The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Capitals: Brendan Leipsic's Instagram messages are 'unacceptable and offensive'

Rate this topic

18 hours ago, IBatch said:

After reading the first 8 pages I skipped to the end.   My wife and I saw a news story about this a couple of days ago with Zajac - the main target - who’s absolutely beautiful

Ya I didn't get that at all, she totally is. It would be like me trying to make a joke about Shea Weber having a muffin. Just comes across as bitter & resentful.

I felt really bad for Pearson's wife. Calling a women who's pregnant fat, just ridiculous. How shallow & pathetic can you be for that to be a target.

• Thanks 1

the real issue is

and it is the issue the caps addressed

is that other players would no longer want him as a team mate

he is corrosive to the notion of team building

i read a post that if ovi had done the same thing all would be ok

i doubt that

i think ovi would have been traded

sens went through team destructive social issues

and ended up moving both players involved

i know i would not want a player who did these things

as my team mate

if that person denigrated people who were most important to me personally

there would be a lot of practice fights if he stayed

Edited by coastal.view
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, nowhereman said:

Unfortunately, a lot of social justice comes from a place of anger, resentment, frustration, insecurity, "moral superiority", and, in many cases, the same ugly place of intolerance and ignorance that we're supposed to be fighting against. As such, the court of internet opinion will quickly seek to dehumanize, villianize and, ultimately, punish people with impunity (through loss of job, public shame, death threats, etc.). It's almost as if people receive some sort of cathartic reprieve from their own personal faults and mistakes, by imposing a form of vigilante justice against those they deem unsavoury. At this point, expecting a rational, clear-headed response to something that others find "offensive" is essentially a pipe dream. 

Does anyone really learn anything from these situations, beyond the lesson that consequence comes to those who get caught? Does Leipsic actually regret what he said... or does he just regret that the public found out that he said it? Progress is made by changing hearts and minds, not by shaming people into compliance. Yes, Leipsic will be shamed (and, most likely, lose his job as an NHL player), his victims will be embarrassed (resulting in possible emotional damage) and the rest of us can all stand by and call ourselves "good people". But what was really accomplished?

This is about him, not us.  Not sure why it's ok to use the court of internet opinion to condemn those who are sharing an opinion on something?  Double standard in this.

We didn't send out a bunch of vile, vulgar, hate filled comments about others so this isn't people doing something, it's people reacting to something.  Accountability means that it was HIS actions that resulted in his job loss....had nothing to do with others.  We're simply discussing the matter.  And most have already forgotten and moved on.

There's this thing called karma and a group shaming others is now having a taste of their own medicine.  Not sure why we should feel bad for them..it was self inflicted.  It's a good lesson in how it feels and empathy may enter in as a result of being at the receiving end of this sort of stuff.  Not that I condone it - two wrongs don't make a right.  But I don't feel sorry for them either.

Hopefully he will learn from this - that's what I'd like to see happen. 

Other than an outburst or two here, these have been rational, clear headed discussions about something offensive that was multi targeted and seemingly completely unprompted.  Not sure why people try to make it something it's not.  Emotions do come into play because bullying just isn't nice and the people being targeted did not deserve this.  So I guess it depends on who you spend your empathy on.

The behaviour of this group was pretty toxic and sometimes the reactions reflect the actions.

• Cheers 2

I think at the end of the day people are allowed to have their opinions no matter what side they are on. I don't see this as being a "mob mentality" situation as it's not like we all have pitchforks and doing anything about it outside of discussing it on this thread about it. Leipsic got what was coming to him and action was taken. Simple enough and no reason to really overthink it in my opinion.

I do however understand the worry about mob mentalities. They do destroy innocent people's lives. They can also something create changes that are more "reactions" and not thought all the way through. I'm glad this is not one of those cases.

On 5/12/2020 at 8:09 AM, coastal.view said:

the real issue is

and it is the issue the caps addressed

is that other players would no longer want him as a team mate

he is corrosive to the notion of team building

i read a post that if ovi had done the same thing all would be ok

i doubt that

i think ovi would have been traded

sens went through team destructive social issues

and ended up moving both players involved

i know i would not want a player who did these things

as my team mate

if that person denigrated people who were most important to me personally

there would be a lot of practice fights if he stayed

Ovi would never in a million years be traded. He puts fans in the seats. Karlsson was traded because he didn't sign the extension he was offered, which was a pretty fair deal.

I love the sport of Hockey, but unfortunately Leipsic mentally with Hockey Players was the norm, I hope it’s changed. I’m not at all surprised at Leipsic tweets.  Ever been around Non recreational hockey teams or when they’re drinking and on the road. They’re a group of A-hole wolf pack morons.

I hope the younger Generation of hockey players isn’t as douchey.

Parents dont let your hockey kids grow up to be douches. 

Edited by HockeyHarry
  • Upvote 1