The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL Draft to remain in June (Proposed)

Rate this topic

aGENT

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/keeping-nhl-draft-june-raises-lots-questions/

Keeping NHL Draft in June raises lots of questions

Just a couple of notes about some goings-on in the NHL:

The league proposed to teams the idea of going forward with the draft in June. On the surface I get it — the NFL Draft is an even bigger animal than normal because of the sports vacuum created by COVID-19. It would keep the NHL relevant, give everyone something to talk about and mean not squeezing it through a short off-season.

Another reason for doing it is contracts end on June 30, and there are many scouts/executives working the draft who currently would not be on-contract for a later-summer event. One team apparently has 18 expiring deals.

However, there are some questions that would need to be answered:

• What do you do with conditional picks based on where teams finish in the playoffs — or if they make the playoffs at all?

• How do you deal with players who would be able to start next season elsewhere if the 2020-21 NHL start is delayed until later in the year? That could include CHL/NCAA/European players — although their situations are unclear as of now. Would those players be removed from their teams and be given the opportunity to join NHL camps?

• Teams who know they are going to the playoffs will be unable to trade players they want to use for draft picks.

• Because of the possibility of expanded playoffs, someone asked if one team actually could win the lottery and then the Stanley Cup.

Obviously, all of these things would have to be fleshed out if a June draft was to happen.

The obvious repercussions of this for the Canucks, is that it would nix our ability to potentially move players like Stecher at the draft.

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/keeping-nhl-draft-june-raises-lots-questions/

The obvious repercussions of this for the Canucks, is that it would nix our ability to potentially move players like Stecher at the draft.

I don't get why trades are a problem for the playoffs, we're already past the TDL. If the draft and playoffs overlap just follow the old rules, you can still make a trade you just can't suit up a player.

I think the bigger issue - and probably the one that happens since it screws us - is just ending the season and having the draft. We probably technically make the non-playoffs based on point share. But that may not be the worst thing either, this years scouting is toast, so there might be a lot of bad picks or guys that drop to later rounds that are actually quality players. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I don't get why trades are a problem for the playoffs, we're already past the TDL. If the draft and playoffs overlap just follow the old rules, you can still make a trade you just can't suit up a player.

I think the bigger issue - and probably the one that happens since it screws us - is just ending the season and having the draft. We probably technically make the non-playoffs based on point share. But that may not be the worst thing either, this years scouting is toast, so there might be a lot of bad picks or guys that drop to later rounds that are actually quality players. 

Trades are a problem because if the playoffs are actually played until after the draft, teams won't be able to trade players (like Stecher) ahead of the draft and still have them play for them for the end of the regular season/in the playoffs, as under normal circumstances.

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Trades are a problem because if the playoffs are actually played until after the draft, teams won't be able to trade players (like Stecher) ahead of the draft and still have them play for them for the end of the regular season/in the playoffs, as under normal circumstances.

ah, I get it. Well, I can't see them running the draft until after the playoffs then. If there's no playoffs, at least there will be a virtual draft fwiw. 

I can't see Stecher being moved as a draft day piece, I mean what would he get? I love his heart but no ones going to pay for his rights. 

13 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

ah, I get it. Well, I can't see them running the draft until after the playoffs then. If there's no playoffs, at least there will be a virtual draft fwiw. 

I can't see Stecher being moved as a draft day piece, I mean what would he get? I love his heart but no ones going to pay for his rights. 

I think you could probably get a late 2nd/early 3rd +/-for him or perhaps have him as part of a larger package.

12 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

How are people thinking that Stecher's tradeability is the biggest issue here? The biggest issue is whether we keep or not the Miller pick if they have the draft before the playoffs.

My first thought here.

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

I think you could probably get a late 2nd/early 3rd +/-for him or perhaps have him as part of a larger package.

man a 2nd would be awesome. I think good players are going to be all over the 2nd round due to the cut off in scouting this year. Some gems will emerge I bet. 

1 hour ago, Where's Wellwood said:

How are people thinking that Stecher's tradeability is the biggest issue here? The biggest issue is whether we keep or not the Miller pick if they have the draft before the playoffs.

That is also an issue, yes.

1 hour ago, Where's Wellwood said:

not sure this is so. We lose it this year or next, don't really see that much of a difference. It might be better to lose it this year. 

50 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

Players that would be UFA's on July 1st won't play playoff games without a new contract. Why would they take the injury risk? Just can't see us having playoffs this year.

why not? they do it every year. There's lots of UFAs heading into every playoff run. 

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

why not? they do it every year. There's lots of UFAs heading into every playoff run. 

They are under contract until July 1st each year so they are covered for the playoffs. If they play playoffs beyond July 1st this year then those players would be playing without a contract and, in my opinion, would not risk injury by playing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

not sure this is so. We lose it this year or next, don't really see that much of a difference. It might be better to lose it this year. 

We're supposed to lose it this year or next, but if the condition isn't met because there is no playoffs, do we lose it or not?

Let's say that the draft is in June and they determine that because there was no playoffs (at that point), we can't have qualified for what doesn't exist, so we keep the pick. But then the playoffs are completed in August and we qualify. We risk giving up the 2021 pick when we'll be in a cap crunch, and will probably be a less deep team next year. 

I'd be okay with shifting the terms of the trade from (2020 or 2021) to (2021 or 2022) since this year is so &^@#ed. Of course, that would have to happen to every playoff conditional pick and teams would never agree.

1 minute ago, Rick Blight said:

They are under contract until July 1st each year so they are covered for the playoffs. If they play playoffs beyond July 1st this year then those players would be playing without a contract and, in my opinion, would not risk injury by playing.

it would be pretty easy to extend the contracts tho. I can't see the NHLPA standing in the way of that. 

• Thanks 2

Just now, Where's Wellwood said:

We're supposed to lose it this year or next, but if the condition isn't met because there is no playoffs, do we lose it or not?

Let's say that the draft is in June and they determine that because there was no playoffs (at that point), we can't have qualified for what doesn't exist, so we keep the pick. But then the playoffs are completed in August and we qualify. We risk giving up the 2021 pick when we'll be in a cap crunch, and will probably be a less deep team next year. 

I'd be okay with shifting the terms of the trade from (2020 or 2021) to (2021 or 2022) since this year is so &^@#ed. Of course, that would have to happen to every playoff conditional pick and teams would never agree.

I think we know the answer to that, it would almost certainly be point share if there are no more regular season games. So we'd lose it. 

Even if we kept this years pick the chance of him becoming a player is remote, I don't see a cap effect. 

6 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

As Jimmy pointed out, assuming a no fans in attendance finish to the season and playoffs in July/August, the players will simply extend their contacts to whatever the new dates are.

The logistics on how that relates to the draft and free agency etc though are a bit of a nightmare.

Edited by aGENT

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

it would be pretty easy to extend the contracts tho. I can't see the NHLPA standing in the way of that. 

As a player, why would I do this? I would be looking to get a new contract with term right on July 1st with a new team.....wouldn't you?