The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Top 50 Canucks of All-Time - #44

Rate this topic

-AJ-

Top 50 Canucks of All-Time - #44  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the #44 Canuck of All-Time?

• E. Pettersson
    • G. Smith
    • I. Larionov
    • R. Lanz
    • K. McCarthy
    • C. Oddleifson
    • C. Fraser
    • D. Murzyn
    • M. Cooke
    • B. Boeser

This poll is closed to new votes

In a relatively close race, Dan Hamhuis came out on top for #43. The nominations weren't dominated by anyone, but both Schmautz and Boeser were ahead of the rest, but Brock Boeser took it with five nominations and was added as a voting option.

*The #43 poll is now tied between Hamhuis and Pettersson, but I forgot to close it as I began making this thread, so I'm not counting those votes.

Reminder to both vote and nominate another player to be added as a voting option!

For those of you who haven't seen these kinds of polls before, the way they work is you vote for who you think is the greatest/top Canuck at the position. As for what is meant by "Greatest" or "Top", I will leave that to each individual. I have my own interpretations, but others may define it differently. Worth noting, that I do want to keep this to their tenures with Vancouver and as players, thus a player like Neely would only be considered for his Vancouver time and guys like Quinn and Crawford would only be considered for their playing careers, not their coaching careers.

The List:

#1 - H. Sedin

#2 - D. Sedin

#3 - T. Linden

#4 - P. Bure

#5 - M. Naslund

#6 - S. Smyl

#7 - R. Luongo

#8 - K. McLean

#9 - T. Gradin

#10 - A. Edler

-------------------

#11 - T. Bertuzzi

#12 - M. Ohlund

#13 - R. Brodeur

#14 - A. Burrows

#15 - R. Kesler

#16 - H. Snepsts

#17 - T. Tanti

#18 - A. Mogilny

#19 - J. Lumme

#20 - S. Salo

-------------------

#21 - B. Morrison

#22 - A. Boudrias

#23 - D. Lidster

#24 - K. Bieksa

#25 - C. Ronning

#26 - D. Lever

#27 - D. Kearns

#28 - E. Jovanovski

#29 - P. Sundstrom

#30 - G. Adams

-------------------

#31 - O. Kurtenbach

#32 - P. Skriko

#33 - G. Courtnall

#34 - B. Horvat

#35 - T. Williams

#36 - D. Babych

#37 - G. Odjick

#38 - J. Hansen

#39 - D. Rota

#40 - C. Tanev

-------------------

#41 - G. Butcher

#42 - D. Ververgaert

#43 - D. Hamhuis

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

Thrilled to see Boeser get some of his due here.

Voting for Kevin McCarthy again, captain for three years before Smyl.

Nominating Bobby Schmautz, who probably would've been the best Canuck of the 70s had we not foolishly traded him.

• Like 1

Voted Smith...changing lanes going to nominate Reinhart ... Also McCarthy is my next up - razor thin but have to go with the main reason we added our first banner.. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

I love Pettersson and he could end up being Top 5 by the end of his career, but his two seasons haven't yet landed him in the Top 50 for me. If we (unwisely) traded him tomorrow, he would be a great memory but not a Top 50 great.

I'll vote Oddleifson

Nominate Martin Gelinas

• Vintage 2

1 minute ago, KristoffWixenschon said:

I love Pettersson and he could end up being Top 5 by the end of his career, but his two seasons haven't yet landed him in the Top 50 for me. If we (unwisely) traded him tomorrow, he would be a great memory but not a Top 50 great.

I'll vote Oddleifson

Nominate Martin Gelinas

I don’t mind EP in the top 50 - but not ahead of most guys already on this list.  Gelinas led our team in scoring in the dead puck era with musical goalies....and was part of our 94 team ... good nomination.   I’d have him ahead of three on this list already ...

• Upvote 1

@IBatch made a very good case for Dana Murzyn and after looking him up in some more detail, I certainly have new found respect for him. The Tanev comparison is pretty accurate too I'd say... both defensive dman with long tenures.

That being said the fan in me has to get Matt Cooke in. He's played far more games than anyone remaining on this list for us ~100 more than the next closest guys in Oddleifson and Dana. He's had plenty of memorable moments and always stood up for his team mates... despite his size.

I still remember that 2003 Game 1... he was incredible. I remember jumping up and down in joy, rushing to the home phone and dialing up my best friend and both of us just hysterically yelling in joy to one another over the phone. Then stayed on the phone until

I'll nominate shortly... need to give it some thought!

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Voted Gary Smith

Nominating Jim Sandlak

I will nominate Jim as well... over 500 games ... more than anyone not named Matt Cooke.

Our own pick... started his career with us and came back to have his final year here. Can't not respect that.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

6 hours ago, apollo said:

@IBatch made a very good case for Dana Murzyn and after looking him up in some more detail, I certainly have new found respect for him. The Tanev comparison is pretty accurate too I'd say... both defensive dman with long tenures.

That being said the fan in me has to get Matt Cooke in. He's played far more games than anyone remaining on this list for us ~100 more than the next closest guys in Oddleifson and Dana. He's had plenty of memorable moments and always stood up for his team mates... despite his size.

I still remember that 2003 Game 1... he was incredible. I remember jumping up and down in joy, rushing to the home phone and dialing up my best friend and both of us just hysterically yelling in joy to one another over the phone. Then stayed on the phone until

People need to separate the Cookie that was a Canuck (an agitator to be sure, but rarely if ever cheapshot artist to the degree of a Brad Marchment type) and the 'head hunter' he became when he played on OTHER teams.  

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, apollo said:

This, I'm also voting Cooke. Respect to EP but Cooke's got a much larger body of work as a Canuck.

Nominate Sandlak. 

• Like 1