The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Lineup to play Philadelphia for the 1974 Stanley Cup

Rate this topic

Kevin Biestra

Just now, erkayloomeh said:

Wasn't that win tainted tho because he broke a Russians ankle or something? 

Russians were also playing dirty as hell and insisted on referees so crooked they made Kelly Sutherland look like a consummate professional.  His slash was definitely a penalty but in the context of the series and the Cold War, it was understandable.  The Soviets weren't just the opposition; they were the enemy.

6 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Russians were also playing dirty as hell and insisted on referees so crooked they made Kelly Sutherland look like a consummate professional.  His slash was definitely a penalty but in the context of the series and the Cold War, it was understandable.  The Soviets weren't just the opposition; they were the enemy.

Playing dirty -- using physical intimidation -- wasn't really a big part of European hockey until they learned it from Canadians, I'd have to say.  No matter how much we disliked the "Commies", we have to admit that we were the kings of physical hockey in the '70's.  The Soviets had nothing that came close to the Broad Street Bullies or the Big Bad Bruins at the time.

D.Sedin-H.Sedin-Bertuzzi
Pettersson-Linden-Bure

Naslund-Kesler-Mogilny

Burrows-Horvat-Smyl 

Brashear

Edler-Reinhart
Hughes-Bieksa

Ohlund-Salo

Mitchell

Luongo

Mclean

1) Burrows-Kesler-Linden can be thrown out there to shut down when the situation calls for it.

2) Bertuzzi-Horvat-Smyl can be thrown out there for toughness when the situation calls for it.

3) Mitchell and Bieksa can be used as a pure shut down pair when the situation calls for it.

4) Hughes and Reinhart can run the power play.

5) Brashear can be inserted into the line-up in case of injury and/or the Broadstreet Bullies start gooning it up.   Odjick has tons of heart and was always willing to stick up for teammates, but wasn’t a good enough hockey player (also, Brash was tougher), while Dorset wouldn’t be able to intimidate the BSB.

6) I would actually be inclined to choose Markstrom over Luongo, but couldn’t stomach myself to disrespect Luongo due to the memories we shared with him (ie cup run, Olympics, Luongo stonewalling Dallas in 2007).

7) Mogilny-Pettersson-Bure for pure offense.

Edited by DarkIndianRises

On 5/19/2020 at 1:54 AM, Kevin Biestra said:

Ice your all-time Canucks lineup to play against Bobby Clarke's Philadelphia Flyers for the 1974 Stanley Cup.  You can draw from any Canucks in history, but they have to play as they did for the Canucks (i.e. you get the Sunday Skating version of Lays Chips).  Four lines of forwards, three lines of defensemen, two goalies, one coach.

Two spare forwards, two spare defensemen and one spare goalie.

1970s hockey rules.  Butterfly or hybrid style goaltending is not allowed.  You're up against the 1973-74 Flyers, with four of the seven games in their arena.  Can you put together a team to win the Cup?  You are invited to justify your picks.

I'm rolling with...

Pavel Bure - Trevor Linden - Stan Smyl

Daniel Sedin - Henrik Sedin - Todd Bertuzzi

Orland Kurtenbach - Thomas Gradin - Tiger Williams

Geoff Courtnall - Cliff Ronning - Sergio Momesso

sp: Donald Brashear / Don Lever

Dave Babych - Garth Butcher

Harold Snepsts - Paul Reinhart

Ed Jovanovski - Mattias Ohlund

sp: Doug Lidster / Quinn Hughes

Kirk McLean

Richard Brodeur

sp: Roberto Luongo

Well, if it was ‘74 pretty much every player on your list would be out with injuries within 2 games.

8 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I picked three guys who held the Canucks' record for ironman streaks for a reason.

You can’t play with only 3 guys.  :)

There is no doubt any players from this millennium with the skill, training and equipment they have would skate circles around the ‘74 Flyers, first game would be a blowout, the rest of the series would be decide by what the refs call or don’t call, it would either be more blowouts or a blood bath.  It’s almost like trying to compare 2 different sports.

Edited by Dumb Nuck