Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Top 50 Canucks of All-Time - #50 - Tie-Breaker

Rate this topic


-AJ-
 Share

Top 50 Canucks of All-Time - #50 - Tie-Breaker  

49 members have voted

  1. 1. Who is the #50 Canuck of All-Time?


This poll is closed to new votes


Recommended Posts

Hope no one votes Cooke as the "top" of anything... as much as people say "teams want a guy like that and they hate playing against guys like that', unless you've actually done something great in your career other than be a pest, guys like him don't have a place on lists like this.

 

  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Hope no one votes Cooke as the "top" of anything... as much as people say "teams want a guy like that and they hate playing against guys like that', unless you've actually done something great in your career other than be a pest, guys like him don't have a place on lists like this.

 

Brock hasn’t earned it yet.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Voted Brock!  I think he'll definitely take this convincingly.   People spread the votes around quite a bit in that last round so it left Cooke an opening.  That opening is gone with it reduced to two choices imo.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Brock hasn’t earned it yet.

Three excellent seasons is good enough for me. He's not that far below a point-per-game and has almost 200 games. I'd say he's the most skilled Canuck with 3+ seasons not on the list yet.

  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Brock's current and popular, Cooke likely doesn't stand a chance as a more divisive figure. 

 

I don't agree with it at all as Cooke's got 598 games total if you include playoffs to Boeser's 197 but I'll be in the minority here. Brock will get there, he hasn't earned it yet in my opinion, with the key part being in my opinion. One could argue PPG, but as it stands Cooke's got 203 regular season points to Boeser's 161, and I'm not going to argue which player is more skilled because it's Boeser, but that further emphasizes Cooke's tenure as a bottom six guy. 

 

Call him dirty if you want, but he still went to war and fought for this team.

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Three excellent seasons is good enough for me. He's not that far below a point-per-game and has almost 200 games. I'd say he's the most skilled Canuck with 3+ seasons not on the list yet.

Boeser has had one of the best starts of any of our draft picks - and yet is part of many trade proposals because fans seem to want more.   Funny really.   I’m sure his first season wasn’t his best - happens so rarely that it’s almost not a thing.  He’s improved his passing - and seems a little snake bitten but still was 4th in scoring for R wingers when he went down.   On pace for 40 plus his rookie season - almost positive we will see more of that at some point- maybe even next season.   Tallon was pretty darn good too but was forever linked to going number two... EP got in and deservedly so - but that makes Reinhart a contender as well for two seasons - both great ones for a Canuck.   Think Murzyn is more deserving then anyone left but BB isn’t a bad choice ... at this point the selections get razor thin as Biestra stated he had around 65 guys that could make the top 50 - and you have to make cuts somewhere.   Hlinka was good too.   I’m sure if BB plays with us two more years he will be in the top 50 for quite some time - 4/5 more years and 15-30 is possible. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Brock's current and popular, Cooke likely doesn't stand a chance as a more divisive figure. 

 

I don't agree with it as Cooke's got 350+ games plus playoff action on him but I'll be in the minority here. Brock will get there, he hasn't earned it yet in my opinion, with the key part being in my opinion. 

That’s ok.  For those that support Cooke THN did too...had him at 45 three years ago...even if BB and EP make the cut now he’d be safe in their eyes...stated “good grinder - dirty villain in later years” ha ha.   They had Aucoin, Murzyn, Odjick and Mitchell in the late 40’s...Odjick huh?  Overall I like our list better - some of the order is out of whack but for the most part the right guys got in. 
 

Edit:  Not re-signing Mitchell (a perennial Pratt award winner while here) and instead trading a roster player plus a first for Ballard (who we later had to buyout - steep price for a 7th defenseman) was Gillis’ worst mistake.  I bet it cost us a cup.   He was so good with us - then later so good for LA (plus he played against us - like a slap really).  

Edited by IBatch
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, IBatch said:

That’s ok.  For those that support Cooke THN did too...had him at 45 three years ago...even if BB and EP make the cut now he’d be safe in their eyes...stated “good grinder - dirty villain in later years” ha ha.   They had Aucoin, Murzyn, Odjick and Mitchell in the late 40’s...Odjick huh?  Overall I like our list better - some of the order is out of whack but for the most part the right guys got in. 

