The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kesler, Lucic, Twitter and 2011.

Rate this topic

CanadianRugby

I wonder if we never lost Bourdon, he would have been 24 in 2011. And drafting Tyler Myers, or hell even Travis Hamonic in 2008. 

Gillis wouldn't have had to keep trading to get more defensemen.

Bottom line our drafting and development was an Achilles heel. 

Myers and Bourdon, would have put us on more of an even footing with Boston. Reducing the quality shooting chances against us.

In addition maybe Myers would have given us a bit of pushback. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Where's Wellwood said:

I don't respect Patrice Bergeron for his hypocrisy. No way a guy who played with a hole in his lung (in 2013, I believe) should get as bothered as he did by Burrows' bite. The bite was on his glove and he shows his ungloved finger to the ref as if there would be teeth marks to see. Come on! 

&^@# Bergeron for that.

That whole team was garbage.  Even if Burrows did bite his glove, what was he doing shoving it in his mouth during a scrum?

• Vintage 1

On 4/24/2020 at 9:56 AM, brownky said:

Remember when everybody and their dog wanted Lucic here in 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018?

Pepperidge farm remembers.

I hope the Bruins players' are appreciative of the cup Jacobs influence combined with the NHL hatchet-job refereeing brought them.

I just hope the next time we make the finals it isn't against an original 6 team with a crazy cup drought.

Except Toronto. I'd love to beat the Leafs. But they'll never make the finals, so we don't have to cross that bridge.

I never wanted him in any of those years. Feel like I am apart of “everybody and their dog”. I never wanted the guy at any point of his time in the NHL. Guy is a roided out meatball missing some screws. So if Pepperidge farm remembers all of us wanting this guy it may be just as lost as nutshot Lucic.  

Edited by N7Nucks
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

19 hours ago, ruilin96 said:

I was not one of them. I hated Lucic everywhere he played. Classless, goon and just trash person overall. And I know his play will decline and I am glad he is strangling the Flames cap space right now.

Note: I did say I wasn't oppose to bring in Lucic at $1 million per year if the Flames bought him out a few days ago, but now, I completely made up my mind that I don't want Lucic anywhere near the Canucks lockerroom.

So you were one of the people that wanted nothing to do with Lucic in Canuck locker room no matter what - but then it would be ok if he was making close to the league minimum - but hate him .... which one is it?   

Personally this whole thing is no big deal - if that was the Sedins and Kesler and Bieksa watching their cup victory instead and one of them made a comment about Lucic would be talking about it at all?   The only problem I've ever had with Lucic is like most bullies - when found in an situation where they are in over their head they fold quickly and tend to stay away from bigger or even same size guys.   Early in his career (when some bad ass enforcers still existed) he was dropping the gloves and making mince meat out of non-or just very infrequent fighters until one day he dropped them and started to get beat and kept asking the linesman to come in and break it up. What a big baby.   Prout is maybe his steepest competition - big deal.   McGratton...or Orr  .. .. didn't have the balls to fight those guys when they were still around and the few times he did he turtled like a baby.  Don't mind intimidation in hockey but have a big distaste for bullies in general and he sure acts like one at times.    Sucks we lost to these guys, we were the best team in league history not to win a cup.  Drawing Thomas instead of TB was truly some bad luck on our part.

4 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I wonder if we never lost Bourdon, he would have been 24 in 2011. And drafting Tyler Myers, or hell even Travis Hamonic in 2008. 

Myers and Bourdon, would have put us on more of an even footing with Boston. Reducing the quality shooting chances against us.

Even the recent crop of Canuck fans who grew up watching the WCE and or Sedin teams have had their fair share of heartbreak and "Canuck Luck"..   These things were bad.  So was MG decision not to re-sign Mitchell - and instead trade away a first and some players for Ballard - who ended up sitting or playing as our 7th defenseman - paid more then 4 million and ended up getting bought out...Mitchell went on to play a key role and win in LA - we had to play AGAINST him...if we kept him there is your pushback, and there is the premium defensive defenseman that we lacked in 2011.   Personally with our injuries to the blueline I believe that would have been enough to win.  And probably that managements biggest failure.

