The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Top 50 Canucks of All-Time - #12

Rate this topic

-AJ-

Top 50 Canucks of All-Time - #12  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the #12 Canuck of All-Time?

• M. Ohlund
    • A. Burrows
    • R. Brodeur
    • R. Kesler
    • T. Tanti
    • J. Lumme
    • D. Lever
    • B. Morrison
    • K. Bieksa
    • H. Snepsts

This poll is closed to new votes

10 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

crazy%20guy%20laughing%20at%20someone%20

One of the Canucks Greatest Failures.....Sure he would make that top ten list ha ha.     Or a list of Worst Things that Happened to this Franchise.  Our bad luck started off the hop not getting the first pick over Buffalo and things did not look up until your Avatar came to help...

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Shift-4 said:

Edler top 10?  lol

I quit

Believe me i tried hard to make a case for why he should not be the first defenseman off the board.  Have him around five and even then that means Jovo slips out...tough that our franchise has never had an elite defenseman or even a star defenseman outside of Rienhardt for two years and Hughes for one...Jovo was the closest thing to it - but we did not keep him..the only thing missing from his resume is a Stanley cup - Gold medals in Olympics (his saucer pass to Sakic for the game winner in 2002 was awesome) World Championhips and WJs... 500 points and over 1100 games is a very solid career, particularly when you factor in the way he played the game...was on the 2006 team too (we lost) but couldnt play.  You do not get a job in the Olympics unless you are considered one heck of a defenseman - which he was for a decade or so.  . Three seasons in a row with 46-48 points and he missed time - and scored goals for us (17 one year)...IMO he was captain material with us too (went on to captain ARI) and always felt we should have given it to him and kept him as a Canuck until the day he retired - got much better with age too defensively - and man could he hit and fight....Edler bumps him out - not because he is a better defenseman because he is not - but because hes played 300ish more games and looks to be our Chris Phillips or a guy that we draft an plays his entire career with - quite rare these days and thats worth something - but i absolutely agree he should not be in the top ten - top 10-20 for sure and do wish he was not the first defenseman off the board...feel that honour goes to Ohlund, better all around two-way guy - similar production and close to 800 games...

Edit.  BTW Jovo is top 50 all time in goals scored by a defenseman, and five goals away from another guy thats deserves to get nominated soon in Dave Babych....also top 70 all-time for points.   Harvey who is considered a top five defenseman all-time stats actually arent much different...

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

6 hours ago, IBatch said:

One of the Canucks Greatest Failures.....Sure he would make that top ten list ha ha.     Or a list of Worst Things that Happened to this Franchise.  Our bad luck started off the hop not getting the first pick over Buffalo and things did not look up until your Avatar came to help...

You could take 1,000 Mathieu Schneiders and 1,000 Brandon Prusts and it wouldn't be enough failure to fill one inept follicle on Mark Messier's head.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Voted Ohlund who's obviously got this one.

More importantantly nominating this guy...

Q2Kn8QFwSq5Igm47OZHRBclEwtaxwM_sJwVDwlT5

Darcy Rota. Close to a PPG, made it to the SCF and would've achieved even more if he hadn't busted his neck.

Damn, Darcy looks like he's about to go full Vince McMahon there...

HeftyLightHorsemouse-size_restricted.gif

Heck of a player and unfairly overlooked by many.  One of our first 40 goal scorers ever, which ought to get some respect given how the fact that Ryan Kesler got there once himself is always listed among his top accolades.

Only Smyl, Gradin and Boldirev scored more goals for us in the '82 run.  If he had played for us a little longer, he'd be substantially higher on my list but he's definitely on it.

Edited by Kevin Biestra

6 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I would say so.

- Ranked 1st in goals by defenceman

- Ranked 1st in assists by defenceman

- Ranked 1st in points by defenceman

- Ranked 2nd in PPG by defenceman

Has played more games in a Canucks uniform than any other defenceman.

Absolutely - he has been here since we drafted him and is one of the greatest Canucks all-time for sure - and thanks for supporting him vintage - you have your own button so what you say matters for sure.    However he is also 21 for PPG (points per game)and 25 for GPG all-time which also deserves consideration given that we have also had guys that have played significant time with us and were also great Canuck defenseman such as Lidster, Lumme, Kearns and Jovo - plus on the defensive defenseman side all time great Snepsts.   Get that not a lot of old timers on this site making it a less balanced vote which is part of the reason ive posted a lot about older players getting their fair share off air time - the other side of the coin is how many CDCers have whined in the past and thrown Edler under the bus - both in the trade forums and the GDT.  We all wanted more they he could give.  Personally ive deffered a bit to the experts in this case - actual hockey historians that can make a case for Lidster, Lumme and Kearns - and where Edler places in the mix.  Look forward to their next addition as since the last one he has passed some folks for sure (three years old) - that said even he would have to play another few years and at his best before id put him ahead of Ohlund, Lidster and Lumme,  Because all three of them were actually better and played long enough..  Snepsts and Jovo maybe he has passed those guys, Kearns too.   Saying hes the greatest doesnt mean he was the best which i get - but guys that played 600ish-800ish games that were better defenseman deserve their shot too.  Bure played less games then most as is high because he was the best we ever had no debate really.   Mogilny .. well the HHOF came calling soon for Bure and rightly so.

The other thing hes ranked high for is total goals against... and despite leading the defenseman in games played he is way down the list in plus - minus, and we had some very bad teams in the 80s that ate it.    We have to look at the body of work as well as who is the actual better player once it gets to say - 600 games played - 8-9 years for most players and pick the better players in these cases.   Its easier when guys were close in games played to pick the better one - and yes I get both sides in this case - and hope Eagle retires a Canuck....but at this point at least i would say he is about on par with Snepsts - two completely different players for sure - but both also legends from two different eras but not the best.   Ohlund, Lumme or Lidster - then Edler or Snepsts then Jovo is how i would have it.    And if Jovo played with us three or four more years we with us we would not even be discussing this.   Only Canadian player we have had that has played at the top level international play while still one our team....and the Canadians have a much better pool of guys to pull from then any other country,

Edited by IBatch

• -AJ- locked this topic