The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Top 50 Canucks of All-Time - #34

Rate this topic

-AJ-

Top 50 Canucks of All-Time - #34  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the #34 Canuck of All-Time?

• B. Horvat
    • G. Odjick
    • T. Williams
    • C. Tanev
    • G. Butcher
    • D. Rota
    • D. Babych
    • J. Hansen
    • C. Fraser
    • D. Ververgaert

This poll is closed to new votes

Courtnall had a fairly convincing victory for #33, so he was placed on at 33rd. Fraser finished first in nominations with five and Ververgaert was just behind with four, so both were added as voting options.

Reminder to both vote and nominate another player to be added as a voting option!

For those of you who haven't seen these kinds of polls before, the way they work is you vote for who you think is the greatest/top Canuck at the position. As for what is meant by "Greatest" or "Top", I will leave that to each individual. I have my own interpretations, but others may define it differently. Worth noting, that I do want to keep this to their tenures with Vancouver and as players, thus a player like Neely would only be considered for his Vancouver time and guys like Quinn and Crawford would only be considered for their playing careers, not their coaching careers.

The List:

#1 - H. Sedin

#2 - D. Sedin

#3 - T. Linden

#4 - P. Bure

#5 - M. Naslund

#6 - S. Smyl

#7 - R. Luongo

#8 - K. McLean

#9 - T. Gradin

#10 - A. Edler

-------------------

#11 - T. Bertuzzi

#12 - M. Ohlund

#13 - R. Brodeur

#14 - A. Burrows

#15 - R. Kesler

#16 - H. Snepsts

#17 - T. Tanti

#18 - A. Mogilny

#19 - J. Lumme

#20 - S. Salo

-------------------

#21 - B. Morrison

#22 - A. Boudrias

#23 - D. Lidster

#24 - K. Bieksa

#25 - C. Ronning

#26 - D. Lever

#27 - D. Kearns

#28 - E. Jovanovski

#29 - P. Sundstrom

#30 - G. Adams

-------------------

#31 - O. Kurtenbach

#32 - P. Skriko

#33 - G. Courtnall

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

I'm going with Hansen next. Horvat will likely be the popular vote but I'll take Hansen's additonal 119 games plus his 64 playoff games over Horvat's extra 40 points and 6 playoff games. I'd take him over Tiger too as his tenure of 565 games and regular season production of 235 points easily outpace Tiger's 312 games and 165 points. Only place Tiger has the advantage as a Canucks is PIMS. 

If this poll were done a season later I'd likely have picked Horvat though. 

I'll ponder my nomination. 

• Cheers 1

Voting for Darcy Rota here, but I'm expecting other folks to be slower on the wagon here, just as was the case with the nomination of Rota as a voting option.

Nominating Kevin McCarthy, the guy who I often name as the forgotten captain of the Canucks. McCarthy became captain of the Canucks in 1979 at just 22 years old and was a stud on the blue line. He scored 15 goals and 45 points in his first year and then 16 goals and 53 points in 1980-81 the year afterwards. McCarthy was injured for the entirety of the 1982 Cup Finals run and Smyl took over the leadership of the team from there, but McCarthy remained a strong defenseman in 1982-83 and halfway through 1983-84, when he was finally traded. All in all, McCarthy played about 4.5 years in Vancouver and 352 games. His 199 points in that stint is good for one of the highest points-per-games of any defenseman as a Canuck with a reasonable number of games played.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I'm going with Hansen next. Horvat will likely be the popular vote but I'll take Hansen's additonal 119 games plus his 64 playoff games over Horvat's extra 40 points and 6 playoff games. I'd take him over Tiger too as his tenure of 565 games and regular season production of 235 points easily outpace Tiger's 312 games and 165 points. Only place Tiger has the advantage as a Canucks is PIMS. 

If this poll were done a season later I'd likely have picked Horvat though. 

I'll ponder my nomination. 

I think you and I will probably be brothers in waiting for our respective votes to get serious consideration.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I think you and I will probably be brothers in waiting for our respective votes to get serious consideration.

I think you're likely right. Horvat has the shiny current captain thing going for him, but I can't in good faith take him over my boy Hansen when Hansen's tenure and body of work outweigh Horvat's extra forty points. 

Horvat's a good choice, but I think he's a season short of being a better Canuck than Hansen. 

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

I think you're likely right. Horvat has the shiny current captain thing going for him, but I can't in good faith take him over my boy Hansen when Hansen's tenure and body of work outweigh Horvat's extra forty points. 

Horvat's a good choice, but I think he's a season short of being a better Canuck than Hansen. 

I personally have them literally right beside each other in my list, with Horvat only one spot above Hansen, so I could probably go either way on the debate.

• Cheers 2

Good arguments by Coconuts and AJ.  I am still going to vote for Bo Horvat none the less.  Since day 1 he has had the weight of the world on his shoulders because of who we traded for him.  He's the kind of guy who we needed to pass the torch to.  It's not just THAT he is our captain it's WHY he is our captain.  When we drafted him, skating was touted as his weakness.  He went to work and made it one of his strengths.  EXACTLY the kind of example that a captain needs to set.  He has shown himself to be quite durable as well.  Also I'm not sure if anyone has noticed but the only currently active Canuck that has been voted in so far is Alex Edler.  I refuse to believe that the notoriously bad expansion Canuck teams of the 70's had a roster of players so good that our bulldog of a captain can't get voted in.  (that's my best effort for now haha)

I'll join in and nominate Kevin McCarthy!  I was gonna go with RIck Lanz but as long as it's one of the two! 

• Cheers 1

Voted for Captain Bo Billionz

Nominating: SOLELY based on his illustrious Canucks career... 19th ALL TIME with 566 games played... 39th all time in points with 204, +14 career, 25th in GWGs, 8th in Shorthanded goals, 17th in PIMs with 625

Our 6th round pick in the 1997 NHL Entry draft... ladies and gentleman... "Mr Cashing In"... "Mr 5.7 Seconds to go"... "Mr Pitts Wouldn't Have Won The Cup Without Me" :P

Matt Cooke on arbitration awkwardness, hoping he'd be a Canuck ...The 101 Greatest Canucks: Matt Cooke polarized his coaches as much ...

Player Matt Cooke of the Vancouver Canucks. News Photo - Getty ImagesVancouver Canucks MATT COOKE Signed Autographed 8x10 Pic C | eBay

Edited by apollo