I like our list too, I don't agree with it all, but it's likely none of us do. I'm not gonna get too bent out of shape over it, but the gap of almost 400 games bothers me. That being said, 50 vs 51 ain't huge. 

  • Vintage 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, apollo said:

Lol... Brock is my favourite player.... he's on my phone wallpaper... and will likely go down as one of the greatest Canucks and American born athletes ever... but you guys for real?

 

This is beyond silly. I'm done wasting my breath.

 

Guess a decade of service means nothing to people.

9 years for Murzyn and I’ve wasted lots of breath on him.   Tanev is 40...Murzyn did everything he did and more.   What’s a more valuable position? - third line grinder with average numbers, definitely not great for a third liner (AG, LE, Roussel and Sutter all have higher PGP) or top pairing defensive defenseman?  Would be like saying any of these guys is more valuable then Tanev.  Lumme could pinch and do his thing because he knew Murzyn had him covered...same thing Tanev does now.  Plus he wasn’t injury prone.  Missed half a season from the lock-out otherwise would have more games played (I’m sure Cooke lost a year though).     Murzyn is Tanevs best comparable - except Murzyn fought enforcers and tough characters like KT, Berube, Odgers, Kruse etc.    A couple times a month not twice a year like Gudbranson and way harder quality of competition.  So I don’t feel bad about Cooke.  CDC completely slept on Murzyn - that I’m a little ashamed of. 
 

Edit:  Brock will undeniably end up the greatest US forward to ever play for us.  Which says a lot given Fraser was pretty darn great himself.  And I’m sure others I’m not thinking about. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I like our list too, I don't agree with it all, but it's likely none of us do. I'm not gonna get too bent out of shape over it, but the gap of almost 400 games bothers me. That being said, 50 vs 51 ain't huge. 

Good point.   Make this the top 60 greatest Canucks and see were things go from there - you might not be too happy with where the BB votes go but based on the rules a tie means Cooke automatically goes 51.  

  • Like 1
  • Vintage 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Three excellent seasons is good enough for me. He's not that far below a point-per-game and has almost 200 games. I'd say he's the most skilled Canuck with 3+ seasons not on the list yet.

 

I would probably have Boeser behind Pederson, Schneider and maybe Schmautz under that criteria.  Maybe Larionov depending on how one judges his play as a Canuck specifically.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

9 years for Murzyn and I’ve wasted lots of breath on him.   Tanev is 40...Murzyn did everything he did and more.   What’s a more valuable position? - third line grinder with average numbers, definitely not great for a third liner (AG, LE, Roussel and Sutter all have higher PGP) or top pairing defensive defenseman?  Would be like saying any of these guys is more valuable then Tanev.  Lumme could pinch and do his thing because he knew Murzyn had him covered...same thing Tanev does now.  Plus he wasn’t injury prone.  Missed half a season from the lock-out otherwise would have more games played (I’m sure Cooke lost a year though).     Murzyn is Tanevs best comparable - except Murzyn fought enforcers and tough characters like KT, Berube, Odgers, Kruse etc.    A couple times a month not twice a year like Gudbranson and way harder quality of competition.  So I don’t feel bad about Cooke.  CDC completely slept on Murzyn - that I’m a little ashamed of. 
 

Edit:  Brock will undeniably end up the greatest US forward to ever play for us.  Which says a lot given Fraser was pretty darn great himself.  And I’m sure others I’m not thinking about. 

Voting Murzyn is what got us in to this Matt Cooke mess to begin with!  Haha I should have just voted Brock to turn the tide like you did. 

 

I understand the Matt Cooke games played argument.  However for me that just doesn't hold enough weight when comparing these two players.  Brock Boeser lead the team in goals and points in his rookie year.  He immediately became a first line player and stayed there.  I can't imagine that we would have had any trouble replacing Matt Cooke if he hadn't been on the team for whatever reason.  If Brock Boeser hadn't been on the team then the difference would be dramatic.  That makes it clear to me who left a bigger impact.

  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • -AJ- locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...