The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Capitals: Brendan Leipsic's Instagram messages are 'unacceptable and offensive'

Rate this topic

3 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Of course what he said was offensive... that not the point here, Deborah.  His intentions were not to hurt feelings, hence the use of a private chat.

You think most people don't find it acceptable to talk how YOU want to talk to YOUR friends in a private setting?  Well, I'd wager you'd be wrong about that.  

It IS hurtful to "share" these types of conversations...they breed intolerance and hatred.

What is the point of talking a bunch of crap?  Find something useful unless you're immature and find this somehow "entertaining".  Anyone over about 16 probably should not.  

It's not a private setting...it's the internet.  

The point IS that it was offensive...the world wouldn't be talking about it otherwise.

7 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Of course what he said was offensive... that not the point here, Deborah.  His intentions were not to hurt feelings, hence the use of a private chat.

You think most people don't find it acceptable to talk how YOU want to talk to YOUR friends in a private setting?  Well, I'd wager you'd be wrong about that.  

So if someone shoots a gun out of carelessness and kills someone, should he be given a pardon at that point in your opinion?

Is carelessness something that shouldn't be considered and that fact that he "didn't mean to" be the end all be all?

1 minute ago, The 5th Line said:

Killing someone is a crime and very serious.  Calling a girl fat in a group chat is well...kinda common 

The bolded is the problem in society.

No accountability for actions if they're not considered "killing".

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, The Lock said:

So if someone shoots a gun out of carelessness and kills someone, should he be given a pardon at that point in your opinion?

Is carelessness something that shouldn't be considered and that fact that he "didn't mean to" be the end all be all?

Definitely not. I personally feel that if anyone is caught with a gun and they aren’t in the military it should be an automatic 25 year jail sentence and tripled if a person  does harm intentional or not. 

5 minutes ago, The Lock said:

The bolded is the problem in society.

No accountability for actions if they're not considered "killing".

Thing is, in a roundabout way it does sometimes kill.  People who are shamed/bullied can end up in a really lonely, dark place so this isn't necessarily "harmless fun".  When you target someone, it's never really ok.

"Fun"??? or not.

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

No the problem with society is everything is a damn outrage 

I'm just saying ease off on calling the guy a POS and asking for a life time hockey ban

No ban necessary; he's not a good enough player that any team is going to pick him up now.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

No the problem with society is everything is a damn outrage 

I'm just saying ease off on calling the guy a POS and asking for a life time hockey ban

So are you saying he shouldn't be scolded at all?

• Vintage 1

Just now, The 5th Line said:

I'll call him a balding little mutt with not much of an NHL future and If I was Pearson I would run him through the boards next year.  I wouldn't complain about his comments being offensive though, especially seeing as how the intentions were for just his friends to see it.  

See, that's the thing. You're complaining about one extreme (while people aren't 100% that extreme from what I've read) while being on the other extreme (yet also not 100% that direction). Still, there has to be a middle ground here don't you think?

• Cheers 1

Leipsic has the right to think and say whatever he wants. But Leipsic’s “right” to play NHL hockey is subject to the CBA, which includes Article 18-A.2, which states that if a player is “guilty of conduct (whether during or outside the playing season) that is detrimental to or against the welfare of the League or the game of hockey, [the Commissioner] may discipline such Player in any or all of the following respects:
(a) by expelling or suspending such Player for a definite or indefinite period;
(b) by cancelling any SPC that such Player has with any Member Club; or
(c) by imposing a fine on the Player not exceeding the maximum permissible fine
under Section 18.7(b).”

• Thanks 2

A couple of my favourite tweets in response to this:

And after he called his linemates losers:

“losers”
nic dowd and his wife partnered up with the caps to create sensory kits for kids with autism so they can enjoy caps’ games.
garnet hathaway created hath’s heroes to give back to first responders who risked their lives to help us

Who's the loser again?

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, qwijibo said:

He clearly loves his cocaine as well. 

Show me a person that doesn't and I will show them one magical 24 hours! 

:bigblush:

52 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Joking around with friends?  Shock value?  Fun, boredom,, who knows?  

I love watching horror movies, but I don't like killing people.

I love watching hockey, but i don't like watching Coca-Cola abusing racist misogynistic pro athletes either.

Professional sports are supposed to be, guess what?

PROFESSIONAL!

If i said the same things in a group chat with some work colleagues and they got leaked and the public saw.

Would I still have my job ?

No.

• Vintage 1

I can’t help but feel that some people upset with Brendan Leipsic are being very anti-Semitic. I don’t understand how someone coming from his personal background would be racist. I think some of the criticism in this thread from posters comes from some of their sick dislike or prejudice of his personal heritage.

• Haha 1
  • Wat 5

13 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

The point is he can say what he wants in private and it doesn't make him a bad person.  People need to chill

Doesn't make him a bad person in general. But he sure turned into one for a while.

And considering we're talking about what he said "in private", it's not exactly private anymore now is it?

Edited by The Lock

3 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

I can’t help but feel that some people upset with Brendan Leipsic are being very anti-Semitic. I don’t understand how someone coming from his personal background would be racist. I think some of the criticism in this thread from posters comes from some of their sick dislike or prejudice of his personal heritage.

source.gif

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Just because his sir name is or was connected to a religious belief or area of land doesnt mean that person is practicing or following in good standing. 

Drugs, booze, sexism, racism, body shaming, NSA sex, trash talking others.....

If he is practicing any religion, he is not.in good standing.

His family name has zero to do with his words.

I spent years in the army.... we used language you couldn’t believe and talked smack a lot, but it was taking the piss out of each other directly.  Not being whiny little cowards just making fun of other people and generally being douche bags.  We all knew some of those types of hockey guys in high school.

There are lots of private conversations that I wouldn’t like to be made public.  I can say things to friends and make awful offensive jokes , because they know me and my heart and know the context.  This stuff doesn’t fall into that category because it isn’t bad jokes or ribbing each other... just being asshats.

Guy will be gone from the league... no doubt at all.  You have to not suck to get second chances.

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Just because his sir name is or was connected to a religious belief or area of land doesnt mean that person is practicing or following in good standing. 

Drugs, booze, sexism, racism, body shaming, NSA sex, trash talking others.....

If he is practicing any religion, he is not.in good standing.

His family name has zero to do with his words.

I feel that you’re making an anti-Semitic assumption based upon his last name only and I’m personally offended by it.

https://thehockeywriters.com/brendan-leipsic-named-jewish-athlete-year/ 

Edited by Standing_Tall#37
  • Wat 1