The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Top 50 Canucks of All-Time - #19

Rate this topic

-AJ-

Top 50 Canucks of All-Time - #19  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the #19 Canuck of All-Time?

• J. Lumme
    • B. Morrison
    • K. Bieksa
    • S. Salo
    • A. Boudrias
    • E. Jovanovski
    • D. Lever
    • D. Lidster
    • D. Kearns
    • P. Sundstrom

This poll is closed to new votes

19 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Another quality post. 

I’d say Sundstrom played on such terrible Canuck teams that he should get extra credit, unlike the Sedins, Naslund and even Linden, has in this Top 50 thing. 

Can you comment on this? 

I may be mistaken, but I believe Sundstrom is the only Vancouver draft pick (9th round!) to still hold an all-time NHL record. His 8 points in a playoff game, albeit with New Jersey, is still an NHL record that he shares with Mario.

He was a far more skilled player than a lot of people on here give him credit for. I would even argue that only Thomas Gradin matched his skill levels for the franchise up until the mid 80's.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Really nice to actually hear a fan from those days speak positively of Pederson. Obviously we got shafted in the trade for him, but I always felt that despite being a bit of a disappointment, he was still a good player for us.

Honestly, the guy should have won the Masterton Trophy.  His career is a tragedy, like Tim Kerr or Wayne Babych.  Just bad luck with the body costing him a possible or probable spot in the Hall of Fame.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

For my money...

Murray Craven, Jocelyn Guevremont, Dunc Wilson, Cesare Maniago, Bob Dailey, Doug Halward, Rick Lanz, Gerry O'Flaherty, Ivan Boldirev, Steve Weeks, Chris Oddleifson, Dennis Ververgaert and Ron Sedlbauer.

Rick Lanz...the Salo of the 80's with his howitzer.Ververgaert a hyped power forward with defensive lapses but still a big part of his teams..would add Lindgren and McCarthy - too bad he was injured in 1982.  Those guys are in my list somewhere later on.. Oddleifson too solid playmaker and checker on long forgotten teams.  Nice to see some air time.  When (and it will happen) that some of the lesser players from the WCE era and the Sedin teams start to pop up I hope these guys are not all bumped out of the top 50.  Cooke, Horvat, Tanev and EP have a lot of waiting to do (same with BB) before they bump some of these guys - or a player like Rota...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Rick Lanz...the Salo of the 80's with his howitzer.Ververgaert a hyped power forward with defensive lapses but still a big part of his teams..would add Lindgren and McCarthy - too bad he was injured in 1982.  Those guys are in my list somewhere later on.. Oddleifson too solid playmaker and checker on long forgotten teams.  Nice to see some air time.  When (and it will happen) that some of the lesser players from the WCE era and the Sedin teams start to pop up I hope these guys are not all bumped out of the top 50.  Cooke, Horvat, Tanev and EP have a lot of waiting to do (same with BB) before they bump some of these guys - or a player like Rota...

Yeah, get that Cooke nonsense out of here.  He was the bloody anti-Smyl, anti-Butcher, anti-Delorme, running around doing suspendable crap and then leaving the team's enforcers to clean up the mess.  He poisoned the well for the Canucks with the referees long before Kesler and Burrows.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Upvote 3

44 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I don't disagree with the d-men you have noted above but another d-man that nobody on here ever talks about is Bob Dailey. He was only with the team for less than 4 years before being traded to Philadelphia at the ripe old age of 23. However, his 3+ years with the Canucks were very good for such a young d-man. He had 48 points in a 70 game schedule as a 21 year old and I remember thinking this guy was going to be our top d-man for many, many years to come.He was the total package at 6'5 and 220 lbs with very good offensive skills.

Vancouver Canucks acquire Date Philadelphia Flyers acquire
Vancouver_Canucks.gif Larry Goodenough
Jack McIlhargey
January 20, 1977
Bob Dailey Philadelphia_Flyers.gif
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Rick Blight said:

I don't disagree with the d-men you have noted above but another d-man that nobody on here ever talks about is Bob Dailey. He was only with the team for less than 4 years before being traded to Philadelphia at the ripe old age of 23. However, his 3+ years with the Canucks were very good for such a young d-man. He had 48 points in a 70 game schedule as a 21 year old and I remember thinking this guy was going to be our top d-man for many, many years to come.He was the total package at 6'5 and 220 lbs with very good offensive skills.

Jack McIlhargey
January 20, 1977

Good call...He went on to appear in a couple all-star games in PHI and set some records for them - a big part of Quins team that went to the final too (and had that crazy unbeaten streak that won't ever be broken now with ties gone).  Big Bob Dailey was PHI answer to Robinson in MTL (not that it helped much - he came in and made mince-meat out one flyer after another and helped the Habs lose their PHI flu).   Sad that his career was cut short and that he passed away too young.  RIP.   Our team should have kept him obviously - turned into a not so good trade for us.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

Jack McIlhargey
January 20, 1977

Yeah but it was worth it in the end when we flipped Larry and a 3rd rounder for Bob Adequate and Jason Satisfactory.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Yeah, get that Cooke nonsense out of here.  He was the bloody anti-Smyl, anti-Butcher, anti-Delorme, running around doing suspendable crap and then leaving the team's enforcers to clean up the mess.  He poisoned the well for the Canucks with the referees long before Kesler and Burrows.

I would contest that the majority of Cooke's dirtiest hits and plays were after his Canuck days. He was definitely a hard hitter, but he didn't start ending careers until he left Vancouver.

• Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I would contest that the majority of Cooke's dirtiest hits and plays were after his Canuck days. He was definitely a hard hitter, but he didn't start ending careers until he left Vancouver.

This is true.  It was almost like he kept riding the edge to the point he fell off and didn't know how to get back (well eventually near the end of his career he did but even then it only lasted a couple years and he did it again in his last gig).   Savard was a great player that lost his career to a head shot and as a result finally woke the league up to actually changing the way the game was called.  Cooke is a footnote on how that all unravelled.  It also needed an ammendment -thanks to Cooke and others antic's to include all head shots not just the primary point of contact.   Stevens crushing hits would be suspensions now...Cooke was a pretty popular player well here and scored some big goals.  Later he became the most hated player in the league - sometimes even on his own team (Mario was lambasting the league to clean things up - then Cooke went out and did his thing - and made them fools - soon sent packing).  

• Like 1

• -AJ- locked this topic