The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

An abundance of options: Canucks to have fully-healthy roster for play-in series versus Minnesota

Rate this topic

dank.sinatra

14 minutes ago, yes we can nucks said:

LOL.  Wise guy.  I am serious.  With a healthy team, we do have all the right ingredients for the STANLEY cup:  Top two lines with elite scorers, a gritty and dangerous two-way third line, a great checking line, strength on the draw, upper tier pp and pk, experience mixed with youthful energy, an MVP quality goalie, a mobile defense that can both defend and attack, and last but not least... depth throughout the lineup.

I don't think you quite understand "elite" 

our top 2 scorers are 17 and 23rd in the league

potential yes, elite, not yet

our rookie D-man is 4th in scoring, but that -10 puts him in league with a bunch of scoring D on teams missing the playoffs

Our Goalie (call it a goalie stat or a D stat) is 14th in sv %, 27th in GAA and tied for 18th in shut outs.

I'd like mine with a small dollup of cream, hold the sugar 

@DeNiro per the other thread.

Mike Kelly using Sportlogiq's tracking technology identified team speed as the biggest question for the Canucks - the article is from 1 May.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/one-big-question-canadas-five-stanley-cup-playoff-hopefuls/

Biggest Question: Team Speed

The Canucks are in a fight to make the playoffs, tied with the Nashville Predators for the final wild card spot in the Western Conference. Who knows what kind of playoff format we’ll see if/when the season resumes, but the biggest question I have with this team is whether a lack of team speed will be an issue in the post-season. Potential first round match-ups include the Avalanche, Golden Knights and Oilers – all teams that play with a lot of pace.

The Canucks create the fewest amount of scoring chances off the rush of any team in the NHL and they allow the second most.

Vancouver doesn’t have the team speed to create a lot of quick-strike offence and as a result need to establish a presence low in the offensive zone to generate quality scoring chances. They do this well, leading the NHL in goals scored off the cycle. However, playing deep in the offensive zone as often as they do and not having an abundance of team speed to track back is what contributes to a lot of the rush chances and goals against. 

This lack of team speed could be an issue against a team that breaks the puck out as well as the Blues or teams that play with the kind of pace the Avs and Golden Knights do. 

The Canucks have a lot going for them. Jacob Markstrom has been brilliant this season, Quinn Hughes will be a Calder finalist and frankly, I’d have him top-five for the Norris Trophy as well. Their top-six, led by Elias Pettersson, Brock Boeser and J.T. Miller, has been great. But, my big question with the Canucks is whether they’ll be able to handle an opponent whose game is predicated on quick puck movement.

Screen-Shot-2020-05-01-at-1.42.35-PM.png

Edited by mll
  • Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, mll said:

@DeNiro per the other thread.

Mike Kelly using Sportlogiq's tracking technology identified team speed as the biggest question for the Canucks - the article is from 1 May.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/one-big-question-canadas-five-stanley-cup-playoff-hopefuls/

Biggest Question: Team Speed

The Canucks are in a fight to make the playoffs, tied with the Nashville Predators for the final wild card spot in the Western Conference. Who knows what kind of playoff format we’ll see if/when the season resumes, but the biggest question I have with this team is whether a lack of team speed will be an issue in the post-season. Potential first round match-ups include the Avalanche, Golden Knights and Oilers – all teams that play with a lot of pace.

The Canucks create the fewest amount of scoring chances off the rush of any team in the NHL and they allow the second most.

Vancouver doesn’t have the team speed to create a lot of quick-strike offence and as a result need to establish a presence low in the offensive zone to generate quality scoring chances. They do this well, leading the NHL in goals scored off the cycle. However, playing deep in the offensive zone as often as they do and not having an abundance of team speed to track back is what contributes to a lot of the rush chances and goals against. 

This lack of team speed could be an issue against a team that breaks the puck out as well as the Blues or teams that play with the kind of pace the Avs and Golden Knights do. 

