The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Capitals: Brendan Leipsic's Instagram messages are 'unacceptable and offensive'

Rate this topic

3 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

Literally this. For those people "shocked" or "disgusted" have clearly never been in a locker room before. 

Pretty standard stuff. 

If you don't think there's something wrong or toxic with that type of culture, you're twisted.

Hockey culture is messed up.  Brendan Leipsic is messed up.  Shame on anyone still manicenough to try and defend this type of behaviour.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, Rounoush said:

Bunch of isolated individuals in here. It's like they've never talked to real people in their life.

Everyone just wants the moral high ground.

You are the one trying to claim moral high ground here.  You think you are entitled to say anything you want without consequence.

If you think shaming other people's bodies are okay, do it to your own kids first.  Tell them that they should lose some pounds and see how it destroys their lives.

I have never seen anyone talk **** about a pregnant woman's body.  I have never seen my teammates call other teammates total losers.

• Like 3

I came here for this!!

Yes, $&!#ty comments, but I don't think kids understand that this is both like saying these things to peoples faces and there is def something different about putting something in writing as opposed to just talking with your friends. Say a $&!#ty thing, maybe that was too harsh, forgotten in 5 mins. Write a $&!#ty thing, and you're a public figure..You could be f**ked son.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

I have a real problem with that. Not to say that I’d agree with the content of what they were saying. But the fact that they might be intoxicated or drugged up and maybe they’ve joked like that for years in what they thought was a private safe place. 

I don’t know I guess the big cities this”  I’m offended”culture  is leaving the real world behind.  I absolutely hate that, I don’t think anybody has the right to tell anyone how to think and speak in their private life. I mean should you have to change your private life because something that you joked around with in your private life with some of your friends after a glass of wine offends me?  I think it’s non of my &^@#ing business what you do in your private life, because it doesn’t concern me.  

Or am I and people of my region and their ideologies geographically out of touch? Should every one have to mandate their thoughts and speech within a very narrow range to be sure that we don’t offend anyone else of the 7.4 billion people on this planet, if they should happen to be eavesdropping on our private conversations? 

I don’t know... I guess I support free thought and the right to privacy, but that’s long gone me thinks.

There is no longer a place for racism and misogyny in this world...never was.  And to feel that it's somehow acceptable IS the narrow view.  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

You are the one trying to claim moral high ground here.  You think you are entitled to say anything you want without consequence.

If you think shaming other people's bodies are okay, do it to your own kids first.  Tell them that they should lose some pounds and see how it destroys their lives.

I have never seen anyone talk **** about a pregnant woman's body.  I have never seen my teammates call other teammates total losers.

The difference here was that there was no intend for the people in question to know about this conversation. Body shaming somebody directly to their face in order to shame them personally is totally gross. I feel as though everybody has said some nasty stuff about their coworkers behind their backs. I'm not saying having a group chat in which you bash women's appearances (whom are incredibly beautiful BTW) is a good thing by any means, but if everyone who is condemning this so harshly looked into the mirror and remembered some of the nasty things they have thought or said about others in the past, maybe they wouldn't be judging somebody so harshly. Judge yourself before judging others I believe is the saying. Leipsic's conversations with his buddies isn't my business. However, in today's age, I can't see a way a player like Leipsic remains in the NHL. What happens when this comes out about a star player? How will he be made to pay for his sins.

4 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

Literally this. For those people "shocked" or "disgusted" have clearly never been in a locker room before. 

Pretty standard stuff. 

Ah, yeah. I remember all those times I pulled out a photo of my teammate having a nice moment with their child and used it as an opportunity to instead talk about how his wife was fat. Classic banter. 

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

What about in comedy?  Or in a tight net community like a group chat with close friends when they know you don't actually mean any of it?  

100%.

But in Leipsic's case, it won't be worth the headache for other teams. He went TOO far and said too many of the WRONG things, and unfortunately for him he got exposed. Generally I'd agree, though.

Edited by Herberts Vasiljevs

1 hour ago, Rounoush said:

Bunch of isolated individuals in here. It's like they've never talked to real people in their life.

Everyone just wants the moral high ground.

Who are you hanging around with that seems to thrive off of pulling up photos of someone else with their child and using it as an opportunity to call someone's wife fat? Who are these 'real people'?

I've definitely said things about other people that I wouldn't want leaked. But, #1 I didn't stoop that low and #2 I say those things to people I trust and don't have to worry about getting screwed over. I just can't imagine even bothering to take the time to search Twitter for photos of other people to then slag on them in a group chat. On top of everything, it just seems like a total waste of time and energy. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

There is no longer a place for racism and misogyny in this world...never was.  And to feel that it's somehow acceptable IS the narrow view.  

True, they are things that should not be accepted or tolerated. It’s a bad example on my part because of the content of what they said and the attitude they have about it.

I don’t know...  really bothers me both what they were saying and on the flip side the lack of privacy(if that makes sense). But maybe we’ve reached that point in society where no one should be allowed to have a private conversation in case the seeds of horrible ideologies are planted. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

What about in comedy?  Or in a tight net community like a group chat with close friends when they know you don't actually mean any of it?  

Why would you say something you don't mean?

2 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

True, they are things that should not be accepted or tolerated. It’s a bad example on my part because of the content of what they said and the attitude they have about it.

I don’t know...  really bothers me both what they were saying and on the flip side the lack of privacy(if that makes sense). But maybe we’ve reached that point in society where no one should be allowed to have a private conversation in case the seeds of horrible ideologies are planted. 

I think we're at the point where:

1. Nothing posted online should be considered truly private by anyone. Everything can be hacked eventually. 
  2. Everyone should be prepared to face the consequences for what they say online. 
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

1 minute ago, The 5th Line said:

Joking around with friends?  Shock value?  Fun, boredom,, who knows?  

I love watching horror movies, but I don't like killing people.

Never mind.  It's not my job to help you figure it out.

If you and your friends want to joke just maybe use these guys as a lesson/example.  Do it where others won't ever find out because most DON'T find it acceptable or funny.  It's just really offensive.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

The privacy thing is really important. I just care less in this case because it seemed like a group of 3-4 people whose sole purpose was to talk $&!# about others. It wasn't a case of an otherwise okay person saying something in the heat of the moment and then got dragged over the coals for it. 

I guess the lesson is that if you want to have a private conversation, have a private conversation. Nobody is compelled to talk to someone through instant messaging. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, StealthNuck said:

I think we're at the point where:

1. Nothing posted online should be considered truly private by anyone. Everything can be hacked eventually. 
  2. Everyone should be prepared to face the consequences for what they say online. 

That’s actually a very good point. That leads me to kind of an interesting point. What if somebody said something 10 years ago and they’ve grown as a person or they’ve become tolerant and grown with society and changed. Should they still be crucified for a text they sent maybe 10 years ago?  I’m a big believer in people becoming better as they age. 

1 minute ago, The 5th Line said:

Of course what he said was offensive... that not the point here, Deborah.  His intentions were not to hurt feelings, hence the use of a private chat.

You think most people don't find it acceptable to talk how YOU want to talk to YOUR friends in a private setting?  Well, I'd wager you'd be wrong about that.  

I think most reasonably intelligent people would realize that there was a risk with putting something like that in writing with multiple recipients.