest.

We have great hopes for lots of players, and almost all of them prove why they were drafted late.  The most recent ones just haven’t had the time to prove that yet so they seem better in comparison.

• Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

6 hours ago, Provost said:

The error I think I he used making is that the newest toys are always the shiniest.

We have great hopes for lots of players, and almost all of them prove why they were drafted late.  The most recent ones just haven’t had the time to prove that yet so they seem better in comparison.

I see Manyukin is tiny, and so is Utonen, while Thiessen has a .500 save % and 25.59 GAA. 

I know its a small sample size, but "THIS WILL GO DOWN ON YOUR PERMANENT RECORD"

He is big, maybe we can turn him into a defenseman/4th line swinger . haha

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=201400

2 hours ago, lmm said:

I see Manyukin is tiny, and so is Utonen, while Thiessen has a .500 save % and 25.59 GAA. 

I know its a small sample size, but "THIS WILL GO DOWN ON YOUR PERMANENT RECORD"

He is big, maybe we can turn him into a defenseman/4th line swinger . haha

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=201400

Lol I had to go check Thiessen’s stats to find the real numbers.

For some reason they even have his GAA as 25.59 on the University of Maine’s website. I guess that’s where all the other sites took it from. :lol:

On 4/30/2020 at 6:40 AM, Lazurus said:

There was a retool plan.

A stealth tank for one year.

He traded both Schnides and Luongo, the team would have lost mucho with no goal starting goaltenders without striping it down too much.

Oh well, that was two hockey generations ago. Used to be one generation was 5 years, now it is 3.5 years.

I am very disgusted with Gillis' interviews. Yes he admitted certain deficiencies but he underplayed the fact that the Boston Bruins remained a Cup Contender following the 2011 Cup Finals as they hit a couple of home runs in the draft. Whereas the Canucks under his leadership was not able to draft and develop a franchise D and a franchise forward (with all due respect to Horvat he is not a franchise centre). Gillis also screwed up the Luongo/Schneider tandem, the best in franchise history. 

I am really glad that Mike Gillis learned this and that lesson since he was fired. However, his deficiencies meant that the best Canucks team in franchise history only had two seasons of Cup contention (one season actually going far) versus the multiple seasons that other franchises enjoyed., 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

For some reason they even have his GAA as 25.59 on the University of Maine’s website. I guess that’s where all the other sites took it from. :lol:

The reason is that those are literally his stats. He was backup to Jeremy Swayman and literally played 7 minutes all of last year. Swayman signed with the Bruins. At least for next year, if he lasts in net a single period, he'll nearly triple his total playing time of the 2019-2020 season. 

10 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

The reason is that those are literally his stats. He was backup to Jeremy Swayman and literally played 7 minutes all of last year. Swayman signed with the Bruins. At least for next year, if he lasts in net a single period, he'll nearly triple his total playing time of the 2019-2020 season. 

And he allowed 25 goals in those 7 minutes? 

Somehow I doubt that.

• Wat 1

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Therefore his GAA would be 3.00.

Ive never seen it calculated per 60.

His GA is 3

His GAA is 25.59

Roberto Luongo's GAA in 2011 was 2.11.

He did not let in 2 and a tenth goals all season.

Edited by Zfetch

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Therefore his GAA would be 3.00.

Ive never seen it calculated per 60.

It is literally always done this way. You probably just don't notice it because over the course of a full season the outliers won't have as strong an impact. 

I followed him all year as part of keeping track of prospects in the prospects thread. He had one game. 7 minutes. 3 goals. Stopped 3 of 6 shots. 

If you want an example of it you just need to find a box score of a game where a goalie was pulled. Their TOI might be 58:23 instead of 60:00 and accordingly you will see a wacky GAA. 

Edited by Down by the River

1 minute ago, Zfetch said:

His GA is 3

His GAA is 25.59

Roberto Luongo's GAA in 2011 was 2.11.

He did not let in 2 and a tenth goals all season.

I think you might be confused about what GAA.

Goals against average (GAA) is one of the main metrics along with SV% for a goalies stats. It has nothing to do with minutes. It is the average goals a goalie lets in in the course of a season.

Luongo having a 2.11 GAA means he let in on average slightly over two goals per game.

A goalies GAA could never be 25.

• Wat 3

7 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Goals against average (GAA) is one of the main metrics along with SV% for a goalies stats. It has nothing to do with minutes. It is the average goals a goalie lets in in the course of a season.

Luongo having a 2.11 GAA means he let in on average slightly over two goals per game.

It can be when you play 7/60ths a game!

17 hours ago, DeNiro said:

No, it has everything to do with minutes played:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goals_against_average

If you played 1 minute in a game and let in one goal, your GAA is not 1.00, but 60.00. 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, DeNiro said:

The calculation has literally been posted... links to the calculation have been posted.

I am pretty sure everyone knows who “might be confused about GAA” is at this point...

21 hours ago, DeNiro said:

you learn something new every day... or at least once in a while.

I once started a hockey pool, that required 3 goalies to play a combined 82 games, any team that's goalies did not play the required 82 were penalized with the worst GAA in the league. The year was 1990 

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=4433

those first yar stats for Ol' Red Light Racicot are almost identical to Matt Thiessen's

1 game

6 shots

3 saves

3goals against

.500 save percentage

the only difference is Racicot played almost twice the minutes

Racicot 13 mins = a GAA of 13.85

Thiessen 7 mins = a GAA of 25.69 

on the plus side, RRacicot had a winning NHL career even though his best statistical season, had 0 wins but a GAA of 3.17 and a sv% of 8.95

Maybe Thiessen can be our swing d/w/ zamboni driver / ebug

Edited by lmm