The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sven to Scout in Europe (Proposal)

Just now, Crabcakes said:

Buying out Baer isn't worth it.  The cap hit would be $1.7 in year 1 and $800k in year 2 as opposed to $2.3 for only 1 more year if he's buried in the minors.  Full cap hit is $3.3 and actual salary is $2.4 next year with no bonuses.

So, burying in the minors is probably their best option if they can't trade him. 

The Canucks don't have a lot of cap space to the point where probably every 100K counts.  

It's also financial.  Owners are set to lose a fair bit of money and 800K saved might not be all that negligible.   Dhaliwal tweeted that he heard that the Canucks made some salary cuts among staff.  

• Vintage 1

On 5/20/2020 at 9:46 PM, janisahockeynut said:

Convince Sven to terminate by mutual consent

Then offer Sven a scouting job with the Canucks in Europe

where he is free to play, as a condition of his employment

to gauge the players he is scouting.

Hey, if Florida can hire Loui, then fair is fair

Cost of scouting contract ………………..2 years @ $1,670,000 = $3,366,666

Let Sven pick up what ever coin he can, while in the 2 years......maybe he makes another $700,000 per ?

Maybe reduce the offer? ………...

Bottom line...Sven.....scouting!

I don't understand their handling on Baer, he likely would have had a good year in Van, probably approaching 20 goals by the time the season was on pause.  He's a good player and should have been a contributing player on the Canucks.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Buying out Baer isn't worth it.  The cap hit would be $1.7 in year 1 and $800k in year 2 as opposed to $2.3 for only 1 more year if he's buried in the minors.  Full cap hit is $3.3 and actual salary is $2.4 next year with no bonuses.

So, burying in the minors is probably their best option if they can't trade him. 

Therein lies the means to trade Baer with value.

Retain 50% real dollars & we get a $1.65mill break in cap, versus $2.3 if he was buried. Which is worth mentioning.

That would be $1.2 mill real cost for a team that takes Sven on. Good value! Worth a mid round pick for an absolute top AHL performer, with NHL speed at worst. 

Ottawa, NYR, Wash, teams in opposite directions could use some skilled depth at low cost. Even Edmonton has found it hard to get wingers to keep up with their elite pivots.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Therein lies the means to trade Baer with value.

Retain 50% real dollars & we get a $1.65mill break in cap, versus $2.3 if he was buried. Which is worth mentioning.

That would be $1.2 mill real cost for a team that takes Sven on. Good value! Worth a mid round pick for an absolute top AHL performer, with NHL speed at worst. 

Ottawa, NYR, Wash, teams in opposite directions could use some skilled depth at low cost. Even Edmonton has found it hard to get wingers to keep up with their elite pivots.

Good thought.  That's practically as good as a buy out in year 1 and there's nothing in year 2 where a buyout costs an $800 cap hit. 

It's a low risk play for somebody.  He played 43 games in Utica concussion free.  Better than a point per game and historically 0.5 ppg at the NHL level.  Only 27.

Edited by Crabcakes

On 5/20/2020 at 11:10 PM, -AJ- said:

I still maintain that he's been given the short end of the stick and firmly believe he could put up 40 points in a middle six role on almost any team in the league. His performance has never dropped from the day we acquired him. I don't believe Vancouver will ever give him another chance, so I hope he's traded to another team where he can prove himself and get a proper opportunity.

AJ, I say this respectfully...….Sven went through waivers and no one picked him up...….....no one!

That tells me is either over paid or not as good as he thinks

The GM's set the market place, and no one was interested

I am really hard pressed to understand how a 40 point player who has a $3,366,666 cap hit, but who's actual salary is less

would not be picked up?

Now his actual is $2,400,000...…………...so yeah, if he can't make it now, he never will

But in saying that, with the Covid-19 recession, and a lower cap......one never knows

He could be work more now.

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

AJ, I say this respectfully...….Sven went through waivers and no one picked him up...….....no one!

