The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

US media report North Korea leader Kim Jong Un is brain dead (after surgery)

nuckin_futz

3 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Uproar yes. WWIII i don't think so. I don't think countries would want to endure that over NK. Just my humble opinion. There is more money in peace. At the end of the day it's just speculation

I hope not to WWIII. And you are right, there's more benefit to having peace than war. But you never know what desperate leaders like Xi and Abe will do (I don't under estimate Japan's ambition in this matter).

5 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

Unfortunately, it's been far from perfect. 

West Germany was perhaps even more economically powerful compared to the modern Germany even.  

The East still suffer from a brain drain with many still going to the West.  

People in Western Canada complaining about equalization.... it's even larger when it comes to East Germany.

South Korea unifying with the North.... I don't think the South can even afford it.  Plus their society are completely different.... would probably take over a century before it gets better.  Think of how much effort would it be to unite families and reconnecting with relatives.  Lots of my South Korean friends mention that they probably have relatives in the North... but that's pretty much all the info they do have.  

With Japan, many Koreans are still ingrained to dislike or even hate the Japanese.  A hard position for them for sure.  Help to much and they will be accused of Neo-colonialism.  Don't send enough help, get blamed for not doing more.  

It's going to introduce a lot of social problems and it will take a while before things get better. Yes, the re-unification is not going to be perfect but still it's the best scenario IMO. Maybe it shouldn't be Germany style, where the borders just opened up all of a sudden but something that is more gradual.

The uproar from China conquering NK and the conflicts that stem from it is going to bring way too much instability to that region. In some sense, it's going to be bring more instability to that region than it has now. South Koreans are going to want their land back, China isn't going to give it up... It's not going to end well if China takes over NK.

I don't get the sense that Koreans want help from Japan. If anything, Koreans are probably hoping that Japan doesn't use this as an opportunity to amend their constitution (article 9: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Article_9_of_the_Japanese_Constitution).

15 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Average NK citizen's quality of life most likely improves if China is ruling it.  They're both brutal dictatorships, but the Chinese leadership is at least competent.

In recent history, was there any case where one ethnic group was happy to be ruled by another ethnic group?

I highly doubt NK citizens will be happy. I get the sense that they are too proud to accept Chinese rule.

China can't even keep Uyghurs happy.

2 minutes ago, khay said:

In recent history, was there any case where one ethnic group was happy to be ruled by another ethnic group?

I highly doubt NK citizens will be happy. I get the sense that they are too proud to accept Chinese rule.

I'm not saying they'll be happy, but I don't think the West will do much to prevent it from happening.

1 hour ago, khay said:

When was the last time they were happy? ;) 

9 hours ago, khay said:

Not recent history but that was the feeling of Japan in the 1940s when they began to “expand their borders”.  They honestly felt countries like the Philippines or a Korea would prefer to be “ruled” by a “fellow Asian country” vs some “European colonial power”.  NOBODY likes to be ruled/controlled by a foreign power (forget a brutal one....let’s not forget the untold numbers of ‘comfort women’ Japan kidnapped from Korea to serve as sex slaves or what happened in Nanking).  Just because they happened to be “Asian” makes no difference.  

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, Lancaster said:

They'll go in due to "humanitarian" reasons.  

Knowing some of the media, they'll be printing lots of the CCP narratives. 

Yup. Just like they are doing in Africa. It's a peaceful invasion. China infiltrates the economy and takes control without having to fire a single round.

The best thing for all parties involved is to just let it run through its course in NK. China wants a buffer state, SK can't afford to reunify as is with NK's non economy. US possibly don't want this to trigger WW3. The only one who is licking his chops is Abe. 

Then again, we have conflicting intel and to be honest, US intel regarding NK is always dubious at times.

Edited by 24K PureCool

13 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Average NK citizen's quality of life most likely improves if China is ruling it.  They're both brutal dictatorships, but the Chinese leadership is at least competent.

They're both competent. You don't become ruler of any country if you're not competent. It's whether or not you care about the people you rule. Neither NK nor China do that.