The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] NHL Return To Play Thread (24 team play off, 15 team draft lottery)

Rate this topic

6 hours ago, Chicken. said:

With a fully healthy lineup Ericson damn well better be watching from the box seats im pumped for this team to be firing on all cylinders is what we need fresh bodies

My bet is LE sits. Part of the "hurry up and retire you bum" line of thinking. Maybe drop a few hints along the way on how he's riding the bus in Utica next season if he doesn't. 

8 hours ago, Dumb Nuck said:

To all you asterisk haters, eat my shorts, if we win it this year I’m gonna party like it’s 1994.

Please don't. 

I want not only the Canucks to win a cup.

I want to win it, without be ashamed of our city the next morning.

• Like 2

I am watching the ‘94 series between the Canucks and Laffers. It is startling to see how much the game has changed. The physicality has really been downgraded. ‘94 almost anything went. 

My my goodness but was Mike Gardner a beautiful player to watch. The series also reminds me why I still consider Trevor Linden the greatest Canuck. He did everything a player could do in that CUP run. 

• Cheers 2

12 hours ago, Setyoureyesontheprize said:

Did Bettman say that players don’t have to be quarantined in the states? That’s not  a stellar public health strategy, we know it only takes one case to spread quickly.  

I think every state has different rules so I think its more a localized health policy decision. Vegas e.g., probably wouldn't enforce any quarantines.

I do wonder how Canadian players will vote if they can't play in Canada during this. It also seems to me like Daly has already decided on a US hub. It would be the safest thing to have 2 Canadian cities but we're taking Daly after all. 

55 minutes ago, mll said:

From yesterday:

that seems like a dumb reason to me tbh. Whats so different about this year that teams can't bring in ELCs for the playoffs? My guess is teams like Boston and Tampa don't have any more McAvoy's in the pipeline so they are pushing for it. Makes no sense to me. 

18 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

that seems like a dumb reason to me tbh. Whats so different about this year that teams can't bring in ELCs for the playoffs? My guess is teams like Boston and Tampa don't have any more McAvoy's in the pipeline so they are pushing for it. Makes no sense to me. 

Makes no sense to me either.  Kind of wonder if that rule is not here to stay beyond just this season.  Teams are going to expand their rosters beyond the 23 players - surprised that they don't want to allow new ELCs like in past years.   

Edited by mll

2 minutes ago, mll said:

Makes no sense to me either.  Kind of wonder if that rule is not here to stay beyond just this season.  Teams are going to expand their rosters beyond the 23 players - surprised that they don't want to allow new ELCs like in past years.   

that just makes it worse. It would be great experience for an ELC to be around for this run even if its just for the practice time and they don't see a shift. 

It'll be interesting to see how much the NHLPA pushes back. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

that just makes it worse. It would be great experience for an ELC to be around for this run even if its just for the practice time and they don't see a shift. 

It'll be interesting to see how much the NHLPA pushes back. 

It might be that the league/teams don't like that burn a year of the ELC over just a few games - players reach their 2nd contract earlier.  

2 minutes ago, mll said:

It might be that the league/teams don't like that burn a year of the ELC over just a few games - players reach their 2nd contract earlier.  

I think some GMs like to use that as a negation tool. The positive side of that is you can get a player who has no leverage as an RFA that isn't offer sheet eligible. So it can work out well for a GM as well for a kid to burn a year depending on how you want to look at it. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I am watching the ‘94 series between the Canucks and Laffers. It is startling to see how much the game has changed. The physicality has really been downgraded. ‘94 almost anything went. 

My my goodness but was Mike Gardner a beautiful player to watch. The series also reminds me why I still consider Trevor Linden the greatest Canuck. He did everything a player could do in that CUP run. 

I counted at least 40 penalties in the second period alone if that game was played today.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, luckylager said:

Lockout years say *hi! 

Or the league could just have all the games here. 50% of the players in the league have already quarantined.

Daly = Dumbass

Ya, that is the part that is annoying.  It isn’t even a consideration to have both hubs in Canada to avoid that.

I guess it will be cheaper to have teams in their home practice facilities for the training camps, but it also increases the risk because they certainly won’t be in a bubble while at home with their families.

The bubble should start at the beginning of training camp, that is less risk for it all falling apart, and resolved any 14 day quarantine issue in Canada.

• Cheers 2

Thought Benning's last comment in the tweets above about holding the training camp in the US was interesting.  I can see the concern, bring Markstrom and Petterson back and have them sit at home for 2 weeks without access to ice or weight rooms.  Doesn't bode well for their prep for training camp.  

16 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Because every other fan base will be mad that their team didn’t win and claim there should be one.

Honestly if we win our first cup I could care less about the circumstances. Sure it would be way better with the fans there to celebrate but a cups a cup.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but just about every fan base complains about the winning team EVERY year, regardless of the circumstances. Doesn't matter which team wins, the same rhetoric will always follow from certain fans...league helped you win, refs were on your side, media wanted your team to win, Bettman fixed it for your team, yada...yada...yada.  This year it's just gonna be a little worse. 

4 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think some GMs like to use that as a negation tool. The positive side of that is you can get a player who has no leverage as an RFA that isn't offer sheet eligible. So it can work out well for a GM as well for a kid to burn a year depending on how you want to look at it. 

True.

The Islanders are now at risk of losing top goalie prospect Sorokin because of that decision.  He's under a lot of pressure to extend back home.  Same for the Wild with Kaprisov who could delay coming over till 2021/22.

Edited by mll
  • Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, mll said:

True.

The Islanders are now at risk of losing top goalie prospect Sorokin because of that decision.  He's under a lot of pressure to extend back home.  Same for the Wild with Kaprisov who could delay coming over till 2021/22.

This would be beneficial for the Canucks when we play them for the play in games.

22 hours ago, Fanuck said:

As a hockey fan I'm happy they're at least trying to figure out a plan.

As a traditionalist, this year's season and eventual cup winner is going to have a giant * beside it unfortunately. 

May as well be the Nucks then.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1