The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks to part ways with Judd Bracket

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

16 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

I mean, I love the Canucks... I just can't imagine ever getting to a point in my life where I would get so emotional about a scout/GM. 

Also, how arrogant are people to think that they actually have a clue what definitely does/does not happen in the Canucks' organization. Maybe Benning is a grandiose, delusional asshole. Maybe he is forward-thinking and recognized that a scout wasn't going to add enough to justify a bigger role? I have no idea. I don't know why other people think that they do. 

I would bet that it is a simple a case of personality incompatibility. You can work with people that you do not jive with if the two of you maintain your distance and respect. However, after 12 years in the Canucks organization, I'm sure Judd Bracket feels that he has earned the right to be blunt and persistent with J.B. with absolute good intentions/motives.  I am sure that J.B. in his own way gave Judd a lot of rope. However, once distance is no longer there, conflict and friction build up, and the respect may be infringed upon. Once certain things are said, they can never be taken back. 

In my humble experience, people like J.B. who have a soft mild manner may be the easiest people to tick off. They tend to emphasize long term relationships founded upon low conflict and empathy. Whereas people that are aggressive and rude tend to forget the insults eventually and focus on the transaction aspects of the relationship. They tend to enjoy arguments and disagreements as a form of entertainment. They get the rush from it and need to start arguments to have fun. 

Just now, Rush17 said:

How do you know what Jim hates? lol. Like seriously... Jim made him the director of scouting because he liked what he brought to the table. Hate.. such a strong word that should not be used lightly. Did they have disagreements? no doubt.. dislike each other I doubt even that.

Sarcasm detector broken? :P

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

Ulitmately, I do think that this is a case of Brackett simply wanting more or even just another start. Of course, Benning did his due diligence and offered him a contract. If Brackett wants to part ways with the Canucks, why should we stop him or vilify him or Benning?

Of course, all of that is just speculation, but that hasn't stopped CDC/Reddit/HF before.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Rush17 said:

How do you know what Jim hates? lol. Like seriously... Jim made him the director of scouting because he liked what he brought to the table. Hate.. such a strong word that should not be used lightly. Did they have disagreements? no doubt.. dislike each other I doubt even that.

I met Jim and his wife on an elevator once, thats how (thats actually true).

Good people move on within industries. But for some reason a few people need 'black hat white hat' stories. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Rush17 said:

Judd only reached his level of exceptionalism because of the structure and belief Jim Benning created and placed in him. I wish him the best and we will do just fine without him. Give it 2 years and this won't seem like big news. Judd was the director of scouting. All of those NCAA recommendations came from the entire scouting staff not just Judd. Best of luck fella. We want to win a cup and I trust Jim's talent evaluation over that of Judd. Jim has a ring and was the one that transformed our scouting department. I have no fears.

I think a lot of people forget the first bolded.

Heh, I'm not overly worried but I hope you're right about the 2nd bolded :P.  I do wonder what Weisbrod does so well that seemingly makes him so important.

Edited by Wilbur

Not ideal, but probably not a s big a deal as people are going to make it out to be.  Our team is stacked with young talent, and our pipeline is still loaded.  Drafting will always be critical to a teams success, but the next phase of the Canucks build toward contention is going to hinge of JB's ability to sign our FA's, UFA's and trades.  

• Vintage 1

Listen to what Bracket wanted. Total autonomy in drafting.  What kind of GM would let a scout have total control of drafting?  He is basically saying I know better than you. The GM's job is to be the one to make the final decision. If not then he shouldn't be GM. 

I will add for someone to think like that they must think they were the reason for a lot of the teams success or saw picks they wanted turn into great players... there has to be some reason why someone would want that autonomy so badly.

Edited by peaches5
  • Like 1
  • Wat 1

3 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

Listen to what Bracket wanted. Total autonomy in drafting.  What kind of GM would let a scout have total control of drafting?  He is basically saying I know better than you. The GM's job is to be the one to make the final decision. If not then he shouldn't be GM. 

I will add for someone to think like that they must think they were the reason for a lot of the teams success or saw picks they wanted turn into great players... there has to be some reason why someone would want that autonomy so badly.

Man you are suggesting that Judd Bracket is the one who does not wish to have his decisions questioned. 

1 minute ago, Maddogy said:

Man you are suggesting that Judd Bracket is the one who does not wish to have his decisions questioned. 

Bracket is the one who wanted total autonomy and if what people are saying here is true JB didn't select the players he wanted to. He went by committee so I have no idea what the &^@# you are talking about.

• Wat 1

11 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

Bracket is the one who wanted total autonomy and if what people are saying here is true JB didn't select the players he wanted to. He went by committee so I have no idea what the &^@# you are talking about.

Actually Benning said publicly back when Gear was promoted that he did it so he and Weisbrod could be more involved in day to day scouting.  He literally said out loud, directly that he wanted to take more control of Brackett’s department.  Good leaders hire the best people and let them do their job.

Benning never said that Brackett wanted total autonomy.

So what we know for a fact indicates a lot more that Brackett didn’t want a reduced role... not some sort of total autonomy.

Edited by Provost
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, BCNate said:

Our team is stacked with young talent, and our pipeline is still loaded.

Ah no, and we're at the cap so even if it was this regime won't have the foresight nor the capspace to sign them all.

People, go look at Mike Mulbury's tenure as Islander GM.  He is the perfect example on why you need to do more than just scout well to be a competent GM in this league.  

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Tre Mac said:

Ah no, and we're at the cap so even if it was this regime won't have the foresight nor the capspace to sign them all.

People, go look at Mike Mulbury's tenure as Islander GM.  He is the perfect example on why you need to do more than just scout well to be a competent GM in this league.  

Not sure what your point is.  JB has been great at signing our FA's, and equally as good over the past three years in trade market.  Our pipeline right now is as stocked as it's been at any point in our teams history outside the last 5 years.