The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

what is,

smithers joe

Playing baseball and soccer on our street in New West when I was a kid. Also had a chance to see a stock race at an oval dirt track in south Burnaby. One of cars lost a wheel and tire which rolled across a road and onto a shcool yard of a high school (MacPherson Park) I happened to attend many years later.

• Cheers 1

even i´m grewn up with euro football , i m sure it was a tennis match on tv

not sure witch tournament but i guess it was wimbledon , Borg vs. McEnroe  or Borg vs. Connors in 81 

i was 6 1/2 years old  ,..these times we only had 3 tv channels in germany ,.... we were far away from cable tv in the early 80´s 

but all big sports events were shown by these 3 channels 

Edited by Bombastik der Teutone
  • Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

watching wrestling on tv with my grandfather, I can't recall the match just hanging out with him watching it, I was probably 4 or 5. 

I used to watch All-star wrestling on tv with my grandfather as well.  Was probably same age.  He also made us a backyard skating rink - that's easily my first memory of anything sports related. 

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

I used to watch All-star wrestling on tv with my grandfather as well.  Was probably same age.  He also made us a backyard skating rink - that's easily my first memory of anything sports related. 

yeah I was going back and forth on the back yard rink too :lol:  but there were so many of them in SK at that time anyway, seemed like every 3rd house had one, or at least thinking back on it, it seems that way. 

• Cheers 1

Watched 2002 Olympic men's hockey in school, first exposure to hockey at the time and I first saw Hank Zetterberg and Sweden play against Team Belarus.

To this day I'm not sure why I remember that day so vividly.

Edited by Phil_314
  • Cheers 1

there were lots of boys in our neighbour hood. we played every sport but mostly i remember us playing baseball. it grew a love of playing and coaching, later on that helped develop my character and who i was. thanks to old frank who taught us so much. 

hockey for me, was listening to foster hewitt  on the big radio in the living room, giving the play by play of the old six team league, every saturday night. 

• Cheers 1

I remember playing pee-wee baseball when I was ~7. I was playing first base and instead of throwing the ball to the 2nd baseman (which I was being encouraged to do lol), I ran after the guy running bases. He beat me to 2nd, but Billy (I heard "run billy run") skipped 2nd and started rounding the base, I tagged him on his attempt to touch 2nd base. I remember this play because of how ridiculous it was.

• Cheers 1

Probably a Leafs game.

Later that night at 10 PM, a team with a blue, red, and black jersey with a "shark fish" logo started playing.  Fell in love with that team and that's the only one that's mattered ever since.

• Cheers 2

Was at the Coliseum, back in the 70s.  Might have been my first live game.  I brought a notebook for some autographs.  Not sure when it was (after pre-game skate, between periods, or after the game), and Dad and I were hanging out at the barrier as the players were heading back to the dressing room.  I asked someone for an autograph, and the player (wish I could remember who it was) offered to take my book into the dressing room to have the team sign it.

So cool.  Wish I knew where that book went.  Would be fun to see all the names.  I remember how Bob Dailey printed his name.  Looked odd compared to all the script signatures of the rest of the guys.

Does any of you older folks remember a game where (pretty sure it was) Dailey scored from his own zone, with the opposing goalie still in the net?  Think it was against the Blues, but whoever it was, the goalie was looking up at the scoreboard to see how much time was left, and didn't see Dailey dump the puck out.

• Cheers 2

Saturday nights, my Dad glued to the TV at 5pm...…………..it was Spaghetti night every Saturday night...…...My Dad was a Leaf fan! :picard: Then later a Canuck fan, as he started to be a fan of Andre Boudrais, and Charlie Hodge.

There is a little trivia for you, who was the only Canuck to ever win the Vezina?

PS...…..I too, watched wrestling...….

Old Dutch Wrestling......Gene Koninski?, Bull Dog Brown, Erik Zolik, Dean Higuchi...……………..those were the days!

Pretty sure it was hockey first off!

But then again, it could have been the Lions with Paul Brothers at QB, Lefty Hendrikson as a flanker?

No...definitely hockey first

• Cheers 1

I don't have specific memories from the earliest years. The youngest hockey-related memory I have is playing hockey outside with my Dad when I was about 5 years old. I don't think I have any memories of sports earlier than that.

• Cheers 1

My first ever canucks game was vs. NYI.  I remember I went with my dad, his buddy and his kid.  As a kid growing up we didn't have a lot of money, so the 8yo me was kind of bummed when our dads came back from a smoke break and the other kid gets a jersey and I got a puck lol...  So as the game is winding down the kid makes a jab about his jersey.  The four of us are about to leave the arena when I noticed something on the ground....  A US $100 bill.  So I showed my dad and he was like 'just put it in your pocket... dont show anyone', I get why now. 

One thing that I always will remember was how big the players were(seems like the seats were closer at the PNE) and I was absolutely scared of Garth Butcher.  I mean he's a scary looking dude on a good day but he was rocking two black eyes - I laugh now at how terrified I was at the time.  Oh and the nucks lost, big time.  

On 4/3/2020 at 6:08 AM, smithers joe said:

your earliest sports memory, whether playing or watching professional sports? dig back in your memory banks.

For me, it was a BC Lions game that my dad took me to at Empire stadium.

All I remember about the game is that it was against Edmonton and Ted Gerela kicked the winning FG....

• 3 weeks later...