The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Layoffs TEAM 1040

Gurn

I've chimed in once or twice after a game but I never really got the concept. Their opinion is no different than yours or mine. I'm sure we all follow the games closely and understand how things work.

With smart phones, We get the info straight to us when it breaks. I'm sure radio will be a thing of the past soon. Especially music stations, I can only listen to 1 song every 30 mins so many times.

Patrick Johnson made it sound like it was just cutback of hours where they were telling guys to take vacations, etc.

Can't blame the station, we go there for sports fix, NHL, NBA, NFL, etc. but theres nothing going on, only so many times we can continue to pound the same things.  They have gone over virtually every prospect in the first rounds and local kids that may get drafted.  Theres nothing to update anyone with, all the leagues are just at a standstill with no movement now or any time soon so to justify paying guys their wages to talk about comedy, actors, movies, or whatever, theres only so much you can do before its time to put people on EI or CERB until things get back to normal. 

On 4/10/2020 at 1:44 PM, nux4lyfe said:

I've chimed in once or twice after a game but I never really got the concept. Their opinion is no different than yours or mine. I'm sure we all follow the games closely and understand how things work.

With smart phones, We get the info straight to us when it breaks. I'm sure radio will be a thing of the past soon. Especially music stations, I can only listen to 1 song every 30 mins so many times.

Lmao.  So true!!  Recently did a flooring job and had a generic station on for 7 hrs.   My god it’s like they are only allowed to play certain songs.  They have a pre made song list for 30 min... and those same songs are shuffled and played again over and over!!

• Cheers 1

On 4/14/2020 at 10:00 AM, gurn said:

No Donnie and the Moj on TEAM 1040. 

Seahawks classic,     game I guess.

so long Donnie

take care Moj.

Yeah how bad have those two been that they got replaced by a rerun of a seahawk game..... on the radio?  Like you might as well just play radio static.  

• Haha 1

On 4/10/2020 at 10:44 AM, nux4lyfe said:

Do you not discuss sports with your friends? They probably know as much as you do too, if you actually have good hosts, listening to them discuss a topic is interesting. I don't really think its that much different than listening to someone be interviewed. The shows can be insightful too, like last draft when Sat Shah, Ryan Biech and Cam Robinson went through the draft rankings and broke down the prospects.

Besides, nobody really sits completely still and listens to it. You put it on while you do other things. I download them as podcasts for when I'm at work or commuting or something.

• 1 year later...

Bell at it again: TV side this time

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/topstories/bell-media-laid-off-ctv-vancouver-anchors-and-radio-hosts/ar-AAUYR6S?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531

Bell Media is once again gutting newsrooms with another round of layoffs, this time targetting Vancouver.

As reported by Daily Hive, several high-profile staffers at CTV Vancouver and Bell-owned radio stations were laid off. Moreover, Daily Hive shared tweets confirming the cuts from several of those who were laid off.

CTV Vancouver’s Scott Roberts, co-host of CTV News at Six, was among those laid off. Roberts, a Jack Webster Award-winning journalist, co-anchored the show since August 2018 alongside veteran journalist Mi-Jung Lee, and had been with the station for over a decade.

CTV Morning Live segment host and traffic reporter Luisa Alvarez was also laid off. Alvarez did traffic updates on TSN 1040 and BNN Bloomberg 1410 as well. She joined CTV Vancouver in 2019 before transitioning to CTV Morning Live the following year.

Outside of CTV Vancouver, Bell Media has let go of at least two employees at radio stations it owns in Vancouver. That includes Olivia Jones, the midday host of Move 103.5 FM. Reports indicate that Amy Beeman, the producer of 94.5 Virgin Radio’s Morning Show, was also laid off. That comes just weeks after longtime morning show host Jonny Staub left the show.

Bell Media came under fire for job cuts around the same time last year, when the company cut an estimated 250 positions in the Greater Toronto Area and beyond. The move came on the heels of Bell’s successful ‘Let’s Talk Day’ in 2021.

Moreover, OpenMedia started a petition in 2021 to make Canadian telecom companies pay back wage subsidies received through the Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy (CEWS) program. OpenMedia accused companies of taking the wage relief and paying it out to investors — Bell took particular ire over the Bell Media layoffs since CEWS was intended to help keep people employed.

3 hours ago, gurn said:

Bell at it again: TV side this time

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/topstories/bell-media-laid-off-ctv-vancouver-anchors-and-radio-hosts/ar-AAUYR6S?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531

Bell Media is once again gutting newsrooms with another round of layoffs, this time targetting Vancouver.

As reported by Daily Hive, several high-profile staffers at CTV Vancouver and Bell-owned radio stations were laid off. Moreover, Daily Hive shared tweets confirming the cuts from several of those who were laid off.

CTV Vancouver’s Scott Roberts, co-host of CTV News at Six, was among those laid off. Roberts, a Jack Webster Award-winning journalist, co-anchored the show since August 2018 alongside veteran journalist Mi-Jung Lee, and had been with the station for over a decade.

CTV Morning Live segment host and traffic reporter Luisa Alvarez was also laid off. Alvarez did traffic updates on TSN 1040 and BNN Bloomberg 1410 as well. She joined CTV Vancouver in 2019 before transitioning to CTV Morning Live the following year.