That tells me is either over paid or not as good as he thinks

The GM's set the market place, and no one was interested

I am really hard pressed to understand how a 40 point player who has a $3,366,666 cap hit, but who's actual salary is less

would not be picked up?

Now his actual is $2,400,000...…………...so yeah, if he can't make it now, he never will

But in saying that, with the Covid-19 recession, and a lower cap......one never knows

He could be work more now.

I do think his salary played a part in him passing through waivers, but let me ask you this: Show me where Sven's play dropped. Every single season he played, he played well and he never got worse. 

Points-per-game

2015-16: 0.41

2016-17: 0.51

2017-18: 0.55

2018-19: 0.54

Can you legitimately say his performance dropped? I see absolutely no evidence that Baertschi started playing poorly and in fact the opposite--he remained a consistent 40+ point-pace player for three consecutive years. Show me statistical evidence that Baertschi isn't an NHL calibre player. I get that all 31 GMs passed on him, but what statistical basis is there for that? It's not like he pulled an Eriksson and completely collapsed offensively. Baertschi has always been strong offensively and saw no drops whatsoever in his production.

I largely trust Green and Benning's decisions, but this is one that to this day I still strongly disagree with, as there is no evidence whatsoever to support the hypothesis that Baertschi was no longer an NHL-calibre player.

I too am hard-pressed to understand why he wasn't picked up aside from salary and injury concerns, because his offensive production never dropped at all. 31 GMs can be wrong all the time. Patrick Roy wasn't selected until round 2 of the draft. Alex Burrows wasn't drafted at all and was even sent to the ECHL. Jordan Binnington was almost sent to the ECHL. The waiving of Baertschi and his subsequent clearing of waivers is one of the most baffling things I've ever seen in my 20 years as a hockey fan.

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

34 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I do think his salary played a part in him passing through waivers, but let me ask you this: Show me where Sven's play dropped. Every single season he played, he played well and he never got worse. 

Points-per-game

2015-16: 0.41

2016-17: 0.51

2017-18: 0.55

2018-19: 0.54

Can you legitimately say his performance dropped? I see absolutely no evidence that Baertschi started playing poorly and in fact the opposite--he remained a consistent 40+ point-pace player for three consecutive years. Show me statistical evidence that Baertschi isn't an NHL calibre player. I get that all 31 GMs passed on him, but what statistical basis is there for that? It's not like he pulled an Eriksson and completely collapsed offensively. Baertschi has always been strong offensively and saw no drops whatsoever in his production.

I largely trust Green and Benning's decisions, but this is one that to this day I still strongly disagree with, as there is no evidence whatsoever to support the hypothesis that Baertschi was no longer an NHL-calibre player.

I too am hard-pressed to understand why he wasn't picked up aside from salary and injury concerns, because his offensive production never dropped at all. 31 GMs can be wrong all the time. Patrick Roy wasn't selected until round 2 of the draft. Alex Burrows wasn't drafted at all and was even sent to the ECHL. Jordan Binnington was almost sent to the ECHL. The waiving of Baertschi and his subsequent clearing of waivers is one of the most baffling things I've ever seen in my 20 years as a hockey fan.

I get what you are saying...….but yet?????

On 5/21/2020 at 3:44 PM, Provost said:

when this came up with Luongo, it was made clear that it had to be a "market-rate" job.  European scouts aren't making a 10th of that.

Luongo should not be allowed to take an NHL position with any team in the time period that the Canucks are being penalized $3M per year in cap space....Another team benefiting while the Canucks are being penalized...not fair, but not surprising in today's world.

• Cheers 1

On 5/21/2020 at 3:24 AM, samurai said:

Agreed.  Sven is overpriced but he is a legit player who plays responsible D and can put up decent numbers. He has offensive vision for sure and knows where to go.

He can play up and down the line up.  He defo has years left in the league.   Better contact and he would have played in the show somewhere for sure.

Sven getting concussed and sitting out the last part of last year really turned the tides on him...

• Cheers 1