The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Top 50 Monkey Business of All-Time - #39A

Rate this topic

Kevin Biestra

Top Monkey Business Canuck of All Time?  

38 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, zimmy said:

Vladimir - pass me another hotdog - Krutov? If that performance wasn’t the epitome of monkey business then I don’t know monkey business. Or did he accomplish too much to be considered?

Man, the Krutov thing was just weird.  He didn't like totally suck - he was as good as the Sedins at the start of their careers - but I think all he had to do was be maybe a 60 point player in the NHL to get into the Hall of Fame.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, crobar said:

Watching Garrett play in that XXXXXL jersey or whatever the hell size it was monkey to me.

Heh, Garrett was a little dude but he was actually a heck of a goalie.  Got the Nordiques to the Stanley Cup semifinal in 1982 when Dan Bouchard was injured.  And over .500 as a Canuck for his career.  And one of the all time greats of the WHA.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Man, the Krutov thing was just weird.  He didn't like totally suck - he was as good as the Sedins at the start of their careers - but I think all he had to do was be maybe a 60 point player in the NHL to get into the Hall of Fame.

He was such a force with the Red Army. Thick, low center of gravity, a load and a finisher. But once the shackles were off he seemed to have no self control. I remember seeing footage of him at training camp, fat red face, sweating, out of breath and I was amazed (and kinda let down) that a single morning session at an NHL camp could fatigue him so.

He has a uncontested spot on my all time disappointment team.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, zimmy said:

He was such a force with the Red Army. Thick, low center of gravity, a load and a finisher. But once the shackles were off he seemed to have no self control. I remember seeing footage of him at training camp, fat red face, sweating, out of breath and I was amazed (and kinda let down) that a single morning session at an NHL camp could fatigue him so.

He has a uncontested spot on my all time disappointment team.

Yeah, it should have been fantastic.  Sudden bonus addition of 2/3 of the KLM line.  Imagine if in 1994 we had the team we had plus an effective Krutov and Larionov still.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Yeah, it should have been fantastic.  Sudden bonus addition of 2/3 of the KLM line.  Imagine if in 1994 we had the team we had plus an effective Krutov and Larionov still.

I would have been happy with just a 94 Larionov! Simply replace a John McIntyre (who played all 24 playoff games) with Iggy, drop Nathan LaFayette to the fourth line ( nothing against Nathan LaFayette!) and I think we win that thing! 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

I voted for Patrick White, possibly our biggest 1st round bust of all time (but Mike Gillis does get big kudos for somehow turning him into Christian Erhoff), and nominate Lars Zetterstrom, the largely unknown and much less successful half of the great "Lars & Lars" signing of the late '70s.  

Did you forget about Herter from the Quinn era, drafted top ten... pp qb on defence etc! Top 10 pick... ugh i still remember listening to the Dan Russel show interviewing someone at the time and they were going on about how good he was. Sigh...

• Cheers 1

On 4/29/2020 at 2:16 AM, the grinder said:

what no mark messier ?   the head ape for monkey business 

One could say even though he played 2/3 of his contract a lot of nights he just skated in long ovals slow then really fast (for no apparent reason other then to show fans that he still had it ha ha) and didn’t do much.  How a guy goes from two great previous seasons - who was still considered a star (48 goals or something 85/95 ish points?) already legendary etc - on a team with Mogilny Bure, Gélinas and Naslund, plus the majority of the 94 squad screw things up so royally?  Mind boggling.  Make him our second line center - give him the A and a different number (Maki) be a little humble - encourage management to sign Bure - and how could that team not kill it?  Instead he ... well killed it totally.  Even with the haul we got from Linden I would have much preferred he stayed and the above is what occurred.  In some multiverse we had a dynasty in the late 90’s.  COL and Detroit would be chasing our coattails with that lineup fully healthy. 