Outside of CTV Vancouver, Bell Media has let go of at least two employees at radio stations it owns in Vancouver. That includes Olivia Jones, the midday host of Move 103.5 FM. Reports indicate that Amy Beeman, the producer of 94.5 Virgin Radio’s Morning Show, was also laid off. That comes just weeks after longtime morning show host Jonny Staub left the show.

Bell Media came under fire for job cuts around the same time last year, when the company cut an estimated 250 positions in the Greater Toronto Area and beyond. The move came on the heels of Bell’s successful ‘Let’s Talk Day’ in 2021.

Moreover, OpenMedia started a petition in 2021 to make Canadian telecom companies pay back wage subsidies received through the Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy (CEWS) program. OpenMedia accused companies of taking the wage relief and paying it out to investors — Bell took particular ire over the Bell Media layoffs since CEWS was intended to help keep people employed.

It's embarrassing that they have Bell Let's Talk every year and then they do this...

• Upvote 3

Driving around Powell River today and could not get Sportsnet 650 on my AM radio.

"Damn, not them too, How the heck do I listen to the Canuck games, when I'm away from the TV?"

Get home, turn on computer, go to web, station still on the air. Big sigh of relief.

• 4 weeks later...

Latest numbers for Sportsnet 650 are huge

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/sportsnet-650-sports-radio-ratings-up?__vfz=medium%3Dsharebar

The smiles coming out of the Sportsnet 650 studios have been big since the latest ratings book was released.

With TSN gone, the morning show numbers jumped to a 3.5 share during the spring ratings period. Fast-forward to the 2022 winter ratings book and Sportsnet 650 captured a 6.9 share, with Halford and Brough having moved from TSN to Sportsnet after 1040’s demise.

Elsewhere, the midday slot from 10 am to 3 pm — comprised of The Jeff Marek Show, the Canucks Hour with Jamie Dodd and Thomas Drance, and The People’s Show, hosted by Bik Nizzar and Randip Janda — has a 4.9 share. One year ago, Sportsnet was sitting at 2.7 in that time slot.

Much like the morning show, much of the midday programming was tweaked leading into this book.

The afternoon time frame, which now includes a portion of The People’s Show, but is mainly comprised of Canucks Central with Satiar Shah and Dan Riccio, saw a massive spike in ratings, up to 7.1 from 1.7 a year ago. It also boasted some Canucks radio broadcasts during the ratings cycle.

^ Funny- as I'm actually not a fan of Sportsnet 650.

Halford and Brough are ok

but 2 hours of  Jeff Marek's show is not ok

Then a 1 hr  highlight of the H and B show--- really annoying to listen to, if you heard the original program.

Then some live stuff, then if no hockey they will redo the Marek program.

Way too much repitition.

On 3/15/2022 at 2:20 PM, gurn said:

Driving around Powell River today and could not get Sportsnet 650 on my AM radio.

"Damn, not them too, How the heck do I listen to the Canuck games, when I'm away from the TV?"

Get home, turn on computer, go to web, station still on the air. Big sigh of relief.

I don't get 650 in the fraser valley, I have to stream my phone if I want it

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Mackcanuck said:

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/sportsnet-650-sports-radio-ratings-up?__vfz=medium%3Dsharebar

The smiles coming out of the Sportsnet 650 studios have been big since the latest ratings book was released.

With TSN gone, the morning show numbers jumped to a 3.5 share during the spring ratings period. Fast-forward to the 2022 winter ratings book and Sportsnet 650 captured a 6.9 share, with Halford and Brough having moved from TSN to Sportsnet after 1040’s demise.

Elsewhere, the midday slot from 10 am to 3 pm — comprised of The Jeff Marek Show, the Canucks Hour with Jamie Dodd and Thomas Drance, and The People’s Show, hosted by Bik Nizzar and Randip Janda — has a 4.9 share. One year ago, Sportsnet was sitting at 2.7 in that time slot.

Much like the morning show, much of the midday programming was tweaked leading into this book.

The afternoon time frame, which now includes a portion of The People’s Show, but is mainly comprised of Canucks Central with Satiar Shah and Dan Riccio, saw a massive spike in ratings, up to 7.1 from 1.7 a year ago. It also boasted some Canucks radio broadcasts during the ratings cycle.

I don't think it's so much to do with quality of content.  I think it has more to do with the fact there has been tons of speculative discussion around Miller, Boeser, etc that is driving the ratings.  I know I've tuned in more this year than previous years because I wanna hear what the latest is on information surrounding the Canucks players that may be on the move this season or the off season.

On 4/13/2022 at 10:58 AM, Mackcanuck said:

The "funniest"  statement from that article is this one:

Congrats are in order for CKST 1040 AM who finished 19th out of 19 measuring stations in Vancouver in the recent PPM 12+ ratings!

That's hilarious.  Those guys at Bell programming must be geniuses in thinking people are interested in radio comedy.   Comedy on radio has been dead since the Jack Benny (only old timers will know who that guy was) Show went away in the 1950's.

On the hand the bean counters must be patting themselves on their backs for getting rid of the contracts of the radio hosts they fired.  "Hey, we are not making any money but the losses can offset gains elsewhere."