The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Best series I ever watched.

Rate this topic

canuckledraggin

Canucks / Flames in 1989

Canucks / Flames in 1994

Canucks / Rangers in 1994

It's a pretty close race between those three in my opinion.

Canucks / Blackhawks in 2011 had a lot of drama and turned out the right way, but after game 3 it was like, jeez WTF are you guys doing?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

Canucks / Jets in 1992 and Canucks / Blues in 2003 were good ones too, especially the 1992 one.

The great comeback from down 3-1 in 2003 round 1 was kind of quickly soured by the Canucks themselves blowing a 3-1 lead in the very next round.

If stepping away from the Canucks, Nordiques / Bruins in 1982 Round 2 is pretty underrated.  Seven games and backup John Garrett coming in and winning most of the series for Quebec.

Flyers / Oilers in the 1987 Cup Final was a good one.

Los Angeles / Toronto in the 1993 Semifinal.

Edmonton / Calgary in the 1986 Smythe Final.

A real classic was Edmonton / LA in the first round in 1982, including the Miracle on Manchester.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

It will be hard not to pick one of the Colorado, Detroit or New Jersey ones from those teams’ several dominant runs. 

Though they weren’t long series, LA absolutely steamrolled their way to their first cup. What did they go, 16-3 or something? It was fun to watch that runaway train. 

31 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

Feel free to add you're favorite thoughts and videos of this or other games.

I really enjoyed watching them destroy the Laffs in the conference final 4 - 1. Hated the Leafs then too. And how screwed up were the conferences when the VANCOUVER team beats the TORONTO team in the WESTERN CONFERENCE final?

2 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

It will be hard not to pick one of the Colorado, Detroit or New Jersey ones from those teams’ several dominant runs. 

Though they weren’t long series, LA absolutely steamrolled their way to their first cup. What did they go, 16-3 or something? It was fun to watch that runaway train. 

I was just like no, no, I don't want these guys to win a Cup before us.  Now it's them and St. Louis and Washington.

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Canucks / Flames in 1989

Canucks / Flames in 1994

Canucks / Rangers in 1994

It's a pretty close race between those three in my opinion.

Canucks / Blackhawks in 2011 had a lot of drama and turned out the right way, but after game 3 it was like, jeez WTF are you guys doing?

Canucks Hawks 2011 was awful.

I mean great we won but a series that goes 3-0 to 3-3 is generally bad with absolute blowouts in games 4 and 5.

3 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Canucks / Jets in 1992 and Canucks / Blues in 2003 were good ones too, especially the 1992 one.

The great comeback from down 3-1 in 2003 round 1 was kind of quickly soured by the Canucks themselves blowing a 3-1 lead in the very next round.

If stepping away from the Canucks, Nordiques / Bruins in 1982 Round 2 is pretty underrated.  Seven games and backup John Garrett coming in and winning most of the series for Quebec.

Flyers / Oilers in the 1987 Cup Final was a good one.

Los Angeles / Toronto in the 1993 Semifinal.

Edmonton / Calgary in the 1986 Smythe Final.

A real classic was Edmonton / LA in the first round in 1982, including the Miracle on Manchester.

Definitely the best series I ever saw. Unbelievable intensity skating, hitting and fighting in that series.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

Kings vs Blackhawks 2014

Canucks vs Flames 1994

Penguins vs Capitals 2009

Capitals vs Bruins 2012

Hurricanes vs Bruins 2009

Habs vs Bruins All of them

Canucks vs Kings 2010

Much more but this is what I can think at the top of my head.

25 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

Canucks Hawks 2011 was awful.

I mean great we won but a series that goes 3-0 to 3-3 is generally bad with absolute blowouts in games 4 and 5.

It's actually frustrating that we didn't sweep them. If we swept them I think we would've won the cup. That first round was a complete $@#tshow and we paid the price for it physically.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Jam126 said:

It's actually frustrating that we didn't sweep them. If we swept them I think we would've won the cup. That first round was a complete $@#tshow and we paid the price for it physically.

Mentally too.  Roberto brought his Chicago baggage into the arena in Boston.

That guy put some serious city miles on his brain in round one.  They weren't the kind of experiences like "great, I overcame that and now I'm stronger."  They were like, "don't screw up, don't screw up, don't screw up, don't screw up, phew I didn't screw up!"

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jam126 said:

You gotta close just for injury and fatigue alone.

Flames/Red Wings 2004
I'm going to catch flak for this but I really enjoyed the Flames Cinderella run in 2004.  Even though they eliminated us, they were such a gritty, hard-working and likeable team (Unlike today's lame's roster).  I especially enjoyed the series against Detroit because I was sick to death of seeing the Wings win and that particular roster acted like another Red Wings championship was a foregone conclusion.

Flames/Sharks 2004

2004 was a very different time to be a hockey fan.  I just wanted to see a Canadian team in the finals and this series delivered in spades.  The tense finish to game 6 that ended with a fluke empty netter was fantastic.  Same with Montador's OT winner in game 1.

Canucks/Sharks 2011

My favorite series from 2011 was the one against the Sharks because it was the only time it felt like we were the juggernaut we were supposed to be.  Game 2 was spectacular.

Blues/Bruins 2019
Marchand's tears should classified as an elicit drug.  Seeing them lose in Boston when it looked like a Bruins championship was inevitable was just too good.

Edited by morgo

I've been doing some research on older playoff series and the Norris Division Finals in 1985 between the Nordiques and Canadiens sounds like it was incredibly intense.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I've been doing some research on older playoff series and the Norris Division Finals in 1985 between the Nordiques and Canadiens sounds like it was incredibly intense.

The Habs never took the Nordiques seriously when they first came into the league - were a bit of a doormat to say the least.  Then the Stastny brothers came and they matched up in the first round in 1982.  The Habs were still a great team during NYI dynasty days - a contender really - and optimistic they could get one more cup.   Then they were tied and winner take all in the first round ... and somehow lost in OT (Hunter was the hero).   That started the rivalry which gained steam and became more bitter both in regular season and playoff games right until COL left.   Reading about it even the alumni games were chippy and extremely intense - problem was the Habs players kept getting younger and the Nordiques kept getting older ha ha.   Yeah those games were just as intense and violent as the battle of Alberta ones - although the skill level in Alberta was even better.   Sucks that those things have come and passed, the cap won’t allow two teams to load up with players like that ever again...what would those teams cost in today’s money post salary disclosure?  Crazy crazy money.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1