The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Top 50 Canucks of All-Time - #38

Rate this topic

-AJ-

Top 50 Canucks of All-Time - #38  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the #38 Canuck of All-Time?

• D. Rota
    • J. Hansen
    • C. Tanev
    • G. Butcher
    • C. Fraser
    • D. Ververgaert
    • G. Smith
    • K. McCarthy
    • R. Lanz
    • I. Larionov

This poll is closed to new votes

6 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Wow neck and neck again.   Threw my hat in with Rota given it’s another one of those one’s and it looks like Hansen is about to make the top 30-40...which is ok I guess - a little early but not over the top (but CDC is sleeping on Lanz and McCarthy a little)...Curiously Tanev is likely the next up too...before one Murzyn nomination...

If Oddleifson finally gets taken care of, my next nomination is either Sedlbauer or Murzyn.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

18 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Better late than never

image.thumb.png.ec3989bb459ba510ba7a3cc3d6e8c97b.png

Now tied with Darcy Rota...

Does longevity not mean anything to people? Drafted 9th round! Over a decade with our organization...

Jannik wasn't a fighter but he was the EPITOME of what it meant to be a Canuck.. watch him stand up for Daniel here... STUD!

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

Tanev

nominate: Hansen

Frankly some of those names I just haven't watched them play, so I'm not going to judge them based on whatever YouTube clips I can find.

But one player I have not seen mentioned is Ehrhoff.  He's not chopped liver either.  I'd have put him above Jovanovski.  Only 2 seasons though, if that's a factor, but putting up 44 and 50 points respectively, and doing it with a +36 and +19.  If you are rating them based on the time here, he's got to be a choice at some point.

10 minutes ago, apollo said:

Now tied with Darcy Rota...

Does longevity not mean anything to people? Drafted 9th round! Over a decade with our organization...

Jannik wasn't a fighter but he was the EPITOME of what it meant to be a Canuck.. watch him stand up for Daniel here... STUD!

Hansen played a long time with us that is for sure...but Butcher play more games and has barely registered and he was one of the leagues better defensive defenseman - top four D for a decade ... just look at the haul Quin managed - that is how respected he was at the time.   And if we want to get into great middle six players then where are the Momesso votes ?  Should a forward who averaged 25ish points a season really be in the top 40 ahead of Lanz, Captain McCarthy, Oddliefson, Butcher etc?  Probably not... and there are decent arguments for both The “House” (500 more PIMs in 50ish less games)  and Momesso given their intangibles and time served.   Hansen is great enough for the top 50 - but really shouldn’t be a front runner on the list of guys available to vote now - maybe for new nominations...still would be like putting him before Horvat given his best all-time comparable is just getting steam in Oddliefson- two-way forward that also put up points. 

• Vintage 1

47 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Tanev

nominate: Hansen

Frankly some of those names I just haven't watched them play, so I'm not going to judge them based on whatever YouTube clips I can find.

But one player I have not seen mentioned is Ehrhoff.  He's not chopped liver either.  I'd have put him above Jovanovski.  Only 2 seasons though, if that's a factor, but putting up 44 and 50 points respectively, and doing it with a +36 and +19.  If you are rating them based on the time here, he's got to be a choice at some point.

Wonder what Jovo could have done near the end of his career playing with Luongo instead of Cloutier behind him...sorry Erhoff wasn’t a better defenseman ... one is top 50 all time in goals and top 70 for points and played mostly on bad teams - the other had a few good years and then dissappeared.   Can’t pick Erhoff before Reinhart either ..  or Tallon for that matter - or EP... maybe Brown.  Hamhuis would be a solid nomination at this point though ... recommend doing some research-check hockey historians - they do a good job of comparing eras and also do rankings. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Hansen played a long time with us that is for sure...but Butcher play more games and has barely registered and he was one of the leagues better defensive defenseman - top four D for a decade ... just look at the haul Quin managed - that is how respected he was at the time.   And if we want to get into great middle six players then where are the Momesso votes ?  Should a forward who averaged 25ish points a season really be in the top 40 ahead of Lanz, Captain McCarthy, Oddliefson, Butcher etc?  Probably not... and there are decent arguments for both The “House” (500 more PIMs in 50ish less games)  and Momesso given their intangibles and time served.   Hansen is great enough for the top 50 - but really shouldn’t be a front runner on the list of guys available to vote now - maybe for new nominations...still would be like putting him before Horvat given his best all-time comparable is just getting steam in Oddliefson- two-way forward that also put up points. 

