The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Unique solution to our cap challenges x 2 compliance buyouts

There's a growing sentiment around league sources suggesting the NHL may consider allowing teams to utilize compliance buy-outs as a solution to many of the teams struggling with what is expected to be a tight next year as we recover from the effects of COVID-19.

Assuming teams were permitted to utilize 2 compliance buy-outs, Vancouver's obvious first choice would be Loui Eriksson and his $6 M cap hit for the next two years. The next most likely option would arguably be Brandon Sutter with his $4.4 M cap hit for next year.  With the emergence of Adam Gaudette this makes perfect sense.  However, I would suggest this is the easy solution, but not necessarily the best solution.  I realize this will sound crazy and will require ownership to swallow a tough pill, but what if we considered exercising our second compliance buy-out on Tyler Myers?  I'm not suggesting he's played poorly, but I'm not sure he's going to be worth $6 M for each of the next 4 years with all the developing talent we have been blessed with.  Just looking at next year alone we have emerging talents in Jack Rathbone, Brogan Rafferty, Olli Juolevi and Nikita Tryamkin expressing interest in returning.  In such a scenario, we'd undoubtedly be looking to re-up Chris Tanev at likely a reasonable dollar value for 1-3 years.  We can debate the merits of where and if Stecher, Benn and Fantenburg fit, but probably not the bigger picture question right now.  Its not so much an issue of ownership having to say they've made a mistake in signing Myers but rather, circumstances have changed, we are now blessed with a growing number of talented young players, some of which will be with us for years to come and its now necessary for us to revise our plans.

I know this all sounds crazy but the underlying benefit is these two compliance buy-outs would free up $12 M immediately and then after the completion of the 20/21 season another $12 M would fall off the books as the following salaries and buy-outs come to and end; Sutter ($4.4 M), Pearson ($3.8 M), Baertschi ($3.4 M) and Spooner ($1 M).  This would free up a further $12 M in salary within another 15 months, totaling $24 M in that time frame.  Sure someone like Tanner Pearson maybe someone we wish to re-up at the end of the 20/21 season, but at least we would now have the option to see how the youngsters have developed by that time such as Cole Lind, Vasily Podkolzin, NIls Hoglander and has Jake Virtanen finally realized his full potential or at least become that reliable, hardnosed, hard-skating, defensibly responsible 3rd line player we've been hoping for.

By exercising these first two compliance buy-outs on Eriksson and Myers, we'd be in the position to re-sign Markstrom ($6.5 M x 4 years), Toffoli ($6 M x 4-5 years), Tanev ($4 M x 2 years), Gaudette ($2.5 M x 2 years), Virtanen ($3.5 M x 3 years).  Don't see a place for Josh Leivo any longer unfortunately.

Looking forward to hearing some criticism and feedback

Two might be a bit of a stretch- where did you garner that info from?

I would rather keep Myers over Tanev  He had a bit of an up and down season but overall he's a steady d man.  Not to mention buying out that much of a contract....try persuading FA to do that.

• Upvote 1

I can't see management buying out Myers. Even if it is not counted towards the cap, they will still have to pay the guy about $19m of his $23m remaining on the contract. So although it might look like a nice way to clear cap, they aren't going to spend $19m just to clear some space.

17 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

I can't see management buying out Myers. Even if it is not counted towards the cap, they will still have to pay the guy about $19m of his $23m remaining on the contract. So although it might look like a nice way to clear cap, they aren't going to spend $19m just to clear some space.

Yea agreed. Think Big Tex is safe. Also would make JB look like crap after signing him just a year ago. 

• Cheers 1

49 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

And if this assumption is no longer valid; buyouts, they cost money, right? 

Buyouts cost money, sure.  But if you can buyout player 'X' in order to sign player 'Y', you've theoretically made your team better - then you've just increased your chances of making playoffs where you're going to presumably make that money back and then some.   Spend money now (buyout) to make money in the future (playoffs), Aquaman of all people would know this business principal - it's a risk/reward business move and not guaranteed, but it's business after all, nothing is guaranteed. 

1 hour ago, NHL'er said:

Also would make JB look like crap after signing him just a year ago. 

