The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Top 50 Canucks of All-Time - #21

Rate this topic

-AJ-

Top 50 Canucks of All-Time - #21  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the #21 Canuck of All-Time?

• B. Morrison
    • A. Boudrias
    • E. Jovanovski
    • P. Sundstrom
    • D. Lidster
    • K. Bieksa
    • C. Ronning
    • D. Kearns
    • D. Lever
    • G. Adams

This poll is closed to new votes

4 hours ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

Just voted Boudrias and OMG, realized that Gary Smith isn't even on any of the lists yet!  Does no one else recall hearing how Jim Robson went out of his way (very uncharacteristically) to tout Smith as league MVP back in the mid-70's?  I nominate Gary Smith!

And Gary came pretty close.

6th place for the Hart Trophy, 3rd for the 1st All-Star Team which back then was equal to the Vezina Trophy today.  He beat out Ken Dryden, Tony Esposito, Billy Smith, Gerry Cheevers...

I think he has to be our only player to finish in the top 6 for the Hart Trophy that hasn't been nominated.  In fact, I would guess that anyone else who has done that is already actually voted in.

And the also not-yet-nominated Orland Kurtenbach was 7th for the Hart Trophy one year for the Canucks.

Don't get me wrong, I am happy to see some of the more recent guys get nominations and votes...  But I have them a little after our first ever captain and Hart Trophy candidate, and also our first ever star goalie / the guy who gave us the only banner to hang in our rafters for the first decade of the team's existence.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Vote Boudrias this round...looks like this time the vote might matter more.   Nominate Dave Babych.....

I was almost sure I'd be the first guy to nominate Dave.  Well done.

Both Babyches are guys I wish had seen have injury free careers.  The sky was the limit.

Did you know that Roman Hamrlik chose #44 because he saw Dave play when he was a kid and was blown away by him?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I was almost sure I'd be the first guy to nominate Dave.  Well done.

Both Babyches are guys I wish had seen have injury free careers.  The sky was the limit.

Did you know that Roman Hamrlik chose #44 because he saw Dave play when he was a kid and was blown away by him?

One of my favourites all-time and have been itching to nominate him for awhile.  A few around now that still deserve consideration - looks pretty split.   Saw your 1993 post and was just watching the first few minutes....glad I made that decision.  Didn't know about that (Hamrlik).   Think others try but failed to be like him - WD, Snepsts...altough pretty good lip dusters too ha ha

Edited by IBatch
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Vote Jovo

Nominate Gino - Gino has meant a lot to this team since a layer and still today...He needs to be on the board.

Edited by GarthButcher5
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

One of my favourites all-time and have been itching to nominate him for awhile.  A few around now that still deserve consideration - looks pretty split.   Saw your 1993 post and was just watching the first few minutes....glad I made that decision.  Didn't know about that (Hamrlik).   Think others try but failed to be like him - WD, Snepsts...altough pretty good lip dusters too ha ha

One of my best memories of Babych is pretty inconsequential, but it was the CBC HNIC lead-in montage to Game 4 of round 2 against Chicago in 1995.  The Canucks were down 3-0 and facing a sweep, and it played this intense piano music as the camera panned down the Canucks bench looking solemn and determined and it lingered on Babych.  Never saw that again, and it's been 25 years but the look in Babych's eyes always stuck with me.

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, GarthButcher5 said:

Vote Jovo

Nominate Gino - Gino has meant a lot to this team since a layer and still today...He needs to be on the board.

This is killing me.  I'm watching fools get put up there for votes...

mr-t-clubber-lang-rocky3.jpg

And no Gino, no Tiger, no Gary Smith, no Orland Kurtenbach, no Dave Babych, no Petri Skriko.

My prediction...

PAIN.

Don't give the West Coast Express no statue, give them guts!

The way this message board has been ducking Dave Babych is a disgrace.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

This is killing me.  I'm watching fools get put up there for votes...

mr-t-clubber-lang-rocky3.jpg

And no Gino, no Tiger, no Gary Smith, no Orland Kurtenbach, no Dave Babych, no Petri Skriko.

My prediction...

PAIN.

Don't give the West Coast Express no statue, give them guts!

The way this message board has been ducking Dave Babych is a disgrace.

Yes, Gino, Tiger, Kurtenbach, Babych, Skriko and Garth Butcher all need to get on there soon!!!

• Like 1

Just now, 189lb enforcers? said:

Happy to see many Dmen on the list. 

Orland should be in the top 20, higher, but it’s democratic, so I get it. 

