The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks to part ways with Judd Bracket

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

6 hours ago, Squamfan said:

Fire Benning!!!!!!!!!!! The Canucks are going back to crappy drafting.

What are you talking about?????????

Judd Bracket was a part time scout 5 years ago?? Jim Benning always had the final say?????? Judd Bracket got to high on himself glad he is gone..

Jim Benning is the brains behind the final picks so nothing will change..

Benning is on 650 right now he has always wants 4 picks ever year to be NHL players..

Glad Brackets gone nothing willl change Jim Benning has always had final say and this is what caused Benning letting Bracket go...

Judd Bracket wanted full control??? No way ridiculous ..

Remember Bracket was part time scout 5 years ago, Jim just give him a bigger role butt Bracket was never making final decision....

Look at Bennings  1st year Bracket had nothing to do with that draft year? 

Nothing will change Benning already has few guys ready to take over this position....Go luck Judd Bracket, Mr Benning made this rookie scout...

Edited by wildcam
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Canucks Curse said:

JBen would never give full autonomy on the draft to someone else, JBen is most comfortable when scouting, that's the pat of GMing he has the most experience- he is right tho, he did nurture JBrack. 

We all love Linden, but Benning has way more experience and TL was a rookie when it came to managing/operations. Rumour was TL was against bringing in Quinn Hughes this early, against trading picks like the Miller and Toffoli trades (which happened after he left) and it looks like JB was right- Hughes was ready and it was time to bring guys like miller and toff in- could it be that JB is competent?????

Wow Linden was against a bunch of things that happened a year after he left?

Hughes had literally just been drafted when Linden was fired and had already committed to going back to school.  There was no decision being made, and hence no possible disagreement.  He was also gone long before any Miller or Toffoli trades happened.

You literally made your entire post up and screwed up the timeline because you didn’t bother to fact check.

He WAS apparently against signing a bunch of veteran UFAs to long term deals that summer... turns out he was really right.  We could have picked up bargain basement vets for the bottom of the roster on 1 year deals and we would have been in amazing cap shape to make more Miller type deals or get more assets from cap strapped teams.

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Over hyped, this whole issue has been highly overrated.

Ultimately, things changed when Benning arrived and gave our scouting the direction and directive that they needed. Everywhere he's gone, they have had good scouting. Its about setting expectations and bringing in good people to fulfill your plan.

Benning is the key to our success because he gave the direction. He'll appoint a suitable replacement and we'll move forward the same as we have been since he took charge.

Yes yes, nothing will change Jim Benning always had final say on picks and will continue..So happy Judd was a part time scout 5 years ago... Good luck. Benning made  Bracket look good as head of scouting..... 

Edited by wildcam
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I truly hope Brackett gets a chance at an AGM job somewhere or maybe even a full GM and succeeds...just not as much as us. Brackett truly moved through the ranks very quickly and I think our good drafting aligns with both the moment he became head of amateur scouting and Benning's arrival. The two made a great team, though as others have pointed out, we've had many other great scouts as well. It looks like Benning and the Canucks offered to keep Brackett, but he rightly wants an opportunity at a more prestigious position and he definitely deserves it. I'm not worried for the Canucks and I'm excited for Brackett to get a shot at more spotlight and fame.

Worried why?? benign has always had final say in picks that is why we drafted so good... Judd was a part time scout when Jim took over?? That says it all??

I think we'll see the results of this over the next 2-3 drafts. If the Canucks' picks don't pan out, then we know the impact that Brackett brought upon the team.

Benning and Weisbrod's incompetence has led to this team being in cap hell for the next few seasons. The fact that a team that just finished a rebuild is going to struggle to re-sign key players (Toffoli, Tanev, Markstrom) because of the albatross contracts on the team (Sutter, Roussel, Myers, Eriksson, Beagle) is absolutely ridiculous. I really hope they continue to do well in the only positive aspect of the organization (drafting and development). 

2 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Worried why?? benign has always had final say in picks that is why we drafted so good... Judd was a part time scout when Jim took over?? That says it all??

I think you misunderstood my post. I distinctly said I wasn't worried.

7 minutes ago, Darkstar said:

I think we'll see the results of this over the next 2-3 drafts. If the Canucks' picks don't pan out, then we know the impact that Brackett brought upon the team.

Benning and Weisbrod's incompetence has led to this team being in cap hell for the next few seasons. The fact that a team that just finished a rebuild is going to struggle to re-sign key players (Toffoli, Tanev, Markstrom) because of the albatross contracts on the team (Sutter, Roussel, Myers, Eriksson, Beagle) is absolutely ridiculous. I really hope they continue to do well in the only positive aspect of the organization (drafting and development). 

Not one of those other contracts is an 'albatross'.

The only albatross contract we have, is Eriksson.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 3

1 hour ago, Darkstar said:

Your out to lunch?/ Guess you don't like the Miller trade either..The team is in great shape and depth is best in over 20 years?

What team are you talking about..

Depth at centre under 25... Pettersson - Horvat - Gaudett..

Wing Top - Miller - Taffoli - Boeser - Pearson - Virtanen - MacEwen - Leivo -- Podkolzin 19 -- Hoglander 19 - Lind -22

D men -- Hughes, Stetcher - Meyers -- Rafferty - Rathbone - Juolevi -- Briesbois

Goalie -- Dipietro 20 -- Kielly 23- Silovs 19---- Really developed Markstrom to a top 10 goalie being patient...