Well if this team takes a step backwards I don't think his 'rep' will matter much after that.  

I agree 100% Myers and Eriksson.  

1 hour ago, NHL'er said:

Yea agreed. Think Big Tex is safe. Also would make JB look like crap after signing him just a year ago. 

This is also what I’ve been saying to people who want Myers bought out. I highly doubt future free agents who might have interest in signing in Vancouver would if they see players bought out after only one season. 

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Pears said:

This is also what I’ve been saying to people who want Myers bought out. I highly doubt future free agents who might have interest in signing in Vancouver would if they see players bought out after only one season. 

possible yes, but at the end of the day most players go where the $$$ is and if Van offers the best contract or has a solid offer and they are considered a "good" team who is competing yearly in the playoffs then I think players will  still sign.

This is a 1 of type of situation,I would so much rather be able to keep Toffoli AND Tanev while losing Myers vs sign 1 of those 2 and keep Myers.

Tanev>Myers - hopefully would cost less than 6m and 5yr term as well 

3 hours ago, Mapleridge54 said:

There's a growing sentiment around league sources suggesting the NHL may consider allowing teams to utilize compliance buy-outs as a solution to many of the teams struggling with what is expected to be a tight next year as we recover from the effects of COVID-19.

Assuming teams were permitted to utilize 2 compliance buy-outs, Vancouver's obvious first choice would be Loui Eriksson and his $6 M cap hit for the next two years. The next most likely option would arguably be Brandon Sutter with his $4.4 M cap hit for next year.  With the emergence of Adam Gaudette this makes perfect sense.  However, I would suggest this is the easy solution, but not necessarily the best solution.  I realize this will sound crazy and will require ownership to swallow a tough pill, but what if we considered exercising our second compliance buy-out on Tyler Myers?  I'm not suggesting he's played poorly, but I'm not sure he's going to be worth $6 M for each of the next 4 years with all the developing talent we have been blessed with.  Just looking at next year alone we have emerging talents in Jack Rathbone, Brogan Rafferty, Olli Juolevi and Nikita Tryamkin expressing interest in returning.  In such a scenario, we'd undoubtedly be looking to re-up Chris Tanev at likely a reasonable dollar value for 1-3 years.  We can debate the merits of where and if Stecher, Benn and Fantenburg fit, but probably not the bigger picture question right now.  Its not so much an issue of ownership having to say they've made a mistake in signing Myers but rather, circumstances have changed, we are now blessed with a growing number of talented young players, some of which will be with us for years to come and its now necessary for us to revise our plans.

I know this all sounds crazy but the underlying benefit is these two compliance buy-outs would free up $12 M immediately and then after the completion of the 20/21 season another $12 M would fall off the books as the following salaries and buy-outs come to and end; Sutter ($4.4 M), Pearson ($3.8 M), Baertschi ($3.4 M) and Spooner ($1 M).  This would free up a further $12 M in salary within another 15 months, totaling $24 M in that time frame.  Sure someone like Tanner Pearson maybe someone we wish to re-up at the end of the 20/21 season, but at least we would now have the option to see how the youngsters have developed by that time such as Cole Lind, Vasily Podkolzin, NIls Hoglander and has Jake Virtanen finally realized his full potential or at least become that reliable, hardnosed, hard-skating, defensibly responsible 3rd line player we've been hoping for.

By exercising these first two compliance buy-outs on Eriksson and Myers, we'd be in the position to re-sign Markstrom ($6.5 M x 4 years), Toffoli ($6 M x 4-5 years), Tanev ($4 M x 2 years), Gaudette ($2.5 M x 2 years), Virtanen ($3.5 M x 3 years).  Don't see a place for Josh Leivo any longer unfortunately.

