The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

what is the funniest thing you’ve seen in sports?

smithers joe

i can’t remember if it was our coach green that scored a goal, zigmund palffy was so happy, that he kissed his team mate on the lips. green was too surprised to know how to react.

maybe someone remembers if it was green or someone else. drop the puck.

casey stengal wrote a book called, can’t anyone play this game? he coached the NY mets first years of existence. the book was hilarious and the fans so loved their new team, they cheered all the weird play of it’s players. if you ever come across that book, i urge you to read it. play ball.

Edited by smithers joe

I will never forget this game. 2013-2014 season. Torts year...

Canucks vs Islanders March 10th 2014.

Canucks are up 3-0 going into the 3rd period and have lost 11 of their last 13 games so we're finally feeling good about this W...

WRONG.. Islanders scored 7 goals in the 3rd period, the Canucks fans were laughing at just how bad this team was. People putting their shirts over their heads, it was a disaster but we couldn't do anything but laugh in the stands at how bad it was..

https://www.espn.com/nhl/game/_/gameId/400485217

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

Watching my nephew play hockey for the first time. He was probably about 6 years old. His team scored a goal and in celebration they all starting doing to Tiger Williams stick ride, like all 6 of them...including the goalie. The ref, being a bit annoyed, quickly dropped the puck with only the other team set. They came down and scored instantly against my nephews team. There were still some players doing the Tiger stick ride while the other team scored.

Man, I was giggling my ass off...the beauty of little kid sports. 

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Watching my nephew play hockey for the first time. He was probably about 6 years old. His team scored a goal and in celebration they all starting doing to Tiger Williams stick ride, like all 6 of them...including the goalie. The ref, being a bit annoyed, quickly dropped the puck with only the other team set. They came down and scored instantly against my nephews team. There were still some players doing the Tiger stick ride while the other team scored.

Man, I was giggling my ass off...the beauty of little kid sports. 

What a crappy ref. They're 6 years old, give them a break

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

I actually have a couple of things that happened while I was playing that were pretty darn funny...……….

#1. A guy on my hockey team, lost his cool and after the whistle, tried to break his stick over the boards at the bench, he swung the first time, and it did not break, which made him madder, he swore, and tried again, and it did not break, I started to laugh, which made him even madder, so he tried to break it a third time, and the stick bent, big time....

resulting in the stick loading up with a lot of energy, as it started to spring back, the guy lost his balance and the stick threw him backwards, resulting him being thrown to the ice on his back...………..I fell off the bench laughing! He was pissed!

#2. Once, I was playing in a hockey game, and I could do no wrong, the opposition started to key on me, so on this one play, as I went into their zone, I flipped the puck into the air, towards their goalie, the puck went real high, and as it came down, it hit the defenseman on top of the head, bounced up into the air again, and then went in over the goalies shoulder into the net, I honestly had skated half way to the bench as it went in...…...more a stupid goal, than funny, but it does get brought up a lot with my buddies

#3...…….pretty much any Jose Canseco high-lite not associated with his hitting...……...running through the wall, and the ball hitting his head come to mind. Love those re-runs when they come up on the bloopers.

#4...……..Got to also say the Kevin Bieksa/ AV  laughathon…….gives me giggles every time!

Edited by janisahockeynut
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

You had to live through this era of hockey to appreciate this, but if you did - I think you'll understand why this is easily the funniest thing in sports:

Edited by Fanuck
  • Haha 1

you had to be there, but i was golfing with a fellow work mate. he kept hedging his score on ever hole, i didn’t care. on one hole he was in the rough, he continually got in worse trouble with each attempt to get out. finally he got the ball back on the fairway. he then swung and missed the ball on his perfect lie. he was so mad and frustrated that his next swing was as hard as he could hit it, his club missed the ball again but swung around and smacked his head. i thought, just desserts for all his cheating, but i had to look away to hide the smile on my face. i don’t know what he wrote down for his score. he wasn’t cheating me, but only himself.

Edited by smithers joe
  • Haha 1

Joe,

for me golf is a character game and if you cheat that just proves what type of a character you are.

It is enjoyable to be out in the fresh air with friends to have a good time this is what the game is about.

NOT CHEATING,like Donald Trump, is anyone really surprised that he cheats.That guy has something wrong with his wiring in his big AH BRAIN and his character is flawed.

59 minutes ago, DADDYROCK said:

Joe,

for me golf is a character game and if you cheat that just proves what type of a character you are.

It is enjoyable to be out in the fresh air with friends to have a good time this is what the game is about.

NOT CHEATING,like Donald Trump, is anyone really surprised that he cheats.That guy has something wrong with his wiring in his big AH BRAIN and his character is flawed.

i agree with both statements. but i don’t worry about the golfer but if your running a country, you should be flogged and sent to russia without supper. maybe the russian prostitutes will give him his just desserts.

we had a den of foxes on our course. when i saw one heading for my ball, i left my clubs and ran to chase him away. when he ran i went back for my clubs but the sly devil headed for my ball again. i finally chased him/her away. i thought to myself, if anyone had seen that, they would be calling me, dances with fox. they might have even made a movie out of it.

A number of years ago I drove to Fernie from Cranbrook with three of my kids, all elementary schoolers, to watch an old timers hockey game.  There were lots of players there who I had watched growing up like Frank Mahovalich and Eddie Shack.  But the player I most wanted to see was Gilbert Perrault.  I had brought a number of sticks for the players to sign and told the kids that we were leaving the game early to catch the players before they got on the bus.  As the players were boarding the bus we got all of the players to sign except Perrault, who had changed and boarded the bus as the game was ending.  The kids and I stood there and I asked the driver if I could get on to get Gilbert to sign my sticks.  He told me he wasn't allowed to let me on.  Just then Eddie Shack, who had overheard my request, told me, "Go ahead young fella, get on."  I got on with my armload of sticks and as I walked down the aisle all of the players stopped me to resign the sticks.  Gilbert was sitting in the very back of the bus chatting in French with Gilles Meloche and Gilles Gilbert.  In my best UBC French, I asked him if he would sign for me.  He told me that my French was very good and asked where I had learned it.  I answered as he started signing and we started talking.  All of a sudden the bas started up and began moving.  I looked out the window and saw the kids waving goodbye.  With visions of the trouble I would be in arriving hom without the kids, I bolted for the front of the bus, undoubtedly knocking a few of the players on the back of the head with my armload of sticks.  I finally got the driver's attention and he stopped to let me out, right in front of my truck.  As I was putting the sticks in the truck, the kids came walking up.  We came to a quick agreement, Blizzards at the DQ in exchange for not telling Mom that Dad almost went on a road trip with the old timers without them.  The forlorn looks on the faces as the bus began driving away haunts me to this day.

• Cheers 1