The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sportsnet Interview with Brian Burke - Cap info

Rate this topic

VegasCanuck

Just listening to this interview on Sportsnet, Burke is saying that he can't imagine that there won't be a rollback and that the rollback could easily be as much as 40% of existing salaries to make numbers work.

Thinks they will be back and probably playing to empty buildings to finish out the season.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Just listening to this interview on Sportsnet, Burke is saying that he can't imagine that there won't be a rollback and that the rollback could easily be as much as 40% of existing salaries to make numbers work.

Thinks they will be back and probably playing to empty buildings to finish out the season.

wow. That won't be popular. But if they can get things going within a few weeks they might be able to capitalize on a desperate tv market and it may not be that bad. 

18 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

The problem with Burke is he is someone who likes to hear his own voice. So I am not sure whether his speculation is well thought out and substantive or this is just his usual spitballing.

Its not just the lost revenue from losing the season and or possibly part of next season.  The amount of corporate support going forward that the league relies on is immense.  Some of the corporations may not recover for years and paying for sports tickets and luxury boxes may not be a priority.  Even every day fans will be cutting back.

1 minute ago, N7Nucks said:

Burke is a smart man with good insight. At this point people don’t seem to trust anyone.

His analysis of the game is worth listening to, his baseless speculation imho isn't. Regardless I won't derail this thread for those who want to discuss the substance of his comments.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, The Colt 45s said:

I am fine with us, but other concessions should be made including the elimination of the cap floor. 

It's part and parcel of the cap ceiling, to get the players to agree there has to be a cap floor. Otherwise you could be say Arizona and put in nothing but rookies and AHLers and spend $25 million. It would help Arizonas weak financial picture but they'd never compete. You'd cut your own throat to save money and the NHL would turn into MLB. With the haves and the have not's. So it won't happen. 

• Upvote 1

Think there might be too.  50/50 split is what it is.  Mentioned this in another thread...players might opt or have no choice but to just roll-back salaries instead of this fantasy that owners will essentially "loan" the players a bunch of money and buy out one or two bad contracts to keep the cap where it is now....they already did pre-pay them three pays for a season that is essentially lost - no ticket sales - very little revenue - the TV deal won't cover that much past administration staff to get the teams to play games in empty buildings and the three pay periods already paid to players .... in the real world people lose their jobs - or at the very least don't get paid for not working.  Athletes won't get much sympathy - the same way they weren't when the league locked them out for a year given how fast their paycheques went up over a ten year period before that and after salary disclosure.   And its hard to say how even us hockey fans will feel about standing in lines for an hour or so and bumping shoulders for three getting into, watching and leaving a live game for the next 12-18 months or so.  So yes 40% rollback is possible - maybe even probable.  Either that or the owners just close it down for next year too - why should they float it?  

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

15 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

That link doesn't seem to go anywhere but the home page... whereabouts is the interview?  I can't seem to find it headlined anywhere.

15 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

If that did happen I guess that would mean the cap recapture for Luongo would be less too. 

Still wouldn't take LE at 3.6M, he should retire or loan him to the Marlies.:P

• Huggy Bear 1

It is almost certainly going to be a mix of everything.  Just a pure rollback doesn't help everything since the cap rolls back in the same relation.  It would still mean no room for any UFA/RFA signings since there wouldn't be much money left in the system.

16 hours ago, Toews said:

The problem with Burke is he is someone who likes to hear his own voice. So I am not sure whether his speculation is well thought out and substantive or this is just his usual spitballing.

Absolutely, but he's also worked high up in the league, not just at team level, but as Executive Vice President of the NHL and Director of Hockey Operations, under Bettman. So, regardless of whether he likes to hear the sound of his own voice, he is well connected within the NHL and is hearing what this is costing the NHL.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Provost said:

That link doesn't seem to go anywhere but the home page... whereabouts is the interview?  I can't seem to find it headlined anywhere.

Found it, its still up there, not sure why its not linking, but its a picture of Bettman and the title is: Quarantine Chronicles: Brian Burke Explains The Damage Done To The NHL By COVID-19 | Tim & Sid

Edited by VegasCanuck
  • Upvote 1

The latest from places like Italy is that people can be contagious for up to 45 days. So this 14 day quarantine is far too short.

The point?  They may quarantine all the players and support staff and broadcasters who test negative (some key players or coaches may be missing) and keep all the players isolated together while they finish the season.  A 30 day quarantine is probable along with frequent testing throughout.  And they'll play somewhere where there are sufficient facilities in a local area.

I really don't see playing all over Canada and the US as per usual because of the travel and some states like Texas and Florida are listening to idiot Potus and opening up while their Covid numbers are still on the rise.

Cart before the horse here.  I'll believe finishing the season when the games actually start.  The logistics are complicated.  I don't think it's happening myself.

• Cheers 1

Just listened to the interview,  the rollback sounds like pro-rating salaries based on the number of games actually played.  This makes a lot of sense to me because players will be paid on a per game basis which is about as fair as you can get.  The salary cap for next season then, say they play 54 games.....the cap would be 54 / 82 X $85M = $56M but everybody's salary is reduced accordingly as well so it's all relative.

• Thanks 1

Burke's a pretty unique person as far as people around the league go, he's performed all sorts of roles and held various positions over his career.  He likely has insight someone who's just been a GM or president wouldn't have. I don't agree with everything he says, but I respect his insight. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, The Colt 45s said:

I am fine with us, but other concessions should be made including the elimination of the cap floor. 

Melnyk would be icing a beer league team if this happened.  The cap floor is necessary to protect fanbases from owners who couldn't care less about icing a legitimate team.