Edited by wildcam

There are so many variables...…..compliance buyouts, buyouts, trades, Trades with retention, retirement, LTIR, Mutual Agreement Termination, UFA walk,RFA walk

Compliance buyouts...…….Eriksson, Baertschi, Sutter, Myers*, Roussel (I doubt Myers is bought out)

Buyouts...…………………...Eriksson, Baertschi, Sutter, Myers*, Roussel (I doubt Myers is bought out)

Trades...…………………….Sutter, Roussel, Benn, Leivo

Trades With Retention...….Sutter, Roussel, Benn, Baertschi, Leivo

Retirement...………………..Eriksson, Ferland, Baertschi

LTIR...……………………….Ferland

MAT...………………………..Eriksson, Baertschi

UFA walk...………………….Fantenberg, Leivo, Tanev*, Markstrom*  ( I doubt either CT, or JM will be walking)

RFA walk...………………….Stecher

using buyouts as the main tool to deal with this significant revenue drop

it not very realistic

contracts are almost always based by reference to percentage of cap

if the cap drops due to revenue reductions

and buyouts are used to reduce team cap totals

the remaining contracts all bump up in relation to percentage of cap

that is unfair to the teams and other players

i don't think this is the primary tool the nhl will use

i doubt the nhlpa supports this tool as much as posters seem to want to

the best tool to maintain the present contract to cap balance

is escrow

keep the cap where it is (keep it artificially high)

increase the amount that goes into escrow

so that each and every player is equally impacted by the revenue reduction

this is the method the nhl will most likely adopt

compliance buyouts does not really do much

and really are not required at all

unless a decision is made to reduce the salary cap

• Upvote 1

=€÷€× /£#(@&(÷ _₩÷÷*/

+/€=#^&@*())!*";"

Makes about as much sense as buying out myers, ever.

Not.even.1.year.in.and.people.want.to.buy.him.out

No one aside from Chara brings what 57 does.

Myers chose to be here.

He's a bc resident, loves it here.

He could have signed for more elsewhere!

Internal cap hit with UFA agreeing is something not to mess with.

Only buy outs needed is Eriksson and Baer and poof! 10 million!

7 hours ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

=€÷€× /£#(@&(÷ _₩÷÷*/

+/€=#^&@*())!*";"

Makes about as much sense as buying out myers, ever.

the problem with the buyout Myers thing is who do we replace him with? its not Tryamkin who we'd be lucky to have be our 5/6 guy at least in his 1st year back.

not sure who of the top 10 RHD UFAs are going to come cheaper, or be that much better, or want to come here: https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/free-agents/2021/caphit/all/defense/ufa/desc/1/right

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

the problem with the buyout Myers thing is who do we replace him with? its not Tryamkin who we'd be lucky to have be our 5/6 guy at least in his 1st year back.

not sure who of the top 10 RHD UFAs are going to come cheaper, or be that much better, or want to come here: https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/free-agents/2021/caphit/all/defense/ufa/desc/1/right

Exactly! 

Rhd is ok with Tanev, Myers and Stech.

Tanev is UFA and Stech is RFA

That leaves, 

Edler, Hughes,Benn Juolevi, Fantenberg Ufa, Brisebois, Sautner, rathbone...?..? Tryamkin?

then rhd Myers and Rafferty....

Whats the cost of re-signing Tanev Vs. Acquiring Manson/Ristolainen/Severson etc via trade 

On 4/14/2020 at 12:38 PM, Mapleridge54 said:

I like your thinking but for a unique solution I’d rather see erikson bought out. And something like beagle Sutter and Baer traded for Bobby Ryan or Andrew Ladd to buy out would add way more cap this and next year without adding a glaring hole on d although I’m not a huge Myers fan. 

10 hours ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Exactly! 

Rhd is ok with Tanev, Myers and Stech.

Tanev is UFA and Stech is RFA

That leaves, 

Edler, Hughes,Benn Juolevi, Fantenberg Ufa, Brisebois, Sautner, rathbone...?..? Tryamkin?

then rhd Myers and Rafferty....

Whats the cost of re-signing Tanev Vs. Acquiring Manson/Ristolainen/Severson etc via trade 

a trade would be prohibitive, we have some really good prospects but its not like we can flush many more of them just to make potentially lateral moves.

To me the only disappointment from the d group last year was Benn, he really stunk some nights. I'd look at moving him out, and parting ways with Fantenberg as we have guys from Utica that can fill Fanta's role. Stecher might be a casualty of the cap, we have to wait and see if there's going to be a compliance buyout or not.

I guess you could see a signing of Barrie over Tanev?