The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) Demko to Ottawa

Just now, mll said:

Benning was recently talking of getting a 2nd round pick back at the draft - he says they have too many bodies and have to make some trades.

And I want a date with Brie Larson. Who has the better chance? 

with the cap very likely staying flat 1st and 2nd rounders are even more important that before. Its not going to be easy. 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

And I want a date with Brie Larson. Who has the better chance? 

with the cap very likely staying flat 1st and 2nd rounders are even more important that before. Its not going to be easy. 

I don't see it either.  

It wouldn't surprise me if the cap stays flat but that some owners ask their GMs to operate below the cap to be closer to revenue - ie set an internal cap.  They could decide to scale back and wait for better times before spending back at the cap.  There is going to be so much uncertainty around revenue and not all owners might be willing to spend (they might also not have the funds).  It depends how affected their businesses have been.  Some teams have furloughed employees, others have cut back salary and some have even fired employees.  

The revenue situation could put more good players on the market which will make it even more challenging to move bad contracts.

1 hour ago, mll said:

I don't see it either.  

It wouldn't surprise me if the cap stays flat but that some owners ask their GMs to operate below the cap to be closer to revenue - ie set an internal cap.  They could decide to scale back and wait for better times before spending back at the cap.  There is going to be so much uncertainty around revenue and not all owners might be willing to spend (they might also not have the funds).  It depends how affected their businesses have been.  Some teams have furloughed employees, others have cut back salary and some have even fired employees.  

The revenue situation could put more good players on the market which will make it even more challenging to move bad contracts.

it will just be prohibitively expensive. My feeling now is Jim will simply have to do whats within his control, and thats two buyouts and sending people to Utica to bury as much cap hit as possible. 

20 hours ago, qwijibo said:

Hogberg and Demko have very similar stats (with Hogberg playing on a much worse team). I doubt they’d have much interest in taking on Ericksson for 2 years for a goalie or roughly the same caliber of what they already have 

I really feel this is a god realistic trade..Ottawa need to get to bottom floor of cap and Erickson counts as 6 million even though he gets paid 3 million..I don't think Ottawa will give up there top 4 pick for Demko.. Won't happen Daccord is there goalie of the future 23, 6'2, 2.61 GAA - SV% 916

I say early 2nd round pick say 38th and good young prospect like Logan Brown or Batherson...

Edited by wildcam

33 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

it will just be prohibitively expensive. My feeling now is Jim will simply have to do whats within his control, and thats two buyouts and sending people to Utica to bury as much cap hit as possible. 

I agree and if we don't sign Tanev to  4.8 million spend that on other RFA's like Markstrom 5.8 mil , Virtanene 3.2 mil, MacEwen 900 , Leivo 1.8 mil,

Sign Taffloi 4 yrs x 4.8 ---- 

Then Jim can trade from his strongest position wing! - Miller, Taffoli, Boeser, Pearson, Virtanen, Leivo, Ferland, MacEwn, Roussel, Motte

Miller won't be traded.. 

Boeser 5.9 million will get you a top #2 D man back, Boeser will bring back best return in a trade...  Defence is the weakest position and we need a young solid D man under 27 that can play over 22 mins per game with Hughes...Need to look after Edler better playing over 23 mins against other teams top lines at age 34....We need to manage Edlers mins to around 20 mins and keep him healthy..

Edited by wildcam

11 minutes ago, wildcam said:

I agree and if we don't sign Tanev to  4.8 million spend that on other RFA's like Markstrom 5.8 mil , Virtanene 3.2 mil, MacEwen 900 , Leivo 1.8 mil,

Sign Taffloi 4 yrs x 4.8 ---- 

Then Jim can trade from his strongest position wing! - Miller, Taffoli, Boeser, Pearson, Virtanen, Leivo, Ferland, MacEwn, Roussel, Motte

Miller won't be traded.. 

Boeser 5.9 million will get you a top #2 D man back, Boeser will bring back best return in a trade...  Defence is the weakest position and we need a young solid D man under 27 that can play over 22 mins per game with Hughes...Need to look after Edler better playing over 23 mins against other teams top lines at age 34....We need to manage Edlers mins to around 20 mins and keep him healthy..

Leivo might be a good bargain add for one more year. I woudn't go over 2 mil for him tho.

I think we need to hang on to Boeser, but I would consider moving Jake for the right defensive upgrade. I don't think Jake is going to see much top 6 time of TT is re-signed. 

2 hours ago, wildcam said:

I really feel this is a god realistic trade..Ottawa need to get to bottom floor of cap and Erickson counts as 6 million even though he gets paid 3 million..I don't think Ottawa will give up there top 4 pick for Demko.. Won't happen Daccord is there goalie of the future 23, 6'2, 2.61 GAA - SV% 916

I say early 2nd round pick say 38th and good young prospect like Logan Brown or Batherson...

Ottawa has $41m committed to only 9 players for the 20/21 season. Assuming a cap floor of $61m, that’s $20m split between 14 more players. They aren’t going to have any issue hitting the cap floor.  I don’t see this as an appealing trade to Ottawa in any way 

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Leivo might be a good bargain add for one more year. I woudn't go over 2 mil for him tho.

I think we need to hang on to Boeser, but I would consider moving Jake for the right defensive upgrade. I don't think Jake is going to see much top 6 time of TT is re-signed. 

We need at least a #3 D man and jake will not have the same trade Value..Defence is so important we have depth on wing and 2 young 19 year olds if lucky the big Russian could be here next March after KHL season..

To get that very important #2 D man that can log over 23 mins will cost us..Jake will not get that kind of player...

