The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Werewolf! The Awakening (Game Over - Town Wins)

Rate this topic

Ceres

3 minutes ago, hoggers said:

i get around :lol:

beck is a really chill guy. if you're giving MU the choice between the chad Beck who was a moderator, an active member of the community, and a good player vs LLD who can be way too abrasive and is less received on MU than Beck, the game itself doesn't even matter at that point.

i had a big post written for this, but it deals with way too many concepts to even begin to make sense. i have wildly different interpretations of a skillful mafia player, and so to even begin to go into why it isn't based on skill i'd have to quantify every definition that plays into it. that's a separate thread unto itself.

as a social function, the champs is a pretty good place to meet friends and have a good time. a problem i notice and ceres brought up is when people take it too seriously and begin to put too much weight into it. what's your thoughts on that?

Yeah, we should pick this up in the general discussion thread or something one time.

Re: the bolded, yeah, definitely. And it's too bad, because it's a surefire way to have a bad time. Winning is fun, advancing and being recognised is fun, but if you take it too seriously you're just going to get angry when it doesn't unfold perfectly. To me it's more of a social tournament, a way to bring mafia communities together.

• Cheers 1
1 minute ago, Master Radishes said:

Damn I hoped you wouldn't notice. :lol: We were letting the Town blunder into disaster, but then they found each other right when we weren't in the thread enough to stop them, and they realised the only people not being stupid townies were me and Okosan. Smh.

JOATs should go always go tracker/motion detector first, and then save doc roles for N3/N4 when the pool is smaller. If they're both alive, that can win the game for townies.

Haha. Yeah I started following a bit when it got interesting. 

I think you're right about the JOATs. Plus, that's likely the time when they'll be claiming, so they'll want those saves handy. 

It really looks like if you don't kill at least one JOAT early the wolf team is in big trouble. 

2 minutes ago, hoggers said:

yea i meant for this game's setup haha

Oh sorry I misunderstood what you were asking. Yeah, I be interested in your thoughts too. 

I think I'm coming around to the idea that this game is more town-sided than I initially thought. But it really depends on the competency of the JOATs and the wolves. 

Just now, Ceres said:

Haha. Yeah I started following a bit when it got interesting. 

I think you're right about the JOATs. Plus, that's likely the time when they'll be claiming, so they'll want those saves handy. 

It really looks like if you don't kill at least one JOAT early the wolf team is in big trouble. 

Probably, yeah.

That said, JOATs are not really that powerful in the early game barring blind chance. And if one goes down, the other one can only do so much.

One mistake my wolf team made was trying to quiet the thread first, rather than JOAT hunt. I think it'll be important for a scum team to look for the JOATs in N2/N3.

1 minute ago, Ceres said:

Oh sorry I misunderstood what you were asking. Yeah, I be interested in your thoughts too. 

I think I'm coming around to the idea that this game is more town-sided than I initially thought. But it really depends on the competency of the JOATs and the wolves. 

It's townsided, but Champs is wolfsided, so hopefully it balances out.

this setup was created in mind for mafiauniverse which has a significantly lower standard of play, especially in recent years. this phenomenon is due to the good players of forums migrating during the very first mafia championship and then the less adept players following suit later on. also because mafiaunivsrse is a much bigger forum, meta is less of a factor and skill variations in general are pretty extreme.

a small forum like us shows the flaws in the setup because the setup itself accounts for poor play.

1 minute ago, Master Radishes said:

It's townsided, but Champs is wolfsided, so hopefully it balances out.

Exactly. If I had to guess, I'd say we'll see decent parity in the qualifiers, with the town having more success in the semis and finals. But who knows. 

Just now, hoggers said:

is champs wolf sided? i haven't seen a setup in a while

Historically yes. But I think it's been very dependent on the type of setup they run, which changes every year. 

Just now, Ceres said:

Historically yes. But I think it's been very dependent on the type of setup they run, which changes every year. 

are the setups themselves wolf sided? i'd assume not since they'd be trying to counteract the players all being new to each other, no?

2 minutes ago, hoggers said:

are the setups themselves wolf sided? i'd assume not since they'd be trying to counteract the players all being new to each other, no?

It's the culture clash. It usually makes for very chaotic D1s and D2s that allow wolf teams to hide and take control. And it prevents towns from finding each other later because everyone's a bit paranoid about the strangers in their game.

Last year only one single game, across 14 played, was a town victory.

Edit: the setup was also wolfsided probably, which didn't help - that's why they wanted one more townsided like this

Edited by Master Radishes
Just now, hoggers said:

I'm not sure. I think they usually go for setups with expected parity over multiple games, but they become wolfsided because of what MR brings up. 

Just now, Master Radishes said:

It's the culture clash. It usually makes for very chaotic D1s and D2s that allow wolf teams to hide and take control. And it prevents towns from finding each other later because everyone's a bit paranoid about the strangers in their game.

Last year only one single game, across 14 played, was a town victory.

yea that's how it's always been iirc. people come from different corners of the mafia universe and expect the game will remain the same. should be more education on that front that playing different is ok. 

this is why playing for how people are thinking and not what they're doing is much better

• Cheers 1
2 hours ago, Master Radishes said:

One day forum Mafia will take its place in the e-sports world and thousands hundreds dozens will watch and be entertained.

The dark underbelly of the mafia world where loonies are won and lost, I am exaggerating of course but you get my point, sometimes people bet on mafia. Playing in the underground circuit takes patience. She is like a fine, well-aged prostitute... it takes years to learn her tricks... heh... she is cruel... laughs at you when you are naked... but you keep coming back for more, and more... why? Because she is the only prostitute I can afford.

• Cheers 1
  • 2 weeks later...

They ask me what I do and who I do it for
And how I come up with this $&!# up in the studio
All I want for my birthday is a big booty ho
When I die, bury me inside that Gucci store
When I die, bury me inside that Louis store

• 2 months later...