The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] NHL Return To Play Thread (24 team play off, 15 team draft lottery)

Rate this topic

The NHL on Tuesday announced the protocol for the 2020 NHL Draft Lottery, to be held on a date to be determined.

The draft lottery will determine the first 15 picks in the 2020 NHL Draft and will include 3-6 drawings over one or two phases.

It will include the seven indentified teams that did not qualify for the 2020 Modified Playoff Tournament, plus eight teams that lose in the Qualifying Round.

The First Phase of the draft lottery will be held on June 26, prior to the qualifying rounds. It will consist of three drawings and be limited to the seven teams that did not qualify for the postseason.

The eight potential losing teams from the Qualifying Round will be represented in the First Phase of the draft lottery as unassigned picks.

The first drawing of the First Phase will set the team selecting No. 1 in the draft, the second drawing will set the team selecting No. 2, and the third drawing will set the team selecting No. 3.

If a team not in the bottom seven wins any of the first three drawings, a Second Phase will be conducted among the eight teams eliminated in the Qualifying Round. That would take place between the end of the Qualifying Round and the first round of the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

This is a half baked dumb idea.

Fans in the stands are what makes playoff exciting. This is beer league action. And what does that do to the start of next season? Anyways I can do without some slapped together nonsense like this will be.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

This is a half baked dumb idea.

Fans in the stands are what makes playoff exciting. This is beer league action. And what does that do to the start of next season? Anyways I can do without some slapped together nonsense like this will be.

Next season will be delayed. 

I'm very excited for what these playoffs will be. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

As a hockey fan I'm happy they're at least trying to figure out a plan.

As a traditionalist, this year's season and eventual cup winner is going to have a giant * beside it unfortunately. 

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1