Butcher actually played fewer games as a Canuck. He played 610 regular season games to Hansen's 565, but Hansen had 64 playoff games as a Canuck compared to Butcher's 14. Hansen actually edges Butcher with 629 vs 624 and I'd argue those playoff games carry more weight as Hansen was an important part of our penalty kill and defensive game during the playoffs. Butcher has far more PIMS, but he was also a different kind of player playing during a far more aggressive time. Hansen's production of 235 edges Butcher's 140 as a Canuck. Middle six forward vs defensive D, which you value more is up to you. 

As for Momesso, if you're looking at middle six guys Hansen's got the edge in both games played and production. It's also unfair to speak of Momesso's intangibles and discount Hansen's. Momesso played a total of 335 games to Hansen's 629. Momesso has solid production for the amount of time he spent as a Canuck, and he certainly had more PIMS, but that doesn't overcome Hansen's tenure combined with his own production and intangibles. I doubt all of those PIMS were good PIMS either, same goes for Hansen. 

And why not? He played more games and had similar production to Oddleifson, I touched on Butcher, Lanz played even fewer games as a Canuck than Oddleifson. These players had their own intangibles, production, ect. They all had more PIMS too, but then there's  the question of how many of those were good PIMS vs bad PIMS? It's hard to tell. There's absolutely an argument for Hansen going in ahead of these guys.

Personally, tenure goes a long way for me which is why I had him ahead of Horvat. Horvat's about one season shy of being a greater Canuck than Hansen in my eyes and I argued that a couple topics back. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, IBatch said:

Unfortunately your leaving out his career playoff percentage of .872 - which for any goalie with 25 or more games played is with worst in the 21st century (going back to the 50’s anyways which is as far back as historians have gone for that sort of thing) - by a huge margin.  

The rules say I can use whatever criteria I want.  ::D

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Butcher actually played fewer games as a Canuck. He played 610 regular season games to Hansen's 565, but Hansen had 64 playoff games as a Canuck compared to Butcher's 14. Hansen actually edges Butcher with 629 vs 624 and I'd argue those playoff games carry more weight as Hansen was an important part of our penalty kill and defensive game during the playoffs. Butcher has far more PIMS, but he was also a different kind of player playing during a far more aggressive time. Hansen's production of 235 edges Butcher's 140 as a Canuck. Middle six forward vs defensive D, which you value more is up to you. 

As for Momesso, if you're looking at middle six guys Hansen's got the edge in both games played and production. It's also unfair to speak of Momesso's intangibles and discount Hansen's. Momesso played a total of 335 games to Hansen's 629. Momesso has solid production for the amount of time he spent as a Canuck, and he certainly had more PIMS, but that doesn't overcome Hansen's tenure combined with his own production and intangibles. I doubt all of those PIMS were good PIMS either, same goes for Hansen. 

And why not? He played more games and had similar production to Oddleifson, I touched on Butcher, Lanz played even fewer games as a Canuck than Oddleifson. These players had their own intangibles, production, ect. They all had more PIMS too, but then there's  the question of how many of those were good PIMS vs bad PIMS? It's hard to tell. There's absolutely an argument for Hansen going in ahead of these guys.

Personally, tenure goes a long way for me which is why I had him ahead of Horvat. Horvat's about one season shy of being a greater Canuck than Hansen in my eyes and I argued that a couple topics back. 

Good points. I never ended up nominating Hansen, as he got in before I had a chance to, but I do agree that he is being a bit underrated. I think all of us are prone to seeing times closer to the starts of our yeas as fans with rose-coloured glasses, whether that's the 70s or 2010s. I would look forward to voting for Hansen, but I think by the time I get a few other guys I want in first, I think he'll already be on the list.

• Cheers 1

• -AJ- locked this topic