@Kevin Biestra where do you have the original Captain Canuck on your list? 

I want him to be higher but I have him in the early 20s.  It feels wrong for him not be in the teens but the numbers game was just too much.

If I did the list on another day, he might be top 20 and knock down someone like Boudrias or Lever or Ronning.  I have those guys really close together.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

In terms of "greatest" I don't just look at production/success.  I look at "years of service", commitment to the team (even after retirement/leaving), how an entire team came together and chemistry that mattered in overall success.

I feel Bieksa and his ten years is worthy.  Was first going Boudrias (considering Ronning too).   Juice is heart and soul go to war for his brothers Canuck.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

35 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I want him to be higher but I have him in the early 20s.  It feels wrong for him not be in the teens but the numbers game was just too much.

If I did the list on another day, he might be top 20 and knock down someone like Boudrias or Lever or Ronning.  I have those guys really close together.

I get that Orland was first and that's important but it was 4 seasons and he wasn't playing the full seasons.  If we're talking about Orland Kurtenbach then I think I certainly have a case to be made for Bo!  No?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

I get that Orland was first and that's important but it was 4 seasons and he wasn't playing the full seasons.  If we're talking about Orland Kurtenbach then I think I certainly have a case to be made for Bo!  No?

Well, like I said earlier, I think Chris Oddleifson is the comparable for Bo.  And that's a compliment to both Horvat and Oddleifson.

On the one hand, I think Boudrias unfairly doesn't get the share of credit he deserves with Kurtenbach as team pioneers and early captains.

And on the other, I think people assume Kurtenbach gets honored only for being the first captain and not for being good.  That first season, he was 7th place in Hart Trophy voting.

It was late in his career and he had never even been a 40 point guy, but the Canucks grabbed him for some veteran leadership and he raised his game and became the hero the team needed.  At an age where most guys were winding down and heading for greener pastures in those days.

But I wouldn't say someone is patently wrong if they took his body of work with the Canucks and grouped it in with Bo or Oddleifson.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Well, like I said earlier, I think Chris Oddleifson is the comparable for Bo.  And that's a compliment to both Horvat and Oddleifson.

On the one hand, I think Boudrias unfairly doesn't get the share of credit he deserves with Kurtenbach as team pioneers and early captains.

And on the other, I think people assume Kurtenbach gets honored only for being the first captain and not for being good.  That first season, he was 7th place in Hart Trophy voting.

It was late in his career and he had never even been a 40 point guy, but the Canucks grabbed him for some veteran leadership and he raised his game and became the hero the team needed.  At an age where most guys were winding down and heading for greener pastures in those days.

But I wouldn't say someone is patently wrong if they took his body of work with the Canucks and grouped it in with Bo or Oddleifson.

Boudrias is another one who has been in the back of my mind haha.  The votes are getting more and more tricky.

You're pretty big on Oddleifson eh?  I'm doing to have to do some digging and get more familiar with him.  I think for me what penalizes him is that he was a winger rather than a center (maybe I put more importance on that than I should) and he never hit 20 goals in a season.  The intangibles on and off the ice for both Kurtenbach and Horvat are also well documented.  

I just want to be sure that we are not penalizing some of the more modern players just because we have not had a couple of decades to think about them.  (as you know I am also concerned that older players will be forgotten lol)

Pettersson and Hughes also are troubling for me.  I want to automatically dismiss them both for having such small sample sizes.  On the other hand I would say that no rookies have ever taken the city by storm like them since Bure and Linden before that.  It would be an interesting documentary to watch if for whatever reason Hughes and Petey had their careers end right now.  (depressing but interesting lol)

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

Pettersson and Hughes also are troubling for me.  I want to automatically dismiss them both for having such small sample sizes.  On the other hand I would say that no rookies have ever taken the city by storm like them since Bure and Linden before that.  It would be an interesting documentary to watch if for whatever reason Hughes and Petey had their careers end right now.  (depressing but interesting lol)

At the outset I thought Hughes would be in the top 50 for me, but when I actually wrote out the names, and realized that guys like Dale Tallon and Jocelyn Guevremont were outside the top 50 (both 50 point rookie defensemen with other seasons of contributions under their belts) I couldn't in good conscience put Hughes in there.  Maybe if he wins the Calder and brings some hardware to the table he could squeak in.

But yeah, there haven't been a lot of rookies that got the city really pumped.  And I've already said I think Hughes will be in the Hall of Fame.

But he's still gotta actually do the stuff to get there.

• Cheers 1