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Hmmm... that's taking it a little too far.  Of course there is.  We lost - it sucks - but we don't have to be sore losers forever do we?

Bergeron is a class act.  Rask is fine, Chara as well.

Dr. Mark Recchi...he was a dick to us, but in general the guy needs to be respected.  I think his career was considered over and he was considered washed up more times than Gary Roberts, and he just kept coming back and winning Cups.  And getting Lady Byng votes as well.  If he hadn't been a prick to my preferred team, I doubt I would have anything critical to say about him really.  Plus the guy studied medicine at Harvard, and you have to respect that.

54 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Bergeron is a class act.  Rask is fine, Chara as well.

Dr. Mark Recchi...he was a dick to us, but in general the guy needs to be respected.  I think his career was considered over and he was considered washed up more times than Gary Roberts, and he just kept coming back and winning Cups.  And getting Lady Byng votes as well.  If he hadn't been a prick to my preferred team, I doubt I would have anything critical to say about him really.  Plus the guy studied medicine at Harvard, and you have to respect that.

I get the Marchand hate - he agitated the fan base as much as our team.  Thomas vs Luongo and pumping tires was a little shameful too.   And losing to them wasn't fun.  Roberts running McLean over and over again wasn't fun either - but they got theirs and I respect him and his career given he was a great opponent.   We didn't lose to a bunch of chumps...we lost because we couldn't score against the most dominant goaltending performance since Roy in 93, the fact we got to game 7 with around the same number of goals scored is pretty remarkable.  1-0 win...another shutout.  Luongo did enough to keep us in it, we just couldn't finish them off.   Recchi .... don't hold any ill will against him either.   Chara - who wouldn't want him on their team.  Bergeron too.  Hate to say it but Marchand too - he's one of a few guys that past 20 years to manage 100 points.  If we could trade players from either team and make the best one from 2011, only the Sedins, Kelser, Burrows, Bieksa, Hamhuis, and maybe a couple others would be safe.  They did go back to the final - and somehow have remained a contender for the better part of the last decade.  Rask, Pastrnak, Debrusk, McAvoy, Krug, - Hamilton and Seguin possibly too...they certainly know how to draft well.   Don't envy them - but do respect them.   

Thankfully JB has also drafted well and looks like three consecutive years we will have Calder winners or runners up.  Plus a good amount of support players in the system and two guys that have a good shot at top six careers with us.   Nothing would make me happier then a re-match, Boston still has 2-3 years left in their cycle .... right around where our prime will start.  

7 hours ago, IBatch said:

Thomas vs Luongo and pumping tires was a little shameful too.  

Of all the players on that 2011 team, I loathe Tim Thomas the most.  The guy was an arrogant prick the entire playoffs and we all had to watch the media laughably try to portray him as some kind of down-to-earth every-man while urinating on Luongo for a comment that was 100% accurate. 

jfifl8V.gif

Fawning all over this smug goof, comparing him to Battlin' Billy Smith, while he consistently got away with murder.  Seeing him lift the Smythe and Cup in our building still makes my blood boil. 

Edited by morgo

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

I get the Marchand hate - he agitated the fan base as much as our team.  Thomas vs Luongo and pumping tires was a little shameful too.   And losing to them wasn't fun.  Roberts running McLean over and over again wasn't fun either - but they got theirs and I respect him and his career given he was a great opponent.   We didn't lose to a bunch of chumps...we lost because we couldn't score against the most dominant goaltending performance since Roy in 93, the fact we got to game 7 with around the same number of goals scored is pretty remarkable.  1-0 win...another shutout.  Luongo did enough to keep us in it, we just couldn't finish them off.   Recchi .... don't hold any ill will against him either.   Chara - who wouldn't want him on their team.  Bergeron too.  Hate to say it but Marchand too - he's one of a few guys that past 20 years to manage 100 points.  If we could trade players from either team and make the best one from 2011, only the Sedins, Kelser, Burrows, Bieksa, Hamhuis, and maybe a couple others would be safe.  They did go back to the final - and somehow have remained a contender for the better part of the last decade.  Rask, Pastrnak, Debrusk, McAvoy, Krug, - Hamilton and Seguin possibly too...they certainly know how to draft well.   Don't envy them - but do respect them.   

