The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Top 50 Canucks of All-Time - #14

Rate this topic

-AJ-

Top 50 Canucks of All-Time - #14  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the #14 Canuck of All-Time?

• A. Burrows
    • R. Kesler
    • T. Tanti
    • H. Snepsts
    • A. Boudrias
    • D. Lever
    • K. Bieksa
    • B. Morrison
    • J. Lumme
    • D. Kearns

This poll is closed to new votes

In what was a very close race, Richard Brodeur came out of nowhere and stole the show (kind of like in '82) and barely edged out Burrows for the #13 Canuck of All-Time. Kearns was first by quite a bit with eight nominations, so he was added as a voting option for the list.

Reminder to both vote and nominate another player to be added as a voting option!

For those of you who haven't seen these kinds of polls before, the way they work is you vote for who you think is the greatest/top Canuck at the position. As for what is meant by "Greatest" or "Top", I will leave that to each individual. I have my own interpretations, but others may define it differently. Worth noting, that I do want to keep this to their tenures with Vancouver and as players, thus a player like Neely would only be considered for his Vancouver time and guys like Quinn and Crawford would only be considered for their playing careers, not their coaching careers.

The List:

#1 - H. Sedin

#2 - D. Sedin

#3 - T. Linden

#4 - P. Bure

#5 - M. Naslund

#6 - S. Smyl

#7 - R. Luongo

#8 - K. McLean

#9 - T. Gradin

#10 - A. Edler

-------------------

#11 - T. Bertuzzi

#12 - M. Ohlund

#13 - R. Brodeur

• Thanks 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 2

I press on in voting for Kesler, winner of the Selke award, two-time 70+ point scorer, and six-time scorer of 20+ goals for the Canucks.

Nominating Alex Mogilny again, the only Canuck not named Bure to score 50 goals in a season.

• Vintage 1

I vote...  Harold Snepsts.  The only defenseman in 50 years of Canuck history to ever be the face of the franchise.

Also one of very, very few defensemen in Canucks history to represent the team at the All Star Game twice, and the only one to do it as a defensive defenseman.

However, knowing that this is probably Burrows' day in the sun, I will add that he was next on my voting list right after Snepsts.  And also that I have him ahead of Ohlund and Bertuzzi, who are already in.

So to honor #14 on the jersey and possibly in the poll as well...

And I nominate Doug Lidster once again.

Though I have no complaints whatsoever about the great Dennis Kearns entering the poll.

3 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

What a phenomenal victory by the King, Richard Brodeur.  Absolutely stellar stuff and, as always, all you have to do is get him into the game and the man delivers.

They said it couldn't be done.  They said Burrows.  They said Kesler.  But they said the King couldn't win the Memorial Cup in 1972, and he not only won the Cup, but became the first ever winner of the Stafford Smythe Trophy as Memorial Cup MVP.  They said the King couldn't beat Bobby Hull in the 1977 WHA final, and he shut down Bobby Hull and the Winnipeg Jets for the WHA's Stanley Cup.  They said he wouldn't do anything in 1982, and he led your Vancouver Canucks to the Stanley Cup final.

We reached out to the King for comment on this stellar victory and he had the following to say...

But what else would we expect from the greatest underdog in NHL history?

Long live the King!

Is that John Garrett in your avatar picture? Your passion for Brodeur is inspiring, but I'm not sure how King Richard would react to being supplanted by Cheech.

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Is that John Garrett in your avatar picture? Your passion for Brodeur is inspiring, but I'm not sure how King Richard would react to being supplanted by Cheech.

Brodeur had the great playoff performances.  Garrett had the great mask.  It's all about teamwork and that was the tandem we sent out there to stop Wayne Gretzky's Oilers eight times a year.

And despite John Garrett being the backup goalie on a weak team, facing Hall of Famers constantly with little run support and no 100 point player on the roster...he retired as over .500 for his career as a Vancouver Canuck, something that was virtually impossible for a Vancouver Canuck to do in the 1980s.

• Cheers 3

I vote Alex Burrows!

Ryan Kesler was the better player but Alex Burrows was the greater Canuck!

Nominate Ed Jovanovski!

He was the heart of this team!  Provided us with offence, physicality, leadership and energy.  3 time all-star during his time with us.

Oh yeah and he has a gold medal eh!?  He obtained that medal during his time in Vancouver as well. 

hqdefault.jpg.ec593d3443aac5fbbefbdbd784cf42bf.jpg

Edited by Baratheon
Jovocop!
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Burrows #14 or riot 

Still nominating Salo

Im with Coconuts!

Nominating Salo and voted Burr!

#14 for Burr is very fitting... I never had the blessing to see King Richard play but I'm sure he's well worthy of the #13 spot.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

33 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Voted Kesler

Nominating Patrik Sundstrom

32 minutes ago, canuckpuckluck15 said:

Yes #14 at 14 please Alex Burrows

Nominating Gino. Maybe not as skilled as others but what a heart and so entertaining.

Gino and Sundstrom, some fine nominations.  Both these guys are coming up pretty soon on my nominations list.

Patrik Sundstrom is the perfect example of how people can forget you once you don't hold the record anymore (Snepsts, Sedlbauer, Butcher, Gary Smith, Tallon, Kearns, Boudrias, Lever).

Sundstrom's 93 points one year was our high water mark until Pavel Bure and is still well up there on the all time best seasons by a Canuck.

And a lot of people forget that Sundstrom was the scoring star of the Devils' surprise run to the semifinal in 1988.  The Devils went on to great things in the 2000s, so that Cinderella run kind of faded away in people's memories, but it was a big deal.

And much as we thank Trevor Linden for giving us Bertuzzi and eventually Luongo and Markstrom, trading Patrik Sundstrom got us both Kirk McLean and Greg Adams.  So we certainly lost something significant...but we absolutely couldn't have had the 1994 run without him.  We would have had a post-Brodeur goalie graveyard in the 1990s, just like we did post-McLean.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Gino and Sundstrom, some fine nominations.  Both these guys are coming up pretty soon on my nominations list.

Patrik Sundstrom is the perfect example of how people can forget you once you don't hold the record anymore (Snepsts, Sedlbauer, Butcher, Gary Smith, Tallon, Kearns, Smyl, Don Lever).

Sundstrom's 93 points one year was our high water mark until Pavel Bure and is still well up there on the all time best seasons by a Canuck.

All you have to do to see how good Sundstrom was is to look at what the return was when traded to New Jersey. In addition, I believe he still holds the Canucks' record with 7 points in one game and the Stanley Cup playoff record of 8 points in one game while playing for New Jersey.

New Jersey Devils acquire Date Vancouver Canucks acquire
New_Jersey_Devils.gif Patrik Sundstrom
1988 4th round pick (#65-Matt Ruchty)
Devils option to swap 1988 2nd round picks (#23-Jeff Christian)
September 15, 1987
Greg D. Adams
Kirk McLean
Devils option to swap 1988 2nd round picks (#33-Leif Rohlin)
Vancouver_Canucks.gif
Edited by Rick Blight
  • Vintage 1