The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Greatest Pre-NHL Canuck

Rate this topic

Kevin Biestra

Greatest Pre-NHL Canuck?  

37 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

14 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Bathgate was a superstar...but so was Bower.   He and my Grandad served together and if he wasn’t sick would have also landed on the beach in Dieppe with him.   Was an AHL superstar ... lied about his age - joined the NHL and toasted his peers in fitness testing as a 33?34?35? year old right until retirement.   Then proceeded to become an NHL superstar.   Without him TO would have a few less cupa.  And he had some stiff competition with Sawchuk largely regarded as the best to ever play goalie...his sp is unreal by those standards only Plante came close...Bower is one of the most interesting players ever.   600 pro wins...like Broduer.    Back then in a six team league you can bet the talent was also superb in other leagues.  

I just realized Luongo has exactly 11 AHL wins to go with his 489 NHL ones.  Squeaked his way to 500.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Cheers 1

On 5/18/2020 at 1:12 AM, Kevin Biestra said:

How he's not yet in the Hall of Fame is completely beyond me.  They couldn't get Gary Bettman in there fast enough...

Are they gonna pull a Pat Burns / Pat Quinn and do it a year or two after he dies.  That seems to be the way.

Shameful.   Just like his firing was.   Of course he’s going to say things that are politically incorrect - but he’s a Patriot and there still is a message in what he did say that’s important to anyone who doesn’t wear a poppy on Remembrance Day.     A lot of younger people - for that I apologize for my and my parents generations for not instilling how very important that “Never Again” doesn’t click with you.   Imagine an entire world at war - and one side offering facism, racism, genocide winning for the first three years ... we need to do better for sure but doing better isn’t firing an icon for blowing his top on national TV for offending some  people (which he always did anyways) especially when the message is that important.    And you can bet the ones that were offended the most were not immigrants - the ones I knew were thankful as they want to take on our customs and be good citizens too.   Ridiculous really - Cherry’s son shouldn’t have to go to the HHOF and see his Dad posthumously.   Now I’m sure folks are nodding their heads and saying good riddance with a lot of recent justification giving them moral high ground.   I bet he doesn’t really care much about anyone’s skin colour - what he always cares about were Canadians and Canadian NHL jobs though - especially the pluggers like himself.  

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I just realized Luongo has exactly 11 AHL wins to go with his 489 NHL ones.  Squeaked his way to 500.

Until you take his SO wins away and make then ties  and SO losses away and make them ties  too.   For me at least I think this should be done in the record books to treat all the goalies pre 2004 fairly .... 

Edited by IBatch
  • Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Problem is these guys played for us so don’t count ha ha... imagine Don Cherry with Pat Quin ... well it never happened.   And from this logic we could say Bure and Mogilny count too - both Red Army brats however brief ...

Yes thats the same logic.
Mogilny pre NHL maybe > then pre NHL Bure. 

the West coast league Canucks is before my time.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, HockeyHarry said:

Yes thats the same logic.
Mogilny pre NHL maybe > then pre NHL Bure. 

the West coast league Canucks is before my time.

No worries you still made a good point and it’s before my time too.

Edit:  It’s not before my uncles time though ... feel bad they are still waiting for a cup an senior citizen’s now...and that they had to choose between TO and MTL as their favourite teams growing up ha ha ... growing up in Castlegar.  At least they had the Trail Smokeeaters amazing run to win the World Cup though..

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1