Thankfully JB has also drafted well and looks like three consecutive years we will have Calder winners or runners up.  Plus a good amount of support players in the system and two guys that have a good shot at top six careers with us.   Nothing would make me happier then a re-match, Boston still has 2-3 years left in their cycle .... right around where our prime will start.  

I don't think any one is questioning the Bruins players skills or abilities. What this revolves around is there character and inter social skills. Many were chumps who gloated rather than be good sports. Bergeron managed to combine both characteristics, good guy and good player, you can tip your hat to a guy like that, I suspect Krejci too. Marchand I wouldn't break bread with the man, ditto Lucic 

Edited by Fred65

2 hours ago, Fred65 said:

I don't think any one is questioning the Bruins players skills or abilities. What this revolves around is there character and inter social skills. Many were chumps who gloated rather than be good sports. Bergeron managed to combine both characteristics, good guy and good player, you can tip your hat to a guy like that, I suspect Krejci too. Marchand I wouldn't break bread with the man, ditto Lucic 

Bergeron isn't a good guy for the reasons @Where's Wellwood already explained.  Absolutely gutless crybaby and the epitome of the complete lack of class and endless hypocrisy from that organization.  Disgraceful conduct both on and off the ice

Edited by King Heffy
  • Thanks 1

On April 24, 2020 at 9:19 AM, ruilin96 said:

&^@# Lucic, this guy would throw death threats at a player at the end of a series loss during the handshakes because he was butthurt and a sore loser. Hope his career rots in Calgary while eating up their cap space as plug.

His career has been for a few years now. He is basically irrelevant.

16 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

nah....only thing that Gillis should have done was resign Willy Mitchell, but he didn't and when Hamhuis went down in Game 1, Willy wasn't there to bail them out. Keep in mind, after, Willy won two cups playing in LA and he even took a whole year off because that is what he was asking Gillis for....time off.

Willy said he could give 110% for 68 games, but needed games off to get rest (14 games off). Gillis didn't like the thought of that so he let him walk...Willy proved him wrong.

6 minutes ago, Pete M said:

nah....only thing that Gillis should have done was resign Willy Mitchell, but he didn't and when Hamhuis went down in Game 1, Willy wasn't there to bail them out. Keep in mind, after, Willy won two cups playing in LA and he even took a whole year off because that is what he was asking Gillis for....time off.

Willy said he could give 110% for 68 games, but needed games off to get rest (14 games off). Gillis didn't like the thought of that so he let him walk...Willy proved him wrong.

Mitchell signing with LA was another body blow. The guy was a leader on the team. Yes it would have been a gamble on the salary, but it wasn't outrageous. The only issue was the concussion. I always felt it was worth the risk. LA certainly didn't have any qualms about it. :( If we lost him because LA offered more term, that would have been a different thing. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Mitchell signing with LA was another body blow. The guy was a leader on the team. Yes it would have been a gamble on the salary, but it wasn't outrageous. The only issue was the concussion. I always felt it was worth the risk. LA certainly didn't have any qualms about it. :( If we lost him because LA offered more term, that would have been a different thing. 

totally agree.

15 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

I never wanted him in any of those years. Feel like I am apart of “everybody and their dog”. I never wanted the guy at any point of his time in the NHL. Guy is a roided out meatball missing some screws. So if Pepperidge farm remembers all of us wanting this guy it may be just us lost as nutshot Lucic.  

We were definitely in the minority. Funny how those vocal people about "SIGN HIM" then " TRADE ACTUAL ASSETS FOR HIM " have all gone rather mum about it.

Berg is a class act and one of my favorite players. Chara I am fine with but he has had to back up goofs like Lucic and Marchand, he also tends to make the stupid play(crosscheck to Gallagher's face) when he lets his emotions get the better of him. Can't deny he's a great leader.

Majority of everyone else I despise.

3 hours ago, morgo said:

Add in all the diving that flopper does, and Boston should be ashamed of themselves to put a dirtbag like him in a leadership capacity.  He's absolute scum and should have been thrown in prison for assaulting Patches.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Cheers 1