• Vintage 1

Biestra you should make another list with the greatest fighter all-time (both enforcers and players)... as long as they played for us it doesn’t matter how many fights as long as they did fight.   And their entire career is ok to consider not just with us although that weighting matters too.   Brashear, Fraser, Keane, Odjick, Williams, Coxe...on Coxe two of his fights against Probert are ranked as the best fights ever (10 out of 10) on hockeyfights.com - including Probert’s very first fight ever that went on and on both guys landing great shots - Coxe had the upper hand 3/4 into the fight and seemed to have stunned Probert - but he came back and won the fight with a huge right hand at the end.  Crowder was one of Proberts top competition (according to him in his own book) and made mince meat out of everyone when he came into the league until a fight with Berube (fasted hands ever for a heavyweight)  decisioned him.. so Crowder would have to make the list too.   Langdon.  Monkey business AND best fighters combined ha ha.   Diduck was pretty good too - when he fought.   Momesso.  Hunter (although he was better before coming to Vancouver)..Antoski (huge and our answer to McCarthy in CAL for a little while at least).    Of course Rypien.  Walker was just as good IMO for a middleweight - rarely lost and beat the tar out of Petit (another decent fighter for us but big size difference) and his quality of competition was stiffer.   Bieksa...only Brashear has a winning percentage as good as him but huge difference in combatants.   Lost 3 of around 30 fights for us ... Brashear around the same with around 80...plus was the fighter of the year several times ... and had that many fights the year he broke Gino’s record and didn’t lost one fight wow.   Delmore. Butcher.  Neely.  We’ve had some crazy tough teams over the years.  Jovo.  Dorsett had a huge heart but couldn’t hold any of these guys jockstrap when the gloves came off. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

On 4/28/2020 at 11:16 PM, the grinder said:

what no mark messier ?   the head ape for monkey business 

I have to keep the poll interesting.  That would be like throwing Andre the Giant into a Battle Royale with 31 Gary Colemans.

Messier the Chimp got paid $6M a year to poop in his hands at center ice and throw it at his own team.

Edited by Kevin Biestra

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Even with the haul we got from Linden I would have much preferred he stayed and the above is what occurred.  In some multiverse we had a dynasty in the late 90’s.  COL and Detroit would be chasing our coattails with that lineup fully healthy. 

Same here.  They didn't have the nickels and dimes to re-sign Ronning and Murray Craven, etc.  So hamstrung for food stamps to pay these guys and then... $6M a year for Messier!  What a great time for the money fairy to show up!

Edited by Kevin Biestra

1 hour ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I have to keep the poll interesting.  That would be like throwing Andre the Giant into a Battle Royale with 31 Gary Colemans.

Messier the Chimp got paid $6M a year to poop in his hands at center ice and throw it at his own team.

6 m back then is like paying him 12 mil a year now for a Eriksson type effort   ( tho loui the last 20 games has actually put forth some compete level)

Just now, the grinder said:

6 m back then is like paying him 12 mil a year now for a Eriksson type effort   ( tho loui the last 20 games has actually put forth some compete level)

Messier made Eriksson look like Burrows.  I swear I've never seen another player literally trudge around the ice shift after shift as if his Mom forced him out the door with his backpack when he wanted to stay home from school.

7 hours ago, IBatch said:

Biestra you should make another list with the greatest fighter all-time (both enforcers and players)... as long as they played for us it doesn’t matter how many fights as long as they did fight.   And their entire career is ok to consider not just with us although that weighting matters too.   Brashear, Fraser, Keane, Odjick, Williams, Coxe...on Coxe two of his fights against Probert are ranked as the best fights ever (10 out of 10) on hockeyfights.com - including Probert’s very first fight ever that went on and on both guys landing great shots - Coxe had the upper hand 3/4 into the fight and seemed to have stunned Probert - but he came back and won the fight with a huge right hand at the end.  Crowder was one of Proberts top competition (according to him in his own book) and made mince meat out of everyone when he came into the league until a fight with Berube (fasted hands ever for a heavyweight)  decisioned him.. so Crowder would have to make the list too.   Langdon.  Monkey business AND best fighters combined ha ha.   Diduck was pretty good too - when he fought.   Momesso.  Hunter (although he was better before coming to Vancouver)..Antoski (huge and our answer to McCarthy in CAL for a little while at least).    Of course Rypien.  Walker was just as good IMO for a middleweight - rarely lost and beat the tar out of Petit (another decent fighter for us but big size difference) and his quality of competition was stiffer.   Bieksa...only Brashear has a winning percentage as good as him but huge difference in combatants.   Lost 3 of around 30 fights for us ... Brashear around the same with around 80...plus was the fighter of the year several times ... and had that many fights the year he broke Gino’s record and didn’t lost one fight wow.   Delmore. Butcher.  Neely.  We’ve had some crazy tough teams over the years.  Jovo.  Dorsett had a huge heart but couldn’t hold any of these guys jockstrap when the gloves came off. 

Kurtenback. Old school. Feared. Legend. 

(at least this what my elders have told me and what I’ve read)