Always say trade from depth which is wing.... We will be fine without Boeser.. Think of how much this stud D man will add to offence moving puck up the ice fast...

46 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Ottawa has $41m committed to only 9 players for the 20/21 season. Assuming a cap floor of $61m, that’s $20m split between 14 more players. They aren’t going to have any issue hitting the cap floor.  I don’t see this as an appealing trade to Ottawa in any way 

I agree I don't think they would really be interested in Demko and for sure they won't give up there 1st rounder for Demko...

On 5/28/2020 at 1:39 PM, Kobayashi Maru said:

As much as I really like Demko this approach actually has some merit for both sides.  We have to pay to keep Demko from Seattle most likely (Which I am in favour of doing) but we basically move Loui to confirm Toffoli stays.  It works for us and it would work for them as having two goalie options confirms that one of them will succeed.  They are not competing next year and their core is on ELCs so they are fine either way.  Interesting idea.

when put this way, it's like Demko,Eriksson for a 3rd and Toffoli sounds a little better. I'm just so worried about after Markstrom is done, then what? Demkos numbers are about the same as Markstoms at the same age

so i have been out of the loop

was markstrom re-signed? didn't hear anything about that

so i checked..  and ... no

so the team will trade it's only under contract nhl goalie?

cuz?   why??   when??

alrighty then
i'm sure marky is thrilled

how about he asks for 6 x 7.5 years with a nmc

what's the team gonna do when demko is gone?

let marky walk as an ufa?

what leverage does the team have? none

marky has it all

so yeah, marky is fully behind this proposal

why would the team do this???

i mean really? why??

• Upvote 1

On 5/29/2020 at 12:26 AM, mll said:

A trade for Demko alone maybe but tagged to Eriksson don't see it.  Nielsen, Abdelkader are still on their books so unless the Canucks take one back there's no real benefit to bring in Demko at the cost of tying them down with another slowed down veteran.

Demko is a young goalie.  His numbers aren't great.  It could limit his development to play behind such a bad team.  I think he's more likely to find a veteran goalie to replace Howard until their team has improved - also buys time for their goalie prospects to continue to develop.

Several teams are going to have to move good players to create cap space.  I could see him more approaching teams with cap issues and getting a good player in return rather than take on cap dumps for players who don't help their team take a step into contender status.  

With the Canucks desperately needing cap space - the cost to create it is a fair bit higher.  Teams know that Benning wants to sign Toffoli, Markstrom etc.  Some teams are probably hoping these guys don't re-sign and get to UFA instead.  Because the Canucks need cap space it's going to cost more to trade their bad contracts. 

Absolutely.   Any LE trade is going to cost US a good young player and or a good pick(s).   All teams knew TO was over a barrel, factually a lot more so then us given they’d signed their young core for a mint and desperately needed to make space for them...it cost them a first for one year of Marleau, who was still more useful as a player then LE currently is...so what’s two years going to cost us?  Delmko and a first - or JV and a first would be my guess ...

Question to the CDC...what would Demko get us back straight up pick wise?  I’d say maybe a second.   Goalies are easy to acquire - and even the OP includes that in the reasoning behind trading Demko in the first place as capable seasoned vets can be signed for around 2 x 2 often enough.   Whomever is willing to play ball must also be willing to protect Demko as well. He’s not ready for number one duties (yet) but us progressing and had some great games for us this year (as well as some mediocre and bad ones too). 

Lack had a couple years of around .920 sp when we traded him away .... a well liked and good teammate ... what did we get again?   Nilsson has a .920 sp when we got him ... what was the cost again?  

To get a first back I believe we’d need to dangling something else as the main guy.   JV makes sense if we plan to sign TT too...excess of R wingers.   And hate to even say this as I think it’s a terrible idea - trading BB is probably the guy we’d have to move to get a first back. 

On 5/29/2020 at 11:24 AM, Jimmy McGill said:

well.... damn. Then the only way to keep Toffoli e.g,. is to buy out Sutter, Baer and put Loui in Utica. That might just cover the cost. 

Or Jim is going to have to pay the price other teams have and lose a 1st rounder to shed Loui. 

No good options really unless the league brings in compliance buyouts but you've posted reasons why that might not happen either. 

Wonder how JB feels now with all that’s going on.   He seemed very confident that we didn’t have cap issues coming mid-way through the season...Head in the sand or does he have an ace in the hole?   LE won’t cost less then Marleau that’s for sure - In fact it would be a bit of a steal for us given he’s got two years left and he only had one.  Have been saying for two years now that we just have to take our medicine until he’s done.  Luongo is done at the same time too.   Just hope that when the time comes in two years that we don’t waste it on another overpriced free agent.  Instead use it to for raises and plugging minor holes. 

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Wonder how JB feels now with all that’s going on.   He seemed very confident that we didn’t have cap issues coming mid-way through the season...Head in the sand or does he have an ace in the hole?   LE won’t cost less then Marleau that’s for sure - In fact it would be a bit of a steal for us given he’s got two years left and he only had one.  Have been saying for two years now that we just have to take our medicine until he’s done.  Luongo is done at the same time too.   Just hope that when the time comes in two years that we don’t waste it on another overpriced free agent.  Instead use it to for raises and plugging minor holes. 

I wonder if he does have something worked out already too. 

I do think its going to be expensive to move Loui, along the lines of maybe even Demko or a 1st, or some combo of prospects that includes Rathbone and Lind. Its going to suck, but the team that left is going to be very young skilled and competitive so that will make it hurt less.