The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks to part ways with Judd Bracket

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

This sucks. Really bad move for the Canucks. And this turned into yet another PR blunder for Benning and co. They're really going to have to hit it out of the park in terms of drafting in the next two years to really remind people of who we lost.

That said, Canucks are moving out a rebuild and Brackett moving to a team with lots of draft picks does make sense. I can see him landing somewhere on the East Coast (he's based in the Boston area, if I'm not mistaken) with a team that's stock piling picks... Or, and I've been wondering about this, will Brackett try for a GM job or Assistant GM job? Could be time for him to seek a promotion elsewhere.

But based on our luck, I bet he becomes director of amateur scouting for the Seattle expansion team hahaha.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Quantum said:

This sucks. Really bad move for the Canucks. And this turned into yet another PR blunder for Benning and co. They're really going to have to hit it out of the park in terms of drafting in the next two years to really remind people of who we lost.

That said, Canucks are moving out a rebuild and Brackett moving to a team with lots of draft picks does make sense. I can see him landing somewhere on the East Coast (he's based in the Boston area, if I'm not mistaken) with a team that's stock piling picks... Or, and I've been wondering about this, will Brackett try for a GM job or Assistant GM job? Could be time for him to seek a promotion elsewhere.

But based on our luck, I bet he becomes director of amateur scouting for the Seattle expansion team hahaha.

Maybe he will take Loui off our hands then? ;)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

22 minutes ago, Provost said:

Actually Benning said publicly back when Gear was promoted that he did it so he and Weisbrod could be more involved in day to day scouting.  He literally said out loud, directly that he wanted to take more control of Brackett’s department.  Good leaders hire the best people and let them do their job.

Benning never said that Brackett wanted total autonomy.

So what we know for a fact indicates a lot more that Brackett didn’t want a reduced role... not some sort of total autonomy.

Actually, You are wrong. The General Managers job is to make the final decision. They are the one who loses their job if the team doesn't do well. They are the ones who were hired based off the vision they sold to ownership. Benning was a scout he is familiar with the job he can do the job. Benning listened to his scouts based off the reports of him wanting other players than what were selected. Bracket is the one who had a problem with being a team player. He didn't want to answer to JB. He wanted to select the players and have JB sign off it. 

Thanks to Bracket for his service and the best of luck. But really, one guy does not a scouting department make. And I honestly can't recall seeing news like this coming out for other teams when guys in similar positions have left, is this a Vancouver media hysteria thing? 

I'm confident we'll continue to get quality drafting from the team in place, and if guys leave we'll bring more guys in. 

Money isn't an issue, as much as we like to complain about Aquaman at times he's definitely there financially. They did their due diligence and offered Bracket a contract, it wasn't to his liking and he chose to move on but they still made him what they felt was a fair offer. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

Actually, You are wrong. The General Managers job is to make the final decision. They are the one who loses their job if the team doesn't do well. They are the ones who were hired based off the vision they sold to ownership. Benning was a scout he is familiar with the job he can do the job. Benning listened to his scouts based off the reports of him wanting other players than what were selected. Bracket is the one who had a problem with being a team player. He didn't want to answer to JB. He wanted to select the players and have JB sign off it. 

You still haven’t posted Benning saying that Brackett wanted total autonomy.  Batchelor theorizing about it doesn’t count.

I didn’t say that Benning doesn’t or shouldn’t have final say.  That is entirely different than him and Weisbrod taking over day to day scouting like he literally said they were going to do several months ago.  One is what leaders do, and the other is what micro managers do.

There is zero evidence that Brackett didn’t want to be a team player.  It is also super bad form for Benning to be dropping comments about the whole situation while Brackett has a gag order on him and can’t respond.

13 minutes ago, Quantum said:

Actually it'd be worse if he went to the leafs and used his knowledge of this years draft class(which he is allowed to do) and drafted them a stud or two.

17 minutes ago, Quantum said:

8 minutes ago, Provost said:

You still haven’t posted Benning saying that Brackett wanted total autonomy.  Batchelor theorizing about it doesn’t count.

I didn’t say that Benning doesn’t or shouldn’t have final say.  That is entirely different than him and Weisbrod taking over day to day scouting like he literally said they were going to do several months ago.  One is what leaders do, and the other is what micro managers do.

There is zero evidence that Brackett didn’t want to be a team player.  It is also super bad form for Benning to be dropping comments about the whole situation while Brackett has a gag order on him and can’t respond.

You just don't want to admit you're blatantly wrong. 

• Cheers 2

Did Benning specifically mention Ryan Biech?

Maybe Biecher will be running the draft table for 2021? ;)

Then again, before the reshuffle and promotion, Brackett was just a part-time USHL scout, so you never know...

I’m gonna miss Brackett. I’m sure he’ll have no problem landing a new job though. And while he was very successful in his role, he’s hardly irreplaceable.

In fact, here’s one option for replacing Judd:

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/northeastern-future-roster-huskies-projections-recruits/

That’s Northeastern’s recruitment chart for the next 4 years. It’s a good place to start. :lol:

(I’m kidding... well, mostly ;))

9 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

You just don't want to admit you're blatantly wrong. 

That literally doesn’t say that he is demanding full autonomy.

Having conditions are significantly more likely to be “I want the ability to hire my own scouts like every other Director of Scouting has” or “I want the same responsibilities I had up to this year and not less”.

Considering Benning said publicly he and Weisbrod were going to take over more of his department, that is far more likely than Brackett asking for something that has never existed in the history of any organization.

Add to the history of other folks being pushed out by Benning and Weisbrod in power plays, it doesn’t add up to what you are saying.

Edited by Provost
  • Upvote 1