The Canucks have a lot going for them. Jacob Markstrom has been brilliant this season, Quinn Hughes will be a Calder finalist and frankly, I’d have him top-five for the Norris Trophy as well. Their top-six, led by Elias Pettersson, Brock Boeser and J.T. Miller, has been great. But, my big question with the Canucks is whether they’ll be able to handle an opponent whose game is predicated on quick puck movement.

Screen-Shot-2020-05-01-at-1.42.35-PM.png

Interesting. I thought the Canucks would have fared better with rush goals just based on the eye test.

Its not like the team is slow. They have forwards that can skate fast. Might just be something that has to be adjusted on the coaching side.

I would like to see what the percentage of goals scored off the rush vs goals scored off the cycle are scored in the playoffs.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Interesting. I thought the Canucks would have fared better with rush goals just based on the eye test.

Its not like the team is slow. They have forwards that can skate fast. Might just be something that has to be adjusted on the coaching side.

I would like to see what the percentage of goals scored off the rush vs goals scored off the cycle are scored in the playoffs.

Surprised me too

I remember Marky keeping us in games we could have lost and might explain why we were falling fast at the end

18 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Ask any vet and they’ll tell you advantage goes to younger players in short series and especially early in the season.

Theres a reason why older teams like Minny typically take half the season to get rolling. Canucks used to be the same way.

I'll find a vet and ask him personally. 

I don't buy into what your suggesting,  the vets will be well rested, injury free, and through experience know how to be prepared.

Just my opinion 

12 minutes ago, AbrasiveAjax said:

I'll find a vet and ask him personally. 

I don't buy into what your suggesting,  the vets will be well rested, injury free, and through experience know how to be prepared.

Just my opinion 

Todd Bertuzzi had that opinion last week when he was on 650. 

All players will be rested and injury free. It’s getting into game shape that is the challenge. It’s really just simple physiology that tells you a 25 year old is going to be able to get in shape faster than a 35 year old. Not exactly a revelation.

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Surprised me too

I remember Marky keeping us in games we could have lost and might explain why we were falling fast at the end

This chart below is from a Berkshire article using the same tracking technology where he measured chances at 5v5 from 1 January onwards.  The Canucks (in green) generate less than they allow - the difference between their "for" and "against" are negative.

Not all chances are equal though.  It is significantly more dangerous to try and score off a cross ice pass than a clear sighted shot.  Anything that can generate lateral movement will make life more complicated for the goalies.    

Both the Wild and Canucks have scored 66 goals at 5v5 over that stretch (in 28 games for the Wild vs 29 for the Canucks).

The Wild generate mostly more but don't have the high end finishing skills of the Canucks, where the Canucks need less opportunities to capitalise.  They do generate more than the Wild off the cycle and use cross-ice passes more (forcing goalies to move laterally).  They also have Pettersson, Boeser who can score from the perimeter.

The Wild are one of the best defensive teams in the league.  They give up very little from the prime scoring areas.  Their goalies have been below average.  Their "against" can serve as indication of the gap to a solid defensive team.

The Wild did get better goaltending in the 2nd part of the season when they decided to stop forcing starts on Dubnyk.  They allowed 52 goals while the Canucks were last in the league allowing 71 over that stretch.   

VAN-Min-playoff-1.png

• Cheers 1

I personally think Motte is our most under rated player. He plays with such tenacity and does so many little things right. He is creates a lot of scoring chances its just he and his  line mates don't excel in finishing. 