Benning has done a fantastic job since 2014.... Canucks are going to be even stronger next year..

Edited by wildcam
  • Cheers 2

Just now, wildcam said:

Your out to lunch?/ Guess you don't like the Miller trade either..The team is in great shape and depth is best in over 20 years?

What team are you talking about..

Depth at centre under 25... Pettersson - Horvat - Gaudett..

Wing Top - Miller - Taffoli - Boeser - Pearson - Virtanen - MacEwen - Leivo -- Podkolzin 19 -- Hoglander 19 - Lind -22

D men -- Hughes, Stetcher - Meyers -- Rafferty - Rathbone - Juolevi -- Briesbois

Goalie -- Dipietro 20 -- Kielly 23- Silovs 19---- Really developed Markstrom to a top 10 goalie being patient...

Benning had done a fantastic job since 2014.... Canucks are going to be even stronger next year..

Once again. I said the only positive aspect of the team is drafting and development. You just reiterated my point lol.

I actually really liked the Miller trade at the time. Thought it was a rare and excellent acquisition by Benning and co. 

I like the team going forward. But I don't like the potential for these ridiculous contracts to cause the Canucks to lose some of the above players that you are talking about. 

17 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Not one of those other contracts is an 'albatross'.

The only albatross contract we have, is Eriksson.

Let me explain further. If the Canucks had 1 or 2 of those contracts, it wouldn't be as bad. You do need veteran depth players to fill out a roster. The fact that the team has Beagle, Sutter, Roussel, and Eriksson making over 3 million a year, all of whom can barely crack the top 9 of the roster, is an "albatross". It would be a different scenario if the Canucks had a top 3 PK in the league, as some of the above mentioned players are known to be half-decent defensively. But the Canucks are paying a premium for the 16th best PK in the league. I can't think of many teams in the league that pay as much as the Canucks to fill out the fourth line. 

It's worrisome because it feels as though the team doesn't learn from this, and that they will sign another 4th line guy to a 3-4 million dollar contract once these are moved out, instead of re-signing the key pieces on the team.

Edited by Darkstar

16 minutes ago, Darkstar said:

Let me explain further. If the Canucks had 1 or 2 of those contracts, it wouldn't be as bad. You do need veteran depth players to fill out a roster. The fact that the team has Beagle, Sutter, Roussel, and Eriksson making over 3 million a year, all of whom can barely crack the top 9 of the roster, is an "albatross". It would be a different scenario if the Canucks had a top 3 PK in the league, as some of the above mentioned players are known to be half-decent defensively. But the Canucks are paying a premium for the 16th best PK in the league. I can't think of many teams in the league that pay as much as the Canucks to fill out the fourth line. 

It's worrisome because it feels as though the team doesn't learn from this, and that they will sign another 4th line guy to a 3-4 million dollar contract once these are moved out, instead of re-signing the key pieces on the team.

No, it feels like those contracts pretty much all expire over the next couple years just when we need to start paying young core guys...almost like it was planned that way or something.

I have zero fears we'll be signing $3-$4m 4th liners and letting Pettersson walk. Seriously the narratives in this joint are just whacky sometimes :lol:

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, aGENT said:

No, it feels like those contracts pretty much all expire over the next couple years just when we need to start paying young core guys...almost like it was planned that way or something.

I have zero fears we'll be signing $3-$4m 4th liners and letting Pettersson walk. Seriously the narratives in this joint are just whacky sometimes :lol:

Nobody said Pettersson is going to walk. Toffoli, Tanev, and/or Markstrom on the other hand...

All those contracts (minus Sutter) will continue on even when Pettersson, Hughes, Virtanen, Gaudette, Demko, etc will need to re-sign. It's obvious that the Canucks are going to re-sign Pettersson And Hughes, but it's going to be difficult keeping a young core together when you have so much invested in "depth" players. The narrative is just following the historical record over the past seasons. 

Edit: I completely forgot that the Canucks were trying to add Wayne Simmonds at the deadline, which continues the narrative of adding over-paid depth pieces.

Edited by Darkstar

2 minutes ago, Darkstar said:

Nobody said Pettersson is going to walk. Toffoli, Tanev, and/or Markstrom on the other hand...

All those contracts (minus Sutter) will continue on even when Pettersson, Hughes, Virtanen, Gaudette, Demko, etc will need to re-sign. It's obvious that the Canucks are going to re-sign Pettersson And Hughes, but it's going to be difficult keeping a young core together when you have so much invested in "depth" players. The narrative is just following the historical record over the past seasons. 

No sense in panicking until we find out what the league is doing regarding the covid revenue drop issue. Is there a compliance buyout? Salary cuts? Both? Something else? Never mind how many other teams are in the same/similar situation (and the effect that will likely have on driving upcoming contracts down).

If we're lucky enough to be able to nix Eriksson's deal, we might very well be able to retain all three of Tanev, Toffoli and Markstrom. At most, we're likely only losing one regardless.

And the year after there's more cap coming off as well as a player (and their cap) going in the ED. And the year after that, more again.

Is there work to be done? Sure. But some of you act like we have the cap equivalent of Everast to climb and the reality is far different and less terrifying. 

• Cheers 2