The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Capitals: Brendan Leipsic's Instagram messages are 'unacceptable and offensive'

Rate this topic

26 minutes ago, Toews said:

How many of us would look like self-entitled jerks if all our chats were released to the public. Not excusing Leipsic's misogynistic behaviour but this needs to be put into context. These messages were clearly intended for a certain audience and not for the masses. Reminds me of that season of South Park where everyone's internet history is being released by Denmark. People are judgmental and we rarely look in the mirror for reasons other than our vanity. What if these were a group of women doing the chatting. I bet it would be perceived differently. From personal experience women cannot be underestimated when it comes to viciousness, that and they have longer memories to boot, a truly deadly combination. 

Edit: No defense for the racist comment, deserves to be raked over the coals. Anyone who is racist toward Canada's long suffering Native population needs to revoke their citizenship and go die on an island somewhere.

It's a sticky situation.

His character is exposed, there's no defending it really. But privatw messages are private messages, what are you going to do about things people say in private? Do we really want to open that can of worms? If you even can.

1 hour ago, Vanuckles said:

I'm not excusing what he did, he's a POS that doesn't deserve to be in the league. He's a tweener anyways so he was as good as gone regardless imo. But the goal of private information is to remain private. If he got hacked, that means the social media platform servers have some security concerns that need to be addressed. And if he wants to present the case that he could've made millions and this invasion of privacy cost him that money then he'll be able to find lawyers to represent him. Again, I don't agree with it because I believe he was on his way out of the league regardless. BUT companies are liable for their cybersecurity measures. I'm sure they're up to industry/regulation standards but you wonder with 100s of millions if not billions using Twitter/IG, perhaps they're responsible for going the extra mile in terms of cybersecurity.

I'm just playing devil's advocate :P But I am curious... Perhaps any lawyers/legal assistants can weigh in on this?

You know that “hacked” in 2020 is generally shorthand for “someone in the chat left their phone unlocked and then the chat got leaked”, right? 

• Haha 2

Anyone saying talk "happens"?   As soon as it's leaked/exposed/whatever all excuses go out the window and there's no covering for it.  Own it.  If you're going to be an ahole behind the scenes and talk the talk...walk the walk or you're  a punk ass coward.  Trying too hard to impress his bro's.  Herd of sheep.  

But, but, but...I'm sorry.  Piss off. 

People who talk like this are toxic.  Period.  Because talk and ideas with a theme of hate and degradation that are spread around...even if just for a laugh....create a culture of all that is wrong in the world.   Groups of guys who share this mentality are pathetic.  Boys not men.  

I love that these idiots lining up "fat chicks" don't know the difference between they're and their.  Using all their brain power to insult others when, really, they're complete dumbasses.  

25 years old?  Time to grow up maybe?  

Wannabe hack player...glad we got rid of his useless ass.  This organization has too much class for that sorry piece of trash.  

You can't put Leispic on a pig...you'll make the pig look bad.

• Like 2
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Nope.

This is totally inappropriate talk in this day and age.  If you don't understand that, you probably should try harder to.  I hope you're young and that explains why you don't get why this is not ok.

Most real people don't talk like this.  It's offensive and hate fuelled.

Really? 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Toews said:

How many of us would look like self-entitled jerks if all our chats were released to the public. Not excusing Leipsic's misogynistic behaviour but this needs to be put into context. These messages were clearly intended for a certain audience and not for the masses. Reminds me of that season of South Park where everyone's internet history is being released by Denmark. People are judgmental and we rarely look in the mirror for reasons other than our vanity. What if these were a group of women doing the chatting. I bet it would be perceived differently. From personal experience women cannot be underestimated when it comes to viciousness, that and they have longer memories to boot, a truly deadly combination. 

Edit: No defense for the racist comment, deserves to be raked over the coals. Anyone who is racist toward Canada's long suffering Native population needs to revoke their citizenship and go die on an island somewhere.

Good points. Women haven't been oppressed long enough yet to make it inexcusable. 

Edited by Jester13

Can’t say I’m surprised to be honest. They’re a lot of these types of jerks in the real world.

It’s completely inappropriate to make comments about a former teammate’s wife,  especially if it’s regarding weight since it’s a sensitive topic for a lot of people. And the racist comments, there is no defending that no matter what anyone says. 
I’m glad we waived this loser.