I would like to see Motte get a chance in the top 6 in a Burrows type role

Just to switch things up a bit

Miller Horvat Toffoili  (3 checking/ 3 scoring/ 2 playmaking 3 defence) Horvat needs wingers who can make plays and score

Motte Pettersson Boeser (1 checking/ 2 scoring/ 2 playmaking/ 2 defence) Motte will be like a Burrows player who compliments the line with his energy and defence 

Pearson Gaudette Leivo (3 checking/ 3 defence) 

Roussel Sutter Virtanen (3 checking/ 1 scoring/ 2 defence) - Virtanen should play with guys that are smart defensively 

Eriksson Beagle Ferland MacEwan Baertschi - Forward playoff options 

Edited by kenhodgejr
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, DeNiro said:

to me, that just indicates inexperienced forwards, more than a lack of team speed.  LIke you, I think speed is actually one of their stronger points

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, stawns said:

to me, that just indicates inexperienced forwards, more than a lack of team speed.  LIke you, I think speed is actually one of their stronger points

Good point.

Maybe as the coach learns to trust them more and they start to realize that their speed allows them to get back defensively, they’ll take mor chances off the rush.

Just reading the title of this posting had me wondering

What if a player choses not to return while the virus is still active, maybe it won't be a full healthy roster?

1- will he be protected by players assoc. if he stay home ,with pay?

2- will he be suspended without pay?

I never read any discussion on this, has it been brought up?

On 6/2/2020 at 1:48 PM, IBatch said:

Huh?  Don’t see that at all.   Motivation is motivating and none of us can pretend to know what is going on in Markstroms head.   Expressing grief doesn’t have to be about becoming a sobbing mess asking for time off or something.   Markstrom has demonstrated he’s a warrior as has Brock Boeser ... and I’m pretty sure the person your posting against has a point. He didn’t quit on us this year or ask for time off.   Instead he held the Fort night in night out - like a warrior.  I’m  curious - what exactly is distasteful about this post?

11 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

I find this comment stupid. Any particular reason for your distaste, other than the fact that you are a distasteful person?

On 6/4/2020 at 6:33 PM, shayster007 said:

Care to explain why?

On 6/2/2020 at 1:48 PM, IBatch said:

Huh?  Don’t see that at all.   Motivation is motivating and none of us can pretend to know what is going on in Markstroms head.   Expressing grief doesn’t have to be about becoming a sobbing mess asking for time off or something.   Markstrom has demonstrated he’s a warrior as has Brock Boeser ... and I’m pretty sure the person your posting against has a point. He didn’t quit on us this year or ask for time off.   Instead he held the Fort night in night out - like a warrior.  I’m  curious - what exactly is distasteful about this post?

It is impropper to objectify players and their families.

so, not aloud to say, "I think Kesler is haut"

not aloud to say, "Do you think Petey's mother is Haut?"

Not aloud to say, " Tanners wife is a mutt", thats why Leipsic is not aloud on this board, or even in the league.

It does not matter whether its true or not, it is verboten to objectify players or their family.

Do I even need to continue ?

Probably, because I can hear your excuses as to why, "This is different"

You seem to think that because you are fans, that gives you the right to assess the value of a deceased family member to he benefit of your favorite team.

You don't.

It does not matter if you think they are "warriors" or if you RIPed in another thread

doesn't matter whether you are a fan, or a season ticket holder, you do not have the right to put value on players family.

13 minutes ago, lmm said:

Not aloud to say, " Tanners wife is a mutt", thats why Leipsic is not aloud on this board, or even in the league.

It does not matter whether its true or not, it is verboten to objectify players or their family.

You seem to think that because you are fans, that gives you the right to assess the value of a deceased family member to he benefit of your favorite team.

You don't.

It does not matter if you think they are "warriors" or if you RIPed in another thread

doesn't matter whether you are a fan, or a season ticket holder, you do not have the right to put value on players family.

Bravo.   

• Wat 1

5 hours ago, lmm said:

You don't.

This makes zero sense at all. It is different. You can have what ever opinion you want to have, and I can have mine.

Based off how you spoke to me in our private message exchange weeks back, we have nothing to talk about. You resorted to name calling immediately and still haven't said anything worth listening to on the subject.

11 hours ago, lmm said:

You don't.

What an incredibly stupid diatribe, even for you. You are barely able to form a coherent sentence at the best of times. You should not be even touching a keyboard when you are intoxicated.

Edited by WeneedLumme
  • Thanks 1

Miller Horvat Toffoili  (3 checking/ 3 scoring/ 2 playmaking 3 defence) Horvat needs wingers who can make plays and score

Motte Pettersson Boeser (1 checking/ 2 scoring/ 2 playmaking/ 2 defence) Motte will be like a Burrows player who compliments the line with his energy and defence 

Pearson Gaudette Leivo (3 checking/ 3 defence) 

Roussel Sutter Virtanen (3 checking/ 1 scoring/ 2 defence) - Virtanen should play with guys that are smart defensively 

Eriksson Beagle Ferland MacEwan Baertschi - Forward playoff options 

This lineup above, the Wild would destroy.

Try this

Miller Pettersson Toffoli (one of the best lines in hockey since Toffoli joined)

Pearson Horvat Boeser (Boeser needs to up his game)

Roussel Gaudette MacEwen ( Since MacEwen joined this line its been a driving force, Gaudette is better then Sutter and faster.)( Sutter only has the Edge in faceoffs 6%higher)

Virtanen/Motte  Beagle Sutter / Virtanen  ( Virtanen needs to drive the play make things happen.) ( Sutter needs to step up or he will be watching from the press box.)

Beagle is a playoff stud , MacEwen brings size and a scoring touch, Roussel needs step up as well. 

Everyone loves Motte, PP, hits. everyone wishes Jake would play like this.

Personally I would leave Sutter in the Press Box

and play

Motte Beagle Virtanen

3 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

What an incredibly stupid diatribe, even for you. You are barely able to form a coherent sentence at the best of times. You should not be even touching a keyboard when you are intoxicated.

you seem a little excited about this

Edited by lmm

8 hours ago, shayster007 said:

This makes zero sense at all. It is different. You can have what ever opinion you want to have, and I can have mine.

Based off how you spoke to me in our private message exchange weeks back, we have nothing to talk about. You resorted to name calling immediately and still haven't said anything worth listening to on the subject.

how is it diifferent?

2 hours ago, lmm said:

how is it diifferent?

If you don't know why it's different, this is a lost cause.

I attempted to open a conversation with you in private around this subject weeks ago. You ignored me, and when you finally responded it was unintelligent name calling. Those aren't the kind of conversations worth having. But since you seemingly won't drop it it..

Players excelling in their sport in memory of their biggest supporter is very common. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Marky play his best game of the year his first game back after the loss of his father? St. Louis scored a goal for his late mother in the playoffs a number of years ago. In 2010 Joannie Rochette the figure skater lost her mother, and decided to push forward for her. Ended up having one of he best performances of her life in the Olympics and became Canadas flag carrier.  

Tiger Woods lost his father, then man who taught him to golf. Once he came back, he won and said "I’m kind of the one who bottles things up a little bit and moves on, But at that moment, it just came pouring out. And of all the things that my father has meant to me and the game of golf, I just wish he would have seen it one more time.” 

This is a very common thing in sports. Often a athletes biggest fan was their parents. Parents of high level athletes sacrifice so much for their children, as do all parents. As a final memorial to play at an elevated level for the their inspiration is common and happens frequently. I could find dozens of other examples of this happening as well.

comparing what I said to all that crap is not only ridiculous but insanely disrespectful to the performances of these athletes for their late parents. I feel like you must believe in what your saying, or you wouldn't have blown up in our private messages with all that childish behavior. But you have a bias in place that is fogging your ability to see what I'm saying is a  logical and normal part of sports, and life in general. Loosing loved ones is some of the most difficult times in a person's life. Being able to excel through those times and make your loved ones proud is what every human strives to do.

If you would like to explain to me your point of view, and what I might be missing like I asked you to before, be my guest. But if your response is going to be overly emotional and rude like in our private exchange, let's just drop it.

Edited by shayster